PDA

View Full Version : Health board propaganda?

Fifi
06-Jan-05, 13:34
Did anyone else see the news article last night which was supposedly about Caithness General and midwives saying they do not think there would be any safety issues in them running the maternity service?

The lead in mentiond CGH but when the article came on it was midwives in Easter Ross talking about home births and there was a mention of the set up in Skye, which is midwife-led. The report did not link the situations in any way with Wick and rambled on about the increasing number of requested home births, implying that women in remote areas are preffering this approach with midwfe backup. (They neglected to mention the fact that the women in Easter Ross were probably pretty close to Raigmore if required)

It was a disjointed, ill-informed piece of reporting and my first thoughts were to wonder what had prompted it at all? It seemed to just be a piece of propaganda to say that 'all' midwives think that midwife-led units are safe, give freedom of choice and should not be seen as down grading. However, this article did not include any comments from Caithness midwives or mention the facts involved in the whole CGH situation.

What prompted this report? Is the Highland Health Board trying to stir up support for down grading by using subtle (?) reporting? What did you think of the presentation of the report?

webmannie
06-Jan-05, 15:01
Fifi,

I also found it a strange article, I noticed it mentioned CGH and then thought at the end, what had that to do with the CGH issue?

I suspect the Health Board released it, knowing full well that the press would publish anything from a seemingly credible source at this time of year to fill the pages!!

Wonder what their response would be to the accusation i've made, bet it isn't an admission and apology!!!

evelyn
06-Jan-05, 17:27
It was a very strange bulletin indeed. I've contacted BBC Scotland about it. Maybe anyone else who feels strongly about it should do the same. Will get back to you IF I get a reply.
Evelyn