PDA

View Full Version : a pleasant eavening

compo
10-Nov-06, 12:00
well it was a subday night last sunday to be correct. eldest dsughter got baptised and family decided that after the event we would go for a quiet drink to celibrate i was working at the time of the actual baptisim but dashed home washed up and out to meet up with the others. prior to going out it was undecideed as to where we where going iether the queens or the alexander bain turned out to be the queens no problem there i thought i arived and joined the party kids where playing pool and my other half and the inlaws where siting round having a drink and looking a bit glum i ordered my drink and sat down within about 30 seconds i found out why they where looking so glum there where a group of young men and a young lady at the next table and one of the young mens talk was absoloutly blue and thats being polite. having had the honour to serve with some of the hardest drinking fighting men in our armed forces i havent heard that much filth ever and if some one had they would have been told to go home. my 10 year oild daughter 19 year old daughter and 13 year old son where all present. the bar staff done nothing and i was ready for doing something myself but was persauded not to so after one pint we left and i for one wont be going back.

bigjjuk
10-Nov-06, 13:34
I think u just picked the wrong pub to go and have a quiet drink. Wetherspoons would have served u much better. The crown attracts a different clientel totally hence your disgust.

Cattach
10-Nov-06, 13:41
I think u just picked the wrong pub to go and have a quiet drink. Wetherspoons would have served u much better. The crown attracts a different clientel totally hence your disgust.

You are probably right about the clientel but why is it allowed and why should people be forced to go elswhere by this behaviour? People not knowing the town can easily walk in for a drink and a bite to eat and meet up with this filth. Hardly an example and not good for Wick.

compo
10-Nov-06, 17:57
was in the queens not the crown. normaly queens is quite good but hadnt been in there for ages not since the refurbishment

percy toboggan
10-Nov-06, 18:27
There was a time I'd take issue with four lettered outpourings in mixed company. I gave up twenty years ago in the face of an advancing tide. The best thing now is just to move on, or sit tight and steam. Any other course of action might be simply laughed at, or met with violence. Even my own standards have slipped slightly and I occasionaly let forth with expletives. Seldom but I admit it.No man is an island.

One day the tide might turn. Not in any of our lifetimes.We are all dimished by this linguistic slide in my opinion.

melted_wellie
11-Nov-06, 01:26
a pub is no place for young children, it is a known fact that drunk people frequent those establishments, and men being men will tend to swear.

lin
11-Nov-06, 01:32
Manners cost nothing!! When you see children no matter where you are, you curb your language.

melted_wellie
11-Nov-06, 01:51
i personally wouldnt take my kids into a pub. drunk people get involved in conversation amongst themselves and may not even be aware children are present, and pubs are pubs, not youth clubs, maybe the drunk people wanted a game of pool but couldnt because all the kids that were present.

compo
11-Nov-06, 08:34
well i would apear that to some peoples minds i was in the wrong here if there are no kids alowed then yes they shouldnt be in there but as most public houses are trying to attract familys then is that a problem respect for others costs nothing. one person was at fault and a quiet word from the staff could soon have sorted it. but from some of your comments i think i will just keep quiet or should i just put up with it. sorry cant do that also dont see why i or any one else should have to give way to that sort of thing ahh but of course thats the society we live in people would rather cross the raod than lend a hand sad realy. aye and before any one goes of on one yes we are all alowed our opinions i have staed mine and got a response whiich was a mixed bag and only to be exspected. but dont tell me where and where not to take my family as i wouldnt dream of telling any one else

bigjjuk
11-Nov-06, 16:58
you are certainly not in the wrong compo, i understand what you are saying totally, and with kids myself would be just as upset as you are, but im afraid everybody has a right to go into a pub, You cannot not enforce how people speak, just voice your opinion about it. I agree that a normal person would tone down there language if kids where about, but there are those out there which dont see this the way us guys do

jinglejangle
11-Nov-06, 17:34
I would have been more upset about missing the christening.

sassylass
11-Nov-06, 18:45
Don't you think that some people get in such a habit of swearing, they aren't aware of their language? Maybe a quiet word with them would help.

TisIivy
12-Nov-06, 08:02
The lounge bar in the queen's is the place for children not the public bar that is why when it was refurbished the two were seperated so you could have a quiet drink without having to listen to all the kind of offensive language that goes on in most public bars, you would also find it hard to get children into weatherspoons after eight o' clock, the lad's and lass in question if asked would have certainly toned it down but as you didn,t complain to anyone at the time how were the to know you were offended as most bar staff are used too and immune from the sort of language you refer too as they hear it all the time.

compo
12-Nov-06, 17:28
as for using the lounge bar yes i would have gone in their nut as i ahave said the decision was made by the others as i wasnt with them. as for complaining i was asked not to by my other half as there was a fear of confrontation and i wsnt at ther naptism because i had to work and wasnt given enough notice to change shifts. sounds like you where there tisivy ?. obviousely a lot of diffrent views on this matter as for taking the kids out to pubs that was the first time in anywhere other than the alexander bain andfi did rais concerns about them being there and was told they wanted to play pool. a shame realy as those lads and lasses where probably in their local and it wasnt all of them it was only the one but they all seemed to be encouraging him ny finding it all highly amusnig any way lesson learned