PDA

View Full Version : Means Testing of Benefits in Scotland

Rheghead
06-Mar-12, 13:39
This week in the Groat there was a case of a man who inherited £50,000 from his father, which isn't a really major life changing amount of money, it wouldn't buy an ex-council house. And yet his crime was not letting the DHSS know about it thus he was over paid benefits by £12,000 over a 3 year period. OK, I'm not quibbling about the rules as such but there was a case last month where a couple won £10 million on the lottery and was allowed to claim £500 disability benefit on a monthly basis since 2005 and seemingly they were legally entitled to do that.

What gets me is that when these two cases sit next to each other for comparison it doesn't seem fair on the bloke who now faces certain jail for something that anyone could be forgiven for being unaware of.

It raises a number of issues as far as I can see, the uniformity of various benefits being means tested whether that is in England or Scotland, whether the bloke had previous history of scrounging and whether it is right that inheritance should subsidise ones benefits etc.

mi16
06-Mar-12, 14:24
gambling proceeds and inheritance are two entirely different things.

charlie
06-Mar-12, 15:10

Nothing to do with the source of the income.
DLA - which the lottery winner was claiming is not a means tested benefit.

I can only assume the chap who had the inheritance was claiming a means tested benefit.

If so, he will have read, signed and agreed the conditions, to report such a change of circumstances when claiming the benefit.

Alrock
06-Mar-12, 15:12

Fair enough... But the question is... Should they be different? They are both windfalls of money.

mi16
06-Mar-12, 15:23
Fair enough... But the question is... Should they be different? They are both windfalls of money.

Yes they should be different.
I am sure the T&C's of his benifit claim stated that he must declare any changes to his personal circumstances. if he chose to ignore the clause then he deserves all he has coming.

changilass
06-Mar-12, 15:28
The guy who inherited is legally in the wrong, the ones with the lottery win are just morally wrong in continuing to claim.

Some folks are more interested in what they are entitled to rather than what they actually need. Benefits were supposed to be a safety net, not an entitlement.