PDA

View Full Version : Land on your Ass?

Kingetter
08-Nov-06, 10:44
Leaflet recall after mule mix-up.Scotland's fire services have scrapped hundreds of leaflets after a mistake urged members of the public to jump on a donkey when fleeing a house fire. The leaflet by the Scottish Executive for the eight fire and rescue services was aimed at Urdu readers. The advice was that anyone leaving a burning building from a window should lower themselves on to cushions. However, the authors got the Urdu word for cushion mixed up with another very similar Urdu word for donkey. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6125322.stm

northener
08-Nov-06, 12:19
Errol Flynn type escapes! Brilliant!

I can think of a house in Wick where you might have seen a horse jumping from an upstairs window.......

johno
29-Nov-06, 18:57
Errol Flynn type escapes! Brilliant!

I can think of a house in Wick where you might have seen a horse jumping from an upstairs window....... aye that was a long time ago.

Rheghead
29-Nov-06, 19:07
Surely a Government-led leaflet should be printed in English? I would have thought Urdu speakers should be able to understand enough English to read a safety leaflet?

Ach weel, so much for integration...

Kingetter
29-Nov-06, 19:53
Surely a Government-led leaflet should be printed in English? I would have thought Urdu speakers should be able to understand enough English to read a safety leaflet?

Ach weel, so much for integration...

I understand that American Citizenship is only granted to those who have a certain standard knowledge of the language. Not so in Britain. As has been commented on elsewhere, Call Centre Help Lines can be staffed by those who do not have an appropriate level of English.
Is it surprising therefore to have 'non-English' leaflets? I hardly think so.

melted_wellie
30-Nov-06, 02:41
I understand that American Citizenship is only granted to those who have a certain standard knowledge of the language. Not so in Britain. As has been commented on elsewhere, Call Centre Help Lines can be staffed by those who do not have an appropriate level of English.
Is it surprising therefore to have 'non-English' leaflets? I hardly think so.Not just America, but European countries also. Except Britain ofcoarse, who opens the floodgates for all comers.

Colin Manson
30-Nov-06, 02:49
You're a bit behind the times, see below.

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/background_10.html

Why has the test been introduced?
Becoming a British citizen is an important event in your life. If you are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, you will need to show that you know about life in the UK. If you live in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can do this in two ways: by taking the Life in the UK Test or by taking combined English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and citizenship classes.

Who has to take the test?
You should take the test if you are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen and your level of English is ESOL Entry 3 or above. If your level of English is lower than ESOL Entry 3 and you wish to apply for naturalisation, you will need to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes instead. Classes will be run at your local further education or community college.

That is of course for Citizenship, you can get Indefinite Leave to remain without speaking English at all.

melted_wellie
30-Nov-06, 02:54
Thats strange that is Colin. I work with an Asian guy, a sound bloke i might add, but during a recent lunchbreak conversation, it transpired that he didnt know what the Saltire was.

Colin Manson
30-Nov-06, 03:02
There is nothing to compel a person to go for Citizenship, unless you want a British passport.

If that doesn't interest you then you don't need to take the test.

On a slightly different point it's not that cheap the whole process adds up to ~£1000

You can do the settlement visa and then indefinite leave to remain for ~ £770, it's lots of hassle and major amounts of paperwork.