PDA

View Full Version : Apple Itunes and Ibook G4

Anfield
29-Feb-12, 15:58
I am trying to install itunes on an Apple iBook g4 which is running OS X version 10.4.2
When I download iTunes it is version 10.5 and when I try to install it it aborts and I get message;
Needs OS X.5

How do I download an earlier version, which will run on OS X 10.4.2

phil_moonbeam
29-Feb-12, 20:12
Go to the apple homepage on the internet look for downloads install from there but you will need to remove the version you have first hope this helps you

TAFKAL
29-Feb-12, 20:47
This version should be latest on that is compatible :)http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php?old_itunes=29

Anfield
02-Mar-12, 17:26
Cheers Phil Moonbeam & Tafkal.
Found this Apple site (http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes) and found a version which runs (9.1.1) on older versions of Aplle OS
Strange that Apple will offer the latest version of Itunes to people running Windows XP (now over 10 years old) but will not offer same version to people running older versions of its own OS.. Apple forums are full of people who are unhappy at this glaring omission

TAFKAL
02-Mar-12, 19:04
I'm a bit peed off with them as iPhoto used to be a freebie that came with the OS. Now you pay for it. But what's more, when you upgrade they don't tell you this, it just deletes your current version off!!! I can't access any of my photos any more until I buy something :( I love mac but they are turning the proper computers into giant app machines! Pay as you play type thing :(

secrets in symmetry
03-Mar-12, 16:49
Cheers Phil Moonbeam & Tafkal.
Found this Apple site (http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes) and found a version which runs (9.1.1) on older versions of Aplle OS
Strange that Apple will offer the latest version of Itunes to people running Windows XP (now over 10 years old) but will not offer same version to people running older versions of its own OS.. Apple forums are full of people who are unhappy at this glaring omissionYes, it's annoying that Apple provide the newest version of iTunes for Windows XP, but not for old versions of OS X. I suppose it's because there are still a lot of XP users out there, but far fewer OS X 10.4 users.

There's another difference.... In my experience, Apple users are much more likely to be running the latest versions of their OS than Windows users. On one of my websites, 36% of Windows users are still running XP, whereas only 16% of Mac users are running OS X 10.5, and only 1.4% are using OS X 10.4. You are in a tiny minority Anfield, so perhaps it's not surprising that Apple don't give you much support.

I'm a bit peed off with them as iPhoto used to be a freebie that came with the OS. Now you pay for it. But what's more, when you upgrade they don't tell you this, it just deletes your current version off!!! I can't access any of my photos any more until I buy something :( I love mac but they are turning the proper computers into giant app machines! Pay as you play type thing :( iPhoto came for free on my Mac - which came loaded with 10.6 - and iPhoto was still there when I upgraded to 10.7.