PDA

View Full Version : Dvla

squidge
23-Feb-12, 00:51
Has anyone had any problems getting their licenses bac from DVLA? A guy i was hearing about today got his licence back after changing his address without his car and motorbike entitlement on. Despite having passed his test over 17 years ago for both car and motorbike he was not able to get DVLA to add them back on his licence and after a long carry on he has had to sit both tests again! I think this is awful and wondered if anyone wlse has had similar problems.

Bobinovich
23-Feb-12, 01:18
It's definitely worth photocopying ALL original documents before sending them away. My birth certificate was lost by an insurance firm during the process of a claim on a relative's life insurance, however thankfully the solicitor who sent them, and who was dealing with the estate, had photocopied them prior to posting, and was thus able to notarise the copy until the replacement was received.

cramock
23-Feb-12, 01:22
that sounds wrong surely there is something he could do other than resit the tests

i think people should have to resit their tests regular every 3-5 years anyway some of the people driving these days i wonder how they ever passed in the first place, and especially really old people they should have to resit again. If you can drive good you have nothing to worry about anyway if you have to resit but at least some idiots might get their license taken back if they somehow managed to fluke the tests the first time round, or at least they will be encouraged to study harder and drive better before they have to resit again

sids
23-Feb-12, 12:20
Has anyone had any problems getting their licenses bac from DVLA? A guy i was hearing about today got his licence back after changing his address without his car and motorbike entitlement on. Despite having passed his test over 17 years ago for both car and motorbike he was not able to get DVLA to add them back on his licence and after a long carry on he has had to sit both tests again! I think this is awful and wondered if anyone wlse has had similar problems.

I think that happens when you get mistakes on a new licence don't query it promptly. DVLA keep the old licence for only a short time.

mi16
23-Feb-12, 12:33

If they removed the car and motorbike entitlements from his ticket then what exactly was he entitled to drive?
Did they send back a provisional or something?

mi16
23-Feb-12, 12:34
that sounds wrong surely there is something he could do other than resit the tests

i think people should have to resit their tests regular every 3-5 years anyway some of the people driving these days i wonder how they ever passed in the first place, and especially really old people they should have to resit again. If you can drive good you have nothing to worry about anyway if you have to resit but at least some idiots might get their license taken back if they somehow managed to fluke the tests the first time round, or at least they will be encouraged to study harder and drive better before they have to resit again

What if you fail your retest then?
Is your ticket then suspended or what?

squidge
23-Feb-12, 13:29
He was stopped by the police and they siad the photocopy of his old licence was not good enough - they let him off the once but told him it had to be sorted. He has had no luck with DVLA and finally decided that he couldnt wait any longer and booked tests. I have no idea what he will do if he fails but he went to a solicitor and everything and still ahd no luck Interestingly the DVLA told him that they dont keep copies of pass certificates but another guy I now who worked in IT for them said they are all on microfiche going back to 1947!!!! its a bit mad really He is still pursuing it as its cost him money so his solicitor is on the case but what a mess!

mi16
23-Feb-12, 13:35
He was stopped by the police and they siad the photocopy of his old licence was not good enough - they let him off the once but told him it had to be sorted. He has had no luck with DVLA and finally decided that he couldnt wait any longer and booked tests. I have no idea what he will do if he fails but he went to a solicitor and everything and still ahd no luck Interestingly the DVLA told him that they dont keep copies of pass certificates but another guy I now who worked in IT for them said they are all on microfiche going back to 1947!!!! its a bit mad really

Right so he sent the licence away for altering and never got it back at all.
So now when he insures his car he will have to say he has just passed his test then?
Seems very strange if they dont know who has a licence or not.

I have heard of guys in the past who were done for drink driving to say they lost their licence and get a replacement sent out, then and in the original to the court and kept the replacement and continued to drive.

I thought all these new electronic systems would be a bit smarter than that though.

squidge
23-Feb-12, 16:12
Oh dear I havent made much sense here have I. Dinner for 10 tonight! Running around like a fool and nipping in and out so let me try again. Bloke sent his licence off for change of address. Came back with no entitlement as a provisional, despite having passed his test years ago. Challenged this with DVLA who say they cant do anything they dont keep pass certificates and they have no record of him passing his tests. He had kept a photocopy of the licence he sent away but this is not enough to satisfy the legal requirements if asked to produce your licence.The whole thing is dragging on and so he has had to redo his tests as he has no idea when it will be finished. Solicitor is involved so we shall see. I wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue as i have to change mine and im wondering if its an ongoing problem. Right, back to the cooking sherry i think lol.

cramock
23-Feb-12, 17:43
What if you fail your retest then?
Is your ticket then suspended or what?

isn't it obvious lol, if you fail your retest you aint fit to drive!

i have seen way too many people who "passed" their test being bloody awful drivers and crashing cars left right and center.

if you are a good driver then you will have no worries about resitting a test and it will weed out the ones who got passed their test by fluke and make them have more lessons and improve their driving before being allowed to try again, it will also make people drive better all the time as they wont want to forget anything for their next retest so will keep all the stuff firmly in their head. It will reduce the amount of poor drivers on the road which cant be a bad thing

mi16
23-Feb-12, 17:48
isn't it obvious lol, if you fail your retest you aint fit to drive!

i have seen way too many people who "passed" their test being bloody awful drivers and crashing cars left right and center.

if you are a good driver then you will have no worries about resitting a test and it will weed out the ones who got passed their test by fluke and make them have more lessons and improve their driving before being allowed to try again, it will also make people drive better all the time as they wont want to forget anything for their next retest so will keep all the stuff firmly in their head. It will reduce the amount of poor drivers on the road which cant be a bad thing

Would the retest be a stringent as the initial driving test?

poppett
23-Feb-12, 18:20
When we moved house I sent away both our licences to DVLA.........and as Bobinovich suggested had kept photocopies of everything.

Mine came back no problem, but hubby`s still hadn`t appeared a week later, so got in touch to chase it up. He had passed his test in 1957, still had the original red licence, had used his full licence at the local post office to cash giro cheques and the lady there made a sworn legal statement to that effect, plus the photocopies of the originals and still the DVLA insisted my hubby had never, ever had a licence. If he wanted to drive he had to re-sit his test. He did this and passed with no points against him but had just basic car entitlement, no bike, HGV or PSV and could not even tow a caravan or trailer for three years.

SAGA magazine ran an article some years ago suggesting this loss was common practice.

The re-test is now the new test complete with computer theory test.

Phill
23-Feb-12, 19:31
I'd never heard anything like this before, did some googly and it turns out it happens far too often.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/04/dvla_removing_license_entitlem.html

As already said, keep a copy of everything. DVLA do not believe they make mistakes.

Blackbird
24-Feb-12, 08:18
Most of the problems occurred at DVLA in the late 80's, early 90's when data was transferred from 1 computer system to another, that's when information was lost. The data was transferred by a person literally copying it onto another system, 1 at a time. The only way to have 100% proof is to keep hold of your license. I had to renew my HGV for work and have been aware of these problems for years. I applied for a replacement license, said I had accidently shredded my old one with some other stuff. I wrote a letter to DVLA stating which vehicles I could drive and also a copy of the license I 'shredded' by mistake. Got a new one back no problems, albeit a photocard one.

I might be paranoid but if it all went wrong I could then have 'found' my shredded license, with all the classes I could drive. Sure it cost more but for peace of mind it was worth it. I think you can request a copy of your entitlements from DVLA for about a fiver without sending in your old license if you are really concerned.

I remember the watchdog programmes and it seemed the only way to sort it is to go to DVLA in person, pretty impractical from up here I know.

Mik.M.
24-Feb-12, 09:20
DVLA are a law unto themselves.

dozy
24-Feb-12, 10:32
It's definitely worth photocopying ALL original documents before sending them away. My birth certificate was lost by an insurance firm during the process of a claim on a relative's life insurance, however thankfully the solicitor who sent them, and who was dealing with the estate, had photocopied them prior to posting, and was thus able to notarise the copy until the replacement was received.

The DVLA state that photocopies are of no value to you or them ,they dont take solicitors photocopies or attacted letters as evidence of you entitlement .

I took mine to the local sheriff court building and had my licence noted (before sending it in,as i have heard the same stories)and they still refused to reinstated the ones they chalked off and i've had my licence 38 years

sids
24-Feb-12, 11:08
DVLA are a law unto themselves.

Not when they are taken to court and lose.

starfish
24-Feb-12, 11:12
this also happens the other way around someone i know sent their licence off to change address and it come back with all the hgv entitlements on it .when phone them got told we do not make mistakes, The worrying bit is how many lorry drivers had passed a test or are some driving just dvla mistakes

Beat Bug
24-Feb-12, 11:22
A work colleague of mine many years ago needed her licence for something or other, but couldn't find it. So after hunting high and low with no luck, decided to ask for a replacement. As she hadn't made a note of her driver number, they asked for her date of birth. DVLA said they had no record of a licence for her, and that she'd have to take the test again. Thankfully she passed. Later on she found the original lecence, and noted that her D.O.B. was incorrect on it, hence their assumption she had no licence. I now have a copy of mine, plus a note of my driver number.

back of beyond
24-Feb-12, 17:24
not only do that lose peoples info but also when i comes to log books , sorn ,ect,ect my advice is if sending by post send recorded delivery and if no contact after 10 working days either phone or e.mail them to find out whats going on.ive been a victim of their inability to do their job !!!!