PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Fatts, newmarket bar......

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Nov-06, 13:21
Did anyone go? I did and was surprised just how accomplished this guy is on the guitar, mind blowing in places.... and the drummer, just incredible. He played a great selection of music from Jimi Hendrix covers, grateful dead, Johhny cash...... the list is endless he was laying out the vibes from 3pm all the way through to 9pm and it was quite the atmosphere with people dancing and a hollering, all in all a real raw, in yer face get down and boogie session.... just the way it "should" be. I'll certainly go and see him again, first class musician. By the way, there was talk that he's playing at the dunnet lighthouse this Saturday does anyone know any more on this? £10 entry apparantly and a few good musicians will be there.

By the way, one of the songs that got everyone going was "smoke up de ganja" I'd like to find the lyrics for this song they sounded interesting but I'm not getting anything when I Google "smoke up de ganja" :eek:

Cattach
06-Nov-06, 13:37
Did anyone go? I did and was surprised just how accomplished this guy is on the guitar, mind blowing in places.... and the drummer, just incredible. He played a great selection of music from Jimi Hendrix covers, grateful dead, Johhny cash...... the list is endless he was laying out the vibes from 3pm all the way through to 9pm and it was quite the atmosphere with people dancing and a hollering, all in all a real raw, in yer face get down and boogie session.... just the way it "should" be. I'll certainly go and see him again, first class musician. By the way, there was talk that he's playing at the dunnet lighthouse this Saturday does anyone know any more on this? £10 entry apparantly and a few good musicians will be there.

By the way, one of the songs that got everyone going was "smoke up de ganja" I'd like to find the lyrics for this song they sounded interesting but I'm not getting anything when I Google "smoke up de ganja" :eek:

Great artist for the last 40 years so where have you been. Smoking up the ganja too for most of that time!! Son is an even better musician and great with sound and recording up Dunnet Head. Well worth a visit.

willowbankbear
06-Nov-06, 13:45
The mans a legend, wish Id been there

We are not worthy

Gleber2
06-Nov-06, 14:18

We have Graham Walker who recorded Still Got the Blues with Garry Moore coming on Saturday and we hope to have Dick Levens over from Orkney and Neil 'Macbeat' Campbell from Skye. Donnie 'Howlin Gael' Williamson is also playing with myself and Isaac. Dick and Macbeat are not yet confirmed but Graham and Donnie are certain. If you are interested in coming PM me.
Smoke Up de Ganje was written by me in 1978 and you won't find the lyrics on Google.

Great artist for the last 40 years so where have you been. Smoking up the ganja too for most of that time!! Son is an even better musician and great with sound and recording up Dunnet Head. Well worth a visit.

So Isaac is better than his Dad. I might be inclined to agree but he, who knows the reality of the situation, would disagree. He has his bit and I have mine.
The sign of a good teacher is when his pupil exceeds him. Almost there!!!!:D

Cattach
06-Nov-06, 14:48
We have Graham Walker who recorded Still Got the Blues with Garry Moore coming on Saturday and we hope to have Dick Levens over from Orkney and Neil 'Macbeat' Campbell from Skye. Donnie 'Howlin Gael' Williamson is also playing with myself and Isaac. Dick and Macbeat are not yet confirmed but Graham and Donnie are certain. If you are interested in coming PM me.
Smoke Up de Ganje was written by me in 1978 and you won't find the lyrics on Google.

So Isaac is better than his Dad. I might be inclined to agree but he, who knows the reality of the situation, would disagree. He has his bit and I have mine.
The sign of a good teacher is when his pupil exceeds him. Almost there!!!!:D

Glad to see you are still on the Ball Johnny

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Nov-06, 15:27
Great artist for the last 40 years so where have you been.

London mostly.

Cattach
06-Nov-06, 15:38
London mostly.

He's propably been to London too! Such a peach of a player I am surprised the man from del monte has not come across him!

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Nov-06, 17:16
I am surprised the man from del monte has not come across him!

I did, last night ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Nov-06, 17:19
Again, a great gig from a great musician(s) is wasted on the denizens of the newmarket. Shame I didn't catch the show; God willing, Julie (from Philidelphia) and I will be up this weekend to catch another fine performance.

Chobbersjnr
06-Nov-06, 17:24
Again, a great gig from a great musician(s) is wasted on the denizens of the newmarket. Shame I didn't catch the show; God willing, Julie (from Philidelphia) and I will be up this weekend to catch another fine performance.

oh really.......................?????, is the mo coming??

Gleber2
06-Nov-06, 17:41
Again, a great gig from a great musician(s) is wasted on the denizens of the newmarket. .

You patronising sod, Pepsi. I do not consider my music to be wasted when I have a full room having a great time and showing it, be it the Newmarket or the Albert Hall.

moncur
06-Nov-06, 17:46

Have to agree with Gleber2 aswell. My attitude is that it doesn't matter who you're playing to or where you're playing, as long as they, and most importantly the musicians are having a good time.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Nov-06, 17:51
Were you getting paid by the hour? I think Fats Ltd. deserve more than the standard £150 they pay bands at the newmarket.

Chobbers - the Mo' can't make it this time, but we'll be up around January/February for definite. He always asks for you. He's now on myspace, too: www.myspace.com/marcmow

The_man_from_del_monte
06-Nov-06, 18:09
Again, a great gig from a great musician(s) is wasted on the denizens of the newmarket.

Haven't been out a lot here yet (ie: haven't sampled the other venues) but the crowd at the newmarket seemed a great bunch to me, thoroughly enjoyed the show and appreciated the superb music.... the music certainly wasn't "wasted" on the audience, they were feeding off it and having a good time and the band were feeding off the vibes and having a good time into the bargain.... if that's what you consider a waste, then your loss.

lagertops
06-Nov-06, 21:38
Was there yesterday and thought it was superb!Brought me back to my teens when Sunday afternoon's was like that every weekend.

Let's make Scotland fighting, men our new national anthem, with Struie hill on the B side..

First class boys

Moira
06-Nov-06, 22:12
You patronising sod, Pepsi. I do not consider my music to be wasted when I have a full room having a great time and showing it, be it the Newmarket or the Albert Hall.

Well said Gleber2, which is just as well for us Caithnessians - the Albert Hall is a long way away. Maybe we could put in a bid for the "Dounreay Dome" and have it converted - mmm... dunno about the acoustics though ...

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 01:08
the Albert Hall is a long way away.

And mostly pastuerised crud on offer there too... I much preferred the roundhouse, the Music machine, the 100 club, windsor castle (Harrow Road).... and way too many more to mention here.... the most memorable and jumping gigs are always to be had at the more intimate venue, stadium rock is just awful and middle classed venues like the RAH are best avoided unless you're an accountant who considers a good night out clapping along with the band a beat out of time ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 01:20
Must say, tho, the only thing missing last night was the smoke... terrible having to actually "walk" outdoors to spark up... but, that's your Scottish parliament for you..... PC in action. Thankfully we didn't get an on the spot fine for "butt" litter or penalised for congregating on a "freezing cold, desolate, windy pavement"

I'm pretty old school in that respect and my fondest memories of gigs have been those packed full of deviants smoking everything, and anything, and congregating holus bolus at all angles... I'm not one for pastuersised, policed events.... kinda sucks the life out of the party.

Chobbersjnr
07-Nov-06, 01:22
& a sticky carpet along with dingy lighting

heck yeah played a few of those

canuck
07-Nov-06, 01:59
.... with Struie hill on the B side..

First class boys

lagertops, isn't Struie Hill just the best?

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 01:59
My camera was out of action but here's a couple it managed....

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/fats1.jpg

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 02:02

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 02:17
That's what music is all about, expression and understanding of the vibe.... , if it sounds good.. it is good. Once again JF, awesome gig, hope that lighthose will be rammed to the seams on Saturday...

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 02:26
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/fats2.jpg

canuck
07-Nov-06, 02:43
Oh, chobbersjnr, was it that bad that it gave you a headache?

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Nov-06, 02:45
The more things change... :)

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Nov-06, 02:47
Haven't been out a lot here yet (ie: haven't sampled the other venues) but the crowd at the newmarket seemed a great bunch to me, thoroughly enjoyed the show and appreciated the superb music.... the music certainly wasn't "wasted" on the audience, they were feeding off it and having a good time and the band were feeding off the vibes and having a good time into the bargain.... if that's what you consider a waste, then your loss.

You mean the newmarket's clientele has changed? Good grief! Is it a wine bar now?

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 02:57
You mean the newmarket's clientele has changed? Good grief! Is it a wine bar now?

Far from "wine bar" dude.... just full of happening / jumping cats... you need to get your redundant butt out in the fresh air and take a break from sniffing your own ass.

codex
07-Nov-06, 04:24
i was there it was ok for 6 stringed crap, not my style ...but id rather see sum dj spin some choons of hard dance related gibber, instead of watching an old greenie an his wanna be son pipe up the atmosphere with guitar gibber, nothing changes in this caithness, same old crap bands bands an more bloody bands, dont get me wrong the bloke an his son are ace on the guitars but im sick of straying into a bar especially the newmarket and coming across the same old cowslop....where are the djs at...i wanna hear some NRG some euphoria not twing twank twong vocal vocal vocal etc etc...how boring :( i want to dance, not dance like a fool, how do i dance to a band, do i rapidly thrash my head back n forth or do i just sit there like a noob waiting for something exciting to happen...omg please god please help me show me where the hard dance is located, i dont want to travel to inverness every weekend to find a source of enjoyment that spins shivers down my spine, why cant there be a source of electronic dance in this small county of caithness. [evil]

Naefearjustbeer
07-Nov-06, 11:10
I think you will find that your musical taste is in a minority in Caithness If any pub were to play exactly what you are asking for then they wouldnt be so busy and then not make as much money. The pubs will put on what they think will draw a bigger crowd and make them more profits. If that makes Caithness backwards then that is exactly how I like it to be.

Gleber2
07-Nov-06, 12:08
i was there it was ok for 6 stringed crap, not my style ...but id rather see sum dj spin some choons of hard dance related gibber, instead of watching an old greenie an his wanna be son pipe up the atmosphere with guitar gibber, nothing changes in this caithness, same old crap bands bands an more bloody bands, dont get me wrong the bloke an his son are ace on the guitars but im sick of straying into a bar especially the newmarket and coming across the same old cowslop....where are the djs at...i wanna hear some NRG some euphoria not twing twank twong vocal vocal vocal etc etc...how boring :( i want to dance, not dance like a fool, how do i dance to a band, do i rapidly thrash my head back n forth or do i just sit there like a noob waiting for something exciting to happen...omg please god please help me show me where the hard dance is located, i dont want to travel to inverness every weekend to find a source of enjoyment that spins shivers down my spine, why cant there be a source of electronic dance in this small county of caithness. [evil]

I am truly glad that I am an old Greenie Has Been. I an truly glad I'm not you.
To be addicted to the boring, repetitive excretia generated by computer manipulating geeks, to me, would be a fate worse than life. All i can say to your tirade, sir, is to stay away from our gigs as such negativity and prejudice brings down the vibe.

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 14:29
repetitive excretia generated by computer manipulating geeks

Oh, is that how they do it? I was under the impression it was a drummer, a bassist and a few dentists revving their drills up..... silly me :eyes

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Nov-06, 14:32
please help me show me where the hard dance is located

You could try dancing on the pavement or maybe on a concrete slab... very hard surfaces to dance on.

Chobbersjnr
07-Nov-06, 15:45
BTW it's "wannabe" not "wanna be" come on get it right for cripes sake, I do not bad for a wannaabbeeeee

rather a wannnnnnaaabbbe than a raver anyday & I still cant' quite get away from a self contradicting term such as "dance music"

Take the A Train, Tequila, The Muckin' O' George's Cooshed now that's proper dance, non of this wannabe dentist drill stuff

yours truly
Sir Waaaaaannnnnnaaaabbbbbeeeee:Razz

codex
07-Nov-06, 16:06
The muddle

I wont be a quote....i love the feedback, especially with the word "excretia" like i said, dont get me wrong/correct "the bloke an his son are ace on the guitars" but not my style no disrespect just some humour. spiced up with a pleasure and an honour to thee..An the repetitive excretia generated by those geeks. well theres more to the computer manipulating than sitting down programming beats using the likes of Reason or logic, id rather a roland TB303 and a few keyboards some synths etc, hardware versus software, hardware

The Band

Bands play other bands material just like the dj spins the tracks of the producer...repetitive most genres of the hard dance scene are, i agree they are repetitive, in fact i cant stand the sub genres that continue to make the genres of the electronic scene fall into the same category.

The guitarist vs The Disc jockey

Most people that frequent the pubs throughout caithness especially during the weekend in a majority would be the under 25's..The minority of those would cater for the electro scene with its repetitive blantant beats, while the majority would be the headbangers on their ball,

Ive known of an intake during a recent caithness Rave/Dance whatever one may call it to be to be a huge success especially for the proprietors...The booze sold on that night was the best ever turnover made in the year.

I known a local illegal rave that took place recently to be bigger than expected with around 150+ people attending, how many more if it was advertised.

The concrete dancer

Next time im caked to the eyeballs, i will perform a boogie outside skin's on a saturday night. or i will go to the lighthouse carpark belt out the lockets and dance to be heard.

The wannabeeeee

He is a great musician better than his old boy, but his old man was his tutor the pupil versus his tutor or his teacher :Razz

scotsboy
07-Nov-06, 18:53
Raves? Raves?? You are seriously out of touch mate, Raves went out in the 80s!!!

codex
07-Nov-06, 19:21
Of course they went out in the late 80s According to the critics, but the numerous organisations around the world have brought back the return of the rave, no longer a rave are they called, but a Dance event, or what ever one may suggest to name thee. ;)

obiron
07-Nov-06, 19:39
I would love to see gleber 2 and chobbers jnr play. some day when i get a sitter organised.
I like dance music but havent come across an excellent tune for a while. thou if im in sinclairs/waterfront/skinandis i do like a decent tune to dance too. which up here is dance versions of dolly partons 9 - 5. not the best music in the world.

Gleber2
07-Nov-06, 19:50
The muddle

I wont be a quote....i love the feedback, especially with the word "excretia" like i said, dont get me wrong/correct "the bloke an his son are ace on the guitars" but not my style no disrespect just some humour. spiced up with a pleasure and an honour to thee..An the repetitive excretia generated by those geeks. well theres more to the computer manipulating than sitting down programming beats using the likes of Reason or logic, id rather a roland TB303 and a few keyboards some synths etc, hardware versus software, hardware

Roland303?????? Man you are so twentieth century!!!!!!!!:lol:

Bobbyian
07-Nov-06, 20:33
I am truly glad that I am an old Greenie Has Been. I an truly glad I'm not you.
To be addicted to the boring, repetitive excretia generated by computer manipulating geeks, to me, would be a fate worse than life. All i can say to your tirade, sir, is to stay away from our gigs as such negativity and prejudice brings down the vibe.

Glad to see your in form Keep it and do what you do best. Pity I couldn“t be there... But thanks guys for the Pics will catch up in May....

weedom
07-Nov-06, 20:49
6 string crap? Oh no! Where does that leave me?

Don't answer that, chobber.