PDA

View Full Version : Campbell

Campbell1791
14-Feb-12, 10:58
Hello i have recently obtained my Campbell family tree at the top is ALEXANDER CAMPBELL married 18/02/1791 Halkirk, Caithness to Catherine CAMPBELL b. 15.09.1773 -{Catherine's parents John CAMPBELL and Margaret McKAY}
Does this mean my ancestor's were related?
I cannot find any graves or anything on these 4 people i would also love to find Alexander's parents if possible though is difficult not knowing his D.O.B; i am also guessing he was born before registered births were compulsory.

lindadorren
14-Feb-12, 20:41
Do you have any info on later generations which might help? What family did Alexander and Catherine have? Naming patterns might help identify his parents - first son named for paternal grandfather, first daughter for maternal grandmother; second son for maternal grandfather and second daughter for paternal grandmother. This doesn't always apply but is frequently useful. My Campbell tree goes back to Donald Campbell abt 1748, then his son Alexander Campbell born 1773, don't think they link but you never know.

Linda

Campbell1791
15-Feb-12, 12:35
Alexander and Catherine's children are Murray born 1791
John Born 1793
James b 1795 married Christina McKEAN b 1803
Catherine b 1824
Margaret b 1826
Donald Alexander b 1829 (my line) married Magdalena Stuart Munro and migrated to Australia in 1861
Alexander born 1799
Frances b 1802
Christina b 1804
Elizabeth b 1808
William b 1810 married Christina Budge

lindadorren
15-Feb-12, 21:22
Sorry but can't find a link in my tree. Have you looked at My Heritage? You might find a link there to someone who has already researched this branch. I'll keep looking.
Linda

Oddquine
16-Feb-12, 01:05
Hello i have recently obtained my Campbell family tree at the top is ALEXANDER CAMPBELL married 18/02/1791 Halkirk, Caithness to Catherine CAMPBELL b. 15.09.1773 -{Catherine's parents John CAMPBELL and Margaret McKAY}
Does this mean my ancestor's were related?
I cannot find any graves or anything on these 4 people i would also love to find Alexander's parents if possible though is difficult not knowing his D.O.B; i am also guessing he was born before registered births were compulsory.

There's a gravestone in Halkirk MIs. May be yours...but may not.

Flat Stone.....Alexander Campbell, tenant North Calder died 25.11.1830 aged 65, wife Catherine Campbell, died 14.11.1831 aged 64. Helen (?)ier, wife of Alexander [Sutherland?]

mistyridge181
16-Feb-12, 08:28
Linda, I am new to this forum. Note your Campbell names match mine. Did Alexander 1773 marry Janet McDonald in Latheron 21-03-1809. Llew

lindadorren
16-Feb-12, 11:05
Hi Llew,
My Alexander Campbell, born Latheron 17 Mar 1773 (or christened that date) married Elizabeth Grant according to his son David's death certificate. David was born 1813 and died in 1887. He married twice to Charlotte Baillie and Isabella Innes. He had to sons that I know of but there may have been more children. My family descends from one of these sons - David, born about 1844 and died about 1873. There is an earlier post in this forum from me about this bit of the family as legend says David was lost at sea after a major row with his wife! They would have been my great great grandparents.
Don't know if this will fit in with anything you're looking for.

Linda

Tricia
16-Feb-12, 20:22
Have I got correct family. ? Alex Campbell and Eliz Grant?? - I have that he died 1869 and Eliz died 1876...... in 1871 census she is with her daughter Eliz with her husband Angus More in Sarclet. The MOREs being mine.

lindadorren
16-Feb-12, 22:15
Correct family but I haven't researched anyone other than son David from whom my family descends. I do have Mores in my tree but haven't followed them up for a variety of reasons. I did know one of them when I lived in Wick in the 1960s and he was my late mother's cousin.

Linda

Tricia
16-Feb-12, 23:56
Linda.
I am sure you have detail on Alex and Eliz....... Born Golspie
David's sister Elizabeth died 23 Jul 1899.
I wonder which MORE you knew in 1960s - all MORE in Wick are likely to be related to me.

Hello Campbell1791....
I must also see what I can find on tghe orig query here for ALEXANDER CAMPBELL married 18/02/1791 Halkirk, Caithness to Catherine CAMPBELL b. 15.09.1773........ Remember naming pattern for children was often a good clue for g'parents names...... eg 1st son 2nd daughter after father's parents and 2nd son and 1st daug for mother's parents........ but remember you may not have found all births???

Tricia
17-Feb-12, 00:02
Linda - Have just found a posting we had a while back and you mentioned: Quote:" I knew Etta married Rabbie More and had sons. The one I remember best is George who sailed on the trawler (The Bluebell I think). George was my mum's cousin and visited us in Edinburgh in about 1976"

mistyridge181
18-Feb-12, 05:44
Hi Linda, Thanks for the info. I have obviously been looking at the wrong Alexander Campbell for a marriage to Janet McDonald. Oh well, back to the drawing board !! There is another Alexander of a suitable age in Thurso that so far looks like a possibility. Though I can't imagine why he would have been in Clyth and married in Latheron when his family was based in Thurso. Llew

Mamie_2
07-Mar-12, 15:45
Might or might not be related - loads of Campbells in Halkirk.
The only clue about Alexander is that he was from North Calder when he and Katherine(Catherine) married (it doesn't mean he was born there) and Murray, Alexander, Christian(ina), Elizabeth and William were definately born in North Calder. Only these children are currently listed on FreeREG transcriptions.
There may be connections to Budge and Bain families prior to William's marriage as these are the surnames of most of the witnesses on these childrens births. Often witnesses were relatives.

If Frances is really their child Alexander may have been born to Francis Campbell and Margaret Swanson in 1767 in Thurso,

Campbell1791
21-Jun-12, 13:19
My Campbell tree goes back to Donald Campbell abt 1748, then his son Alexander Campbell born 1773, don't think they link but you never know.

I thought these details were of Katherine however i am beginning think it is Alexander please get back to me lindadorren (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?4990-lindadorren)

camsmith
13-Jul-12, 22:44
Alexander and Catherine's children are Murray born 1791
John Born 1793
James b 1795 married Christina McKEAN b 1803
Catherine b 1824
Margaret b 1826
Donald Alexander b 1829 (my line) married Magdalena Stuart Munro and migrated to Australia in 1861
Alexander born 1799
Frances b 1802
Christina b 1804
Elizabeth b 1808
William b 1810 married Christina Budge

Hi, we have a connection with Magdalena Stuart Munro. My Gr Gr Gr Grandmother was Magdalena Stewart who married Donald Munro and was the uncle of your Magdalena. I would be very interested to know any info you have on the Munro's of Caithness.

Thanks

Campbell

Campbell1791
30-Jul-12, 04:09
Hello camsmith
My Magdalena's parents are James Munro and Elizabeth Stuart does that sound like the same people?

camsmith
30-Jul-12, 21:33
Hi,

I believe we are talking about the same persons. I have your Magdalina parents as James Munro and Elizabeth Henderson.

My Magdalina Stewart's mother was Elizabeth Stewart (nee Horne).

All the other information is the same.

I will send you a personal message.

kind regards,

Campbell