PDA

View Full Version : Surveyors

tillygirl
03-Nov-06, 17:59
We're in the process of selling out house and got a good offer on it. However, the couple who are buying it got a survey done and it came back at £10k less than what our surveyor said it was worth before we put it on the market. Apparently house prices in Caithness are hoped to be capped which is why this man does this. I'm only posting this to warn other house sellers. Be careful who you chose cos you might lose a sale because of him.

ice box
04-Nov-06, 13:50
We're in the process of selling out house and got a good offer on it. However, the couple who are buying it got a survey done and it came back at £10k less than what our surveyor said it was worth before we put it on the market. Apparently house prices in Caithness are hoped to be capped which is why this man does this. I'm only posting this to warn other house sellers. Be careful who you chose cos you might lose a sale because of him.And who is he ?

tillygirl
04-Nov-06, 14:07
Sorry ice box, can't remember the man's name. Works out of Wick though.

Tristan
04-Nov-06, 14:13
We're in the process of selling out house and got a good offer on it. However, the couple who are buying it got a survey done and it came back at £10k less than what our surveyor said it was worth before we put it on the market. Apparently house prices in Caithness are hoped to be capped which is why this man does this. I'm only posting this to warn other house sellers. Be careful who you chose cos you might lose a sale because of him.

hoped to be capped? Not sure what you mean by that.

willowbankbear
04-Nov-06, 15:03
Cant see how they can do that? If they were going to start capping house prices , It would be Nationwide, not just Caithness would it not?:confused

Do you think the man was just at it? Sounds a bit suss to me

ice box
04-Nov-06, 15:10
Sorry ice box, can't remember the man's name. Works out of Wick though.Is the name not on the surveyors report ? I would remember him after paying something like £200 or £300 not something you forget easily .

tillygirl
06-Nov-06, 11:35
The surveyor was on behalf of the purchasers. They are friends of ours and they told me the price he had put in the report to them. And by capping, I mean prices in Caithness are rising just as elsewhere but because local people are finding it more difficult to buy a house within their mortgage range, the prices done by some surveyors are being kept artifically low. Not a bad thing if your are a purchaser, but if you need to move out of the county, you'll have your work cut out to find a house you can afford. Still, who would want to leave here? I for one would not.

golach
06-Nov-06, 11:37
The surveyor was on behalf of the purchasers. They are friends of ours and they told me the price he had put in the report to them. And by capping, I mean prices in Caithness are rising just as elsewhere but because local people are finding it more difficult to buy a house within their mortgage range, the prices done by some surveyors are being kept artifically low. Not a bad thing if your are a purchaser, but if you need to move out of the county, you'll have your work cut out to find a house you can afford. Still, who would want to leave here? I for one would not.
Is this legal? A very strange state of affairs