PDA

View Full Version : Man gets 10 years for spitting on officer.

teddybear1873
16-Jan-12, 15:46
Would be interesting to see what the outcome would be here in Scotland. I was reading my local news this morning and came across this.

http://www.live5news.com/story/16527269/sc-man-gets-10-years-for-spitting-on-officer

I'm sure with him having a past criminal history played a part on his sentence.

Most people think spitting is degrading and lowest of the low, but 10 years. Is that too much or does he deserve it?

upolian
16-Jan-12, 15:54
If you compare it to people who for example,drink drive........it seems a bit extreme 10 years for spitting,although im not justifying spitting on somebody,it should be dealt with,but 10 years c'mon!!!

david
16-Jan-12, 16:00
If you compare it to people who for example,drink drive........it seems a bit extreme 10 years for spitting,although im not justifying spitting on somebody,it should be dealt with,but 10 years c'mon!!!

But drink driving stays on your criminal record for 10 years.

Rheghead
16-Jan-12, 16:05
I suppose it depends on the circumstances, if the bloke knew he was HIV+ and he spat on the officer with the intention of infecting him and the officer did become HIV+ then yes 10 years seems reasonable to me.

teddybear1873
16-Jan-12, 16:14
I suppose it depends on the circumstances, if the bloke knew he was HIV+ and he spat on the officer with the intention of infecting him and the officer did become HIV+ then yes 10 years seems reasonable to me.

I agree if that was the case Rheg. Problem is, South Carolina Police have this image that they are just not above the law, but beyond that. Some of the cases I have seen here are way over the top. For example, If someone get's caught having a pee within half a mile of a school, that person will be put on the sex offenders list for life, even if it happened around 3:00am.

Corrie 3
16-Jan-12, 17:09
I would have given him 20 years, we are too darn soft in this country and could learn a lot from South Carolina !!!!

C3...................[disgust][disgust]

bekisman
16-Jan-12, 17:14
Suppose his previous record did not help:

"Mathis' prior criminal record dated back to 1997 with convictions for inhaling hydrocarbons, grand larceny, public disorderly conduct, entering a premises after warning, two counts of glue sniffing, driving without a license, failure to stop for a blue light and resisting arrest," according to the statement."

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 18:33
The article states that he got 10 years for the spitting incident. Yes, it mentioned that he has previous convictions, (hardly anything worth noting anyway) but it doesn't say that his previous had a factor regarding his sentencing.

So, he did get 10 years for spitting on an officer.

10 years is ridiculous. If he had HIV, I'm sure the courts would've known about this & therefore the article would've stated this. Simply put, the guy got 10 years for grogging on a plod.

I say the police officer this happened to should accept that this kind of thing happens in their line of work.

teddybear1873
16-Jan-12, 18:44
The article states that he got 10 years for the spitting incident. Yes, it mentioned that he has previous convictions, (hardly anything worth noting anyway) but it doesn't say that his previous had a factor regarding his sentencing.

So, he did get 10 years for spitting on an officer.

10 years is ridiculous. If he had HIV, I'm sure the courts would've known about this & therefore the article would've stated this. Simply put, the guy got 10 years for grogging on a plod.

I say the police officer this happened to should accept that this kind of thing happens in their line of work.

Yes, and I'm sure they accept they have a high chance of being shot at.

Corrie 3
16-Jan-12, 18:53
No one going off to do a day's work should have to accept that they are likely to be spat at, anyone spitting at an Officer should accept that they will get 10 years for it (In S.Carolina anyway). Of course here they will get a slap on the wrist and sent on a fortnights holiday as punishment!!!
I think the Guy should have had his tongue ripped out to prevent him doing it again!!

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 19:11
No one going off to do a day's work should have to accept that they are likely to be spat at, anyone spitting at an Officer should accept that they will get 10 years for it (In S.Carolina anyway). Of course here they will get a slap on the wrist and sent on a fortnights holiday as punishment!!!
I think the Guy should have had his tongue ripped out to prevent him doing it again!!

Wouldn't life be wonderful for police officers if all the "criminals" put their hands out just to make their job easier?

10 years for spitting is an abuse of power. It's total nonsense. It seems in South Carolina, their still living in the Old Country.

His tongue ripped out? That's a tad too far.

bekisman
16-Jan-12, 19:24
Seems over the pond they ARE a wee bit more strict

CANADA:A 19-year-old man has been sentenced to 21 days in jail for spitting in the face of a Toronto Transit Commission supervisor.

EIRE: A man who was covered in his own excrement when he spat at a garda in courthouse, has been jailed for 10 months.

USA: An Oklahoma man arrested on suspicion of beating his wife faced year in prison and a fine. But when he spit in an arresting officer's face, he got a life sentence instead, officials said Wednesday. John Carl Marquez, 36, was convicted of "placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease.
(You're right Rheghead)

pumkin
16-Jan-12, 19:46
Seems over the pond they ARE a wee bit more strict

CANADA:A 19-year-old man has been sentenced to 21 days in jail for spitting in the face of a Toronto Transit Commission supervisor.

EIRE: A man who was covered in his own excrement when he spat at a garda in courthouse, has been jailed for 10 months.

USA: An Oklahoma man arrested on suspicion of beating his wife faced year in prison and a fine. But when he spit in an arresting officer's face, he got a life sentence instead, officials said Wednesday. John Carl Marquez, 36, was convicted of "placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease.
(You're right Rheghead)

21 days in jail for spitting in the face of a Toronto Transit Commission supervisor. A tad different compared to 10 years. & the life sentence in the last paragraph is madness.

If an individual does have a deadly disease, If, then I've no doubt that a life sentence is the right thing to do. Because that individual is more than aware that they have a deadly disease. But if they don't have a deadly disease, then these sentence's are way too harsh.

I'm not saying it's right to spit on someone, what I am saying is that 10 years & life in prison for this offence (for an individual with no deadly disease) is many steps too far. I think it says it all in the last sentence I highlighted from bekisman's post, it's the fact it's a government employee.

pat
16-Jan-12, 19:47
More bugs in a spit than in a load of excrement.