PDA

View Full Version : Thurso River Salmon Pool

Mystical Potato Head
01-Jan-12, 11:54
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/IMG_4815flickr.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/OrionSalmonPoolflickr.jpg

taz
04-Jan-12, 20:07
Hope you had Thermal socks for that one lol..

wicker05
04-Jan-12, 21:13
No1 for me MPH

astroman
07-Jan-12, 21:30
Cracking photos MPH. Needless to say the second one is my favourite - amazing sky scene for a mere 25s exposure.

Mystical Potato Head
07-Jan-12, 21:39
Cracking photos MPH. Needless to say the second one is my favourite - amazing sky scene for a mere 25s exposure.

Its amazing what ISO 4000 does though.

astroman
08-Jan-12, 00:31
Its amazing what ISO 4000 does though.

Yeah, ISO 4000 and a low noise camera sensor clearly produces excellent results in the right hands. Unfortunately my DSLR max's out at ISO 1600 and generates as much noise as there are stars in the sky at that setting :roll:

Mystical Potato Head
08-Jan-12, 00:55
Yeah, ISO 4000 and a low noise camera sensor clearly produces excellent results in the right hands. Unfortunately my DSLR max's out at ISO 1600 and generates as much noise as there are stars in the sky at that setting :roll:

I was messing around with my modded Canon 1000 at ISO 1600 and i got a real shock as to how noisy it was.Had a go at the Pacman Nebula,only managed to get a few 3 minute exposures,lost most of them because of the wind vibrating the scope.The amount of red nebula picked up was great but would need at least a couple of hours worth of 3,4 or 5 minute exposures to have a chance of combating the noise.
So all thats required is a clear,calm night without a full moon.Not too much to ask for but i cant remember the last one.

astroman
08-Jan-12, 12:39
Noise is definitely a big problem for astrophotography - you can see why some will pay thousands for sensitive low noise CCDs.

I look forward to seeing the results you get once there are some calm clear nights.

Wind has certainly been a big problem recently as I've even struggled to get pics of the Moon which only require an exposure time of a fraction of a second (albeit at very high magnification). Here's one of the few decent ones I got....