PDA

View Full Version : Milligans and Mullikins

milligan101
27-Oct-06, 21:45
Hello,

I wondered if anybody could tell me why my Great, great, great Grandfather John Mullikin (b. 1790) changed his name to Milligan. Some of the records record his sons as Milligan and others as Mullikin. John married Charlotte Bain in 1827. In the 1841 census Charlotte and her children are recorded as Mulikens.:confused

Jenny

caroline
03-Nov-06, 13:56
Hello

I am having the same problem with this surname seems to have various spellings. Any idea who John Mullikin parents were. The family I am researching lived at Coogle or Coghill farm near Watten. Is this possibly the same family. On census records they are recorded as Mulliken's. Furthest back I have is James Mullikin/Mulliken married Isabella Farquhar.

milligan101
04-Nov-06, 00:22
Hi Caroline,

I think John Mullikin's parents are Robert Mullikin and Katherine Horne. According to the Old Parochial Register (Scotlands People), John was born in Kilmster. I know that John was a carpenter and that he and Charlotte Bain lived in Pulteney at the time of their marriage. I haven't come across the names James and Isabella yet.

Thanks for your message.

Jenny

Tricia
05-Nov-06, 13:50
I am interested in this family of Mulliken below in 1841 census - I have in my notes that they also had daugs Elizabeth and Margaret. Elizabeth had Illegitimate son Alexander Cormack b 1832! My Cormacks lived in Cogle from late 1700s. Margaret b 1796 app was unmarried in 1861.
Has anyone anymore on this.

Piece: SCT1841/42 Place: Watten-Caithness Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Watten Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 0 Page: 14
Address: Cogle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MULLIKEN James M 75 Farmer Caithness
MULLIKEN Bell F 65 Caithness
MULLIKEN Magnus M 30 Caithness
MULLIKEN Ann F 25 Caithness
MULLIKEN Bell F 20 Caithness
TAIT William M 13 Male Servant Caithness
MCADIE James M 2 Caithness

Cogle Watten.
" The family name COGHILL / COGLE is almost certainly topographical, notionally circa 1250 as a surname, from the Old Norse 'kof-gil' = 'misty burn' (at the bottom of a ravine), which is certainly a present day feature at the farm of COGLE in the parish of Watten, except that the 'gil' there should really have steep sides."
The farm of COGLE passed out of COGHILL ownership about 1698 after a seven year mini ice age when crops fails during these successive years. He also says that he has "examined a 1518 document that refers to Thomas COGHILL of that samen, i.e. of that Ilk which is Coghill of Coghill in the parish of Watten"
Above notes from Ronald COGHILL who was/is doing a one name study of COGHILL. He estimates that this Thomas Coghill was born about 1475.

Tricia
05-Nov-06, 13:52
this is Elizabeth & Marg Mulliken 1851 with Eliz's son Alex Cormack.

Piece: SCT1851/43 Place: Wick -Caithness Enumeration District: 8
Civil Parish: Wick Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Wick
Folio: 0 Page: 49 Schedule: 195
Address: -
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MULIKEN Elizabeth Head U F 58 - Caithness - Watten
MULIKEN Margt. Sister U F 54 Grocer Caithness - Watten
MULIKEN Susan Dau U F 22 - Caithness - Watten
CORMACK Alexr. Son U M 19 Seaman (No Ship) Caithness - Wick