PDA

View Full Version : No sound.

2little2late
15-Dec-11, 20:18
Have fitted a new screen to my laptop. Acer Aspire 5532. Now there is no sound. Ran the troubleshooter and it appears everything is working properly.
Help is appreciated.

Bobinovich
15-Dec-11, 22:06
It could be you've not reconnected the speakers (or maybe just not fully pushed in the connector) within the laptop when reassembling. The troubleshooter wouldn't be able to tell if they're connected or not as there's no feedback from speakers to the system. Try a set of headphones in the appropriate socket - it you hear sound then that's the most likely scenario.

2little2late
15-Dec-11, 22:27
Head phones are working fine. I'll try reconnecting lead.

2little2late
15-Dec-11, 22:48
disconnected and reconnected lead, still no sound.

RecQuery
15-Dec-11, 23:35
Do they show up in device manager or sound settings? or the equivelant hardware management and sound configuration applications if you're using OSX or Linux.

dx100uk
16-Dec-11, 03:33
i bet you've pulled a connector off inside
are the speaker in the screen area or the botton?

dx

2little2late
16-Dec-11, 18:37
Do they show up in device manager or sound settings? or the equivelant hardware management and sound configuration applications if you're using OSX or Linux.

Yes they do thanks.

2little2late
16-Dec-11, 18:38
i bet you've pulled a connector off inside
are the speaker in the screen area or the botton?

dx
Speakers are on the keyboard part of laptop.

2little2late
16-Dec-11, 18:39
Went into properties and speakers seem to be working

Bobinovich
16-Dec-11, 18:44
If you're certain that you've pushed the speaker connector back in right then the only other thing I can think of is that, when disconnecting it, you may have accidentally pulled out/broken one of the wires from/in the connector...

2little2late
16-Dec-11, 18:55
Is it costly to repair?
Surely if i had broken a wire the properties would tell me the speakers aren't working?

dx100uk
16-Dec-11, 19:41
no the systems are not that cleaver

i wonder if its the headphones socket spring not returning.

dx

2little2late
16-Dec-11, 20:21
I have taken speaker cover off and everything looks fine.

Bobinovich
16-Dec-11, 21:45
Well at this point I'd probably suggest taking it to one of the IT guys on the Wick side (I'm Thurso based) and let them take a look. Considering it's just been taken apart & reassembled, and sound works from the headphone socket, I'd have bet a pound on it being the speaker cable not connected probably, but that's been checked so I really don't know. When you do get it sorted please post up what the problem was.

2little2late
18-Dec-11, 19:01
Well, Ive been trying all weekend but to no avail. Tried downloading driver too. Getting very frustrated now. Any other possibilities?

dx100uk
18-Dec-11, 19:14
ideally you need an oscilloscope and na audio signal generator at best
if you've sound at the headphone socket, then you need to trace
if comes out the otherside of the 'spring' connector
without the phones in

then where that goes to get to the speakers.
typically only wiring/connectors.

dx