PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Thurso

cmartinez518
12-Dec-11, 12:57
Hi there, thinking of driving up to Thurso this week for a few days and was wondering what the conditions are like up there?? Have checked all weather reports and they look ok but would ssoner hear from some people who are up there already and can see first hand.

Planning on arriving Wednesday morning, leaving friday morning. Any help is great. Thanks

Kodiak
12-Dec-11, 13:07
I have not looked at a fprecast but the weather here in Thurso iat the moment is cold but Bright and Sunny with little or no Wind. No Ice or Snow on the ground or so little I would not worry about it.

The best person to advise you about the weather is Tugmistress as she is our Weather Lady. Perhaps if she sees this post she will give you a forecast for the next few days.

Oh yes and one more thing :-

http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

offcomedun
12-Dec-11, 13:12
Same in Lybster...a bit brisk but bright.

cmartinez518
12-Dec-11, 13:53
good good, thank you very much. I shall await a reply from tugmistress but thanks again for that. Looks like its gonna be an all go from me then, and plus i have chains for my tyres so no trouble with a little layer of snow.

Just out of curiousity, do you happen to see much Northern lights up in Thurso this time of year?? And any suggestions on good places to see whilst im there??

Tugmistress
13-Dec-11, 09:47
Take the trip :) the 'storm' for friday has moved further south on last nights charts, i will be checking again and i am not expecting any decent snow fall until the weekend. if you are leaving friday and heading back to the midlands then do it over two days as the storm will be worse down there.
Worst bit you will encounter will be coming over the mountains and dropping down to inverness.

golach
13-Dec-11, 16:20
Just had a phone call from an Orger Canuck, who is trying to make her way north to Thurso, she has asked me to warn anyone who is going to use the the A9. It is blocked at Dalwhinnie, by an accident, its blizzard conditions, and a convoy of vehicles are stuck awaiting snow ploughs to reach them, Canuck has been there over 3 hours

Tugmistress
13-Dec-11, 16:32
Hope cannuck gets up safe, it's the worst part of the trip!

golach
13-Dec-11, 19:53
An hour ago, Canuck was waiting to be towed out of her snow drift, hope it went ok

golach
13-Dec-11, 23:16
Canuck arrived safely.

poppett
14-Dec-11, 19:49
Pleased to hear Canuck arrived safely.

We have a day trip to Raigmore tomorrow and not looking forward to it one little bit.

katarina
15-Dec-11, 09:50
Take the trip :) the 'storm' for friday has moved further south on last nights charts, i will be checking again and i am not expecting any decent snow fall until the weekend. if you are leaving friday and heading back to the midlands then do it over two days as the storm will be worse down there.
Worst bit you will encounter will be coming over the mountains and dropping down to inverness.

What's the weather going to be like on Wednesday? need to drive from Wick to thurso.

Tugmistress
15-Dec-11, 16:10
Sorry Katarina, too early just yet, but i am looking as we need to drive to aberdeen that day lol

poppett
15-Dec-11, 18:39
You were absolutely spot on with your prediction for weather on our day trip to Inverness today. Just walked over to the carpark at Raigmore and the sleety hailstones started pelting down. They were behind us to about Dornoch.