PDA

View Full Version : fire bugs

Murchiemannie
24-Oct-06, 18:04
What is Wick coming to when folk can't feel safe in their homes? I've just seen on STV about the family who had a firework put through their letter box.
Do those morons realise that lives could be lost with such irresponsible behavior.
Time they were rooted and and the punishment made to fit the crime.

jings00
24-Oct-06, 18:10
i like fireworks but only if it is a properly organised display. i think fireworks should be banned for general public sales.

unicorn
24-Oct-06, 18:18
I just read in the press and journal about an incident at the weekend in wick where a toilet roll was soaked with flamable liquid and lit and put through the door, what terrible things to do to people.

Mr P Cannop
24-Oct-06, 19:13
i think we should vote on this ??

Buttercup
24-Oct-06, 19:19
i think we should vote on this ??

Vote on what?:confused

Mr P Cannop
24-Oct-06, 20:18
i like fireworks but only if it is a properly organised display. i think fireworks should be banned for general public sales.

should fire works be banned untill the right time ??

Buttercup
24-Oct-06, 20:23
Thanks for elaborating that, Paul.:)

unicorn
24-Oct-06, 20:23
people have been voting on that for many years but it never makes a bit of difference so what's the point?

Mr P Cannop
24-Oct-06, 21:03
what does elaborating mean ??

Buttercup
24-Oct-06, 21:23
what does elaborating mean ??

Have sent you a pm.

Humerous Vegetable
25-Oct-06, 09:06
I just read in the press and journal about an incident at the weekend in wick where a toilet roll was soaked with flamable liquid and lit and put through the door, what terrible things to do to people.
These people seem to have been targeted because the husband is English. I am an "incomer" too, although Scottish, and I'm begining to wonder if we did the right thing moving to Caithness 3 years ago. What with the poor guy a couple of weeks ago feeling he had been driven out of Thurso because of racism and now this. Some locals seem to be so inbred they make the denizens of Deliverence look cosmopolitan.

paris
25-Oct-06, 09:13
Stick with it up there, we had problems aswell being "incomers " but the good people far out weigh the bad. jan x

WeeBurd
25-Oct-06, 15:00
These people seem to have been targeted because the husband is English. I am an "incomer" too, although Scottish, and I'm begining to wonder if we did the right thing moving to Caithness 3 years ago. What with the poor guy a couple of weeks ago feeling he had been driven out of Thurso because of racism and now this. Some locals seem to be so inbred they make the denizens of Deliverence look cosmopolitan.

Have you had bad experiences yourself since settling in the county, HV? If so, you very much have my sympathy. However, mudslinging and suggesting locals are inbred, will only antagonise peole further. You "seem" to be creating your own prejudices. :confused

Humerous Vegetable
25-Oct-06, 16:27
No, I haven't had any bad experiences personally, probably because I happen to be white and don't have an English accent. What's wrong with antagonising racists? Too many decent people just keep quiet when they should be speaking out. In my opinion.

jaykay
25-Oct-06, 16:58

Why would the family be targeted because the husband is English? There are many English people living in Caithness who have not had fireworks put through their letter boxes. On the other hand there are also many Caithnesian people who have had fireworks put through their letter boxes. In fact it used to be very common for kids to put bangers through peoples letter boxes at this time of year.
I don't beleive the above incident had anything to do with racism. After all there are many other reasons why this family was targeted.
We don't know the whole story!!

Buttercup
25-Oct-06, 17:03

You seem to have inside information Humerous Vegetable ~ Where did you read that they were "targeted because the husband is English"? :confused
As for the "the poor guy a couple of weeks ago feeling he had been driven out of Thurso because of racism" ~ if he had the same attitude as yourself I'm not in the least surprised. Though in no way do I condone Racism or Bulling. He decided to leave and didn't really explain enough for me personally to pass any judgement on his treatment. A lot of bad treatment seems to be put down to racism these days when in actual fact it is more a case of a clash of personalities. Albeit, sometimes with violence & vandalism also being involved, but because the people are of a different colour or nationality it's called racism. To the bullies who are doing these things I don't honestly think it makes any difference who they're doing it to.

henry20
25-Oct-06, 17:11
I agree Buttercup. Bullies are bullies and as long as they have a target, they are happy. If you break it down to the nitty gritty, someone moving from Wick to Thurso - or vice versa, is also an 'incomer'. Anyone moving from Street A to Street B is an 'incomer'.

Also, Jaykay, if you read the paper, it wasn't actually a firework that started the fire.

I have no idea why this family were targetted and probably never will. Maybe they rubbed someone up the wrong way, but this does not give good cause for the house to be set alight.

katarina
25-Oct-06, 18:52
I agree Buttercup. Bullies are bullies and as long as they have a target, they are happy. If you break it down to the nitty gritty, someone moving from Wick to Thurso - or vice versa, is also an 'incomer'. Anyone moving from Street A to Street B is an 'incomer'.

Also, Jaykay, if you read the paper, it wasn't actually a firework that started the fire.

I have no idea why this family were targetted and probably never will. Maybe they rubbed someone up the wrong way, but this does not give good cause for the house to be set alight.

thay also claim to have had a rat put throu the letterbox. I do not know why this family were targeted either, but I don't think it would be because they are english. I have a lot of english friends who have settled in well and love it here. If they have had any bother, they haven't complained, although I would be interested to know how many incomers have had bother.
Too many young hooligans think it's smart to target some one for whatever reason they can come up with - and there is absolutely no excuse for it.
I think the good do outnumber the bad. I hope they catch the thug who did this - they could have been facing a murder charge - and undoubtedly must have been aware of this - that is really frightening.

connieb19
25-Oct-06, 19:04
It seems odd that the person who was seen walking away was wearing a white T shirt, you'd think if you planned to set light to a house at midnight you would wear something a little less noticable. :confused