PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Thatcher...

sandyr1
01-Dec-11, 03:15
I had mentioned Margaret Thatcher on that infamous thread that became a closed shop..

So now I would ask....What did she do...right or wrong...she was the Prime minister for 11 years....
Her statement on Compromise was 'pretty good'!
Didn't she re-juvenite the UK....

Bazeye
01-Dec-11, 03:42
Always hated her with a passion. Until Tony Blair.

Corrie 3
01-Dec-11, 10:56
No Sandy, she killed it!!
And we are still paying for it today!!

C3.......[disgust][disgust]

golach
01-Dec-11, 11:04
Sandy, she stole free milk from our school children and imposed the Poll Tax (now the Community Charge) and used Scotland as guinea pigs in 1989 before imposing the Poll Tax in England, that was her downfall. There is even talk of giving her a State Funeral, she was just a Prime Minister for goodness sake, not Royalty.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 11:11
Ooh Sandy, I got an infraction just for starting a thread with this title.....Trolling :eek:

Corrie 3
01-Dec-11, 11:13
Ooh Sandy, I got an infraction just for starting a thread with this title.....Trolling :eek:
I must admit Duke it is a pretty awful subject for a thread!!!

C3.............:roll:;)

ducati
01-Dec-11, 11:13
I would really, really like someone to explain why they think poll tax is unfair?

It is still based on the value of property and has the added benefit of taking into account the number of earners in a home.:confused

ducati
01-Dec-11, 11:15
I would really, really like someone to explain why they think poll tax is unfair?

It is still based on the value of property and has the added benefit of taking into account the number of earners in a home.:confused

And again, if it is so bad why was it never repealed?

shazzap
01-Dec-11, 14:28
And again, if it is so bad why was it never repealed?

Earners. No over 18s

theone
01-Dec-11, 14:37
Many people remember Margaret Thatcher as some sort of ogre who took everything from everybody for no reason.

I've got a feeling our current leader will be left with the same label.

The fact is both of them had to make wholesale changes to the country following long periods of irresponsible Labour rule.

Labour were in power long enough to remove the poll tax if they wanted to. They didn't because they never had a better alternative. But Maggie will still get the blame.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 15:33
Earners. No over 18s

An over 18 is either working, in full time education or on benefits of some sort, so there is a class of payment or non payment to suit.

shazzap
01-Dec-11, 15:48
An over 18 is either working, in full time education or on benefits of some sort, so there is a class of payment or non payment to suit.

But a husband and wife, were both charged. Irrespective of whether both were working. We had one wage, 5 children and 2 Poll Tax bills.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 15:51
But a husband and wife, were both charged. Irrespective of whether both were working. We had one wage, 5 children and 2 Poll Tax bills.

And were the combined bills bigger than the rates?

shazzap
01-Dec-11, 15:52
And were the combined bills bigger than the rates?

Yes they were.

Corrie 3
01-Dec-11, 15:56
I remember it well, overnight my rates bill went from £96 per annum to £390 for poll tax for 3 of us ! And people ask why I hate Thatcher?

C3..............:eek:[disgust]

shazzap
01-Dec-11, 16:04
I remember it well, overnight my rates bill went from £96 per annum to £390 for poll tax for 3 of us ! And people ask why I hate Thatcher?

It was pay the Poll Tax, or starve the kids. You can hazzard a guess, at which one i didn't do.

Dialyser
01-Dec-11, 16:07

As I recall it had no basis on the value of your property, everyone paid the same regardless of circumstance. In my case I turned 18 and had a 3month period with no income prior to moving away to start my nurse training...........I was still expected to pay the full rate for that year.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 16:50
What about me? I was living in my house on my own, 2 doors down were a large family with 5 big strapping sons running a dairy milk round business, 6 Earners, and I was expected to pay exactly the same rates, and let me tell you, in Cheshire it wasn't cheap, around about that time just before the poll tax it was more than a months wages. I don't call that fair.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 16:51

But that's fair, 3 consumers 3 charges.

shazzap
01-Dec-11, 16:59

Consumers of what??

ducati
01-Dec-11, 17:05
Consumers of what??

Council services of course. What do you think you are paying for?

Dialyser
01-Dec-11, 17:07
You made a decision to live in a house that was bigger than you needed or the family 2 doors down had chosen to live in overcrowded conditions. Either way with that system you had some degree of control over what you would pay.

It also avoided situations like I found myself in. Just how were you meant to pay your poll tax bill when your income was £0?

gleeber
01-Dec-11, 17:26

On one level it is fair but theres more to consider than fairness and theres 2 types of fairness, yours and mine. :lol:
Its not fair that a millionaire in a mansion should pay the same as a pensioner living in the glebe. It takes money to survive in the world and the millionaire has plenty and can afford to pay more. Thats the bottom line if your complaining about fairness. We are all in it together so the more you take out the more you put in. Its a very simple concept. These politicians know that and they accept it. Thats all they have to argue about.
A good Torys a good democrat. I liked that about Mrs T. Thats what she used to get called in the 80s. She was a woman of her time. She didnt change the world but she helped to shape it.

Corrie 3
01-Dec-11, 17:30
A 200% increase overnight? Fair?? And one of them a boy of 17? The only thing I got for my money was 2 bags of rubbish taken away each week, no street lights, no facilities, nothing?
No wonder she and the Tory's are despised by so many!!

C3.............[disgust][disgust]

shazzap
01-Dec-11, 17:31
Council services of course. What do you think you are paying for?

OK. Maybe i was being a bit thick there, but. One income in a houshold. Should mean. One bill.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 18:14
You made a decision to live in a house that was bigger than you needed or the family 2 doors down had chosen to live in overcrowded conditions. Either way with that system you had some degree of control over what you would pay.

It also avoided situations like I found myself in. Just how were you meant to pay your poll tax bill when your income was £0? You don't, even Maggie could not get blood from a stone.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 18:17

It also avoided situations like I found myself in. Just how were you meant to pay your poll tax bill when your income was £0?

What do you base that on? Mine was a 2 bedroom private new build, theirs was a 4 bed council house. Don't get me started on social housing allocation!

ducati
01-Dec-11, 18:20
A 200% increase overnight? Fair?? And one of them a boy of 17? The only thing I got for my money was 2 bags of rubbish taken away each week, no street lights, no facilities, nothing?
No wonder she and the Tory's are despised by so many!!

C3.............[disgust][disgust]

Did he have a job?

Corrie 3
01-Dec-11, 18:27
Did he have a job?
He had just been accepted in the Army and was awaiting his joining instructions so no job as such!

C3..........:roll:

squidge
01-Dec-11, 18:30
The poll tax was A personal tax replacing a property tax(rates). It meant that a person in a small flat paid the same as someone in a massive 10 bedroomed house. It taxed every person over 18 so where a couple in a terraced house formerly paid £79 rates they suddenly paid £400. this when their wages were around £6000 a year and that wasnt bad money. If one of the couple stayed at home they still had to pay both taxes. If you had no income or were on benefits, you still had to pay an amount of around £7 per week when unemployment benefit was less than £50 a week. It was shockingly badly thought out unfair as it hammered the poor more than the rich ... Poorer people paid the same as rich people paid despite their wages being less. It was replaced by the council tax which is a property tax based on your house size and value I think.

Dialyser
01-Dec-11, 18:35
What do you base that on? Mine was a 2 bedroom private new build, theirs was a 4 bed council house. Don't get me started on social housing allocation!

I based it on the fact you only lived two doors apart and that your properties appeared to have the same rateable value. The principle still stands, with that system if you were unhappy with your rates you could move to a property with lower rates.

When I tried to argue my case, I was told that the blood and stone analogy didn't count (Maggie required her pound of flesh regardless of circumstance).

ducati
01-Dec-11, 18:41
As I understand it was based on consumption of services. Therefore any individual, regardless of the size or value of property paid the same as anyone else. You wouldn't expect to go to a supermarket and pay a different price for eggs based on your income would you?

That said, the council tax is a better system.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 18:44
I based it on the fact you only lived two doors apart and that your properties appeared to have the same rateable value. The principle still stands, with that system if you were unhappy with your rates you could move to a property with lower rates.

When I tried to argue my case, I was told that the blood and stone analogy didn't count (Maggie required her pound of flesh regardless of circumstance).

Sigh! I wasn't unhappy with my rates, I just don't see why I should pay the same as a household of 6 earners. And the rateable value probably wasn't the same. Doesn't effect the argument though.

Dialyser
01-Dec-11, 18:48
On paper Poll tax could appear to be reasonable & fair based on consumption of services. The problem, as others have pointed out is that it hit the poorest the hardest.

Agree that the council tax system is a lot better.

Dialyser
01-Dec-11, 18:55
Sigh! I wasn't unhappy with my rates, I just don't see why I should pay the same as a household of 6 earners. And the rateable value probably wasn't the same. Doesn't effect the argument though.

I wasn't suggesting that you were unhappy with your rates. The point I was trying to make was that with rates as with council tax you had a degree of choice over how much you paid, as you could always move to a house with a lower rateable value. Poll tax was a very blunt instrument that disregarded ability to pay and took away the choice of lowering costs through downsizing.

david
01-Dec-11, 19:05
As I understand it was based on consumption of services. Therefore any individual, regardless of the size or value of property paid the same as anyone else. You wouldn't expect to go to a supermarket and pay a different price for eggs based on your income would you?

That said, the council tax is a better system.

Well apart from the bin collection and gritter/snow clearing, I don't consume any other council services, so why do I have to pay for all the other services. In this day and age I am sure they could come up with a system whereby you pay for what you actually use, but they won't.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 19:07
Well apart from the bin collection and gritter/snow clearing, I don't consume any other council services, so why do I have to pay for all the other services. In this day and age I am sure they could come up with a system whereby you pay for what you actually use, but they won't.

Me too, I live a mile from the nearest street lamp!

gleeber
01-Dec-11, 19:09
Aye, its allabout me me me. Its so unfair. Poor me.:roll:

david
01-Dec-11, 19:33
Me too, I live a mile from the nearest street lamp!

I'm about 6 miles.

orkneycadian
01-Dec-11, 19:36
What did she do...right or wrong...she was the Prime minister for 11 years....
Her statement on Compromise was 'pretty good'!

Ahead of her time. Even back then, it seems that it was apparent that the books couldn't be balanced with the way things were going, and measures would have to be taken to correct that.

Only now, are the results of not grasping the nettle decades ago becoming apparent!

orkneycadian
01-Dec-11, 19:37
I'm about 6 miles.

So what the council save in street lighting for you, they spend on fuel sending round the bin lorry! [lol]

david
01-Dec-11, 20:02
So what the council save in street lighting for you, they spend on fuel sending round the bin lorry! [lol]

They got to come round this way for the other neighbours anyway.

ducati
01-Dec-11, 21:03

Brugger! I was going to say that. :lol:

david
01-Dec-11, 22:16

And it keeps them in a job as well apparently, for now at least...

oldmarine
02-Dec-11, 02:49
An interesting thread with interesting comments. For a person who was head of the UK for 11 years, how did she get so unpopular with current orgers?

ducati
02-Dec-11, 16:35
An interesting thread with interesting comments. For a person who was head of the UK for 11 years, how did she get so unpopular with current orgers?

Passed down from parents to children. It's traditional. :roll:

picturegifts
02-Dec-11, 16:50
Well for starters:

Poll Tax
Riots in England
Anti Union Laws
Friendships with despots i.e. Pinochet, Botha etc
Falklands "War"
Allowing Cruise missiles to be based in UK
Extremist views on immigrants
Monetarist Economics which failed to work at time of recession
Opposition to trade embargo on Apartheid South Africa
Privatisation
Nepotism

weezer 316
02-Dec-11, 17:01
Poll Tax
Riots in England
Anti Union Laws
Falklands "War"
Privatisation
Nepotism

1: Your point?
2: Your point?
3: Clearly required. Unions almost destroyed this country in the 70s
4: Nothing better or worse than labour (Gaddafi, continued support of Saudi royal family)
5: Your point?
6: We then developed cruise missiles ourselves........
7: Her policies worked, as evidenced by the fact the country had to call in the IMF just before her and the 90s was almost entirely filled with growth due to her policies.
8: Agreed, disgraceful.
9: Your likely unwilling to pay higher tax to help pay nurses wages and the like, yet seemingly support subsidising loss making industries. A contradiction in terms
10: Not sure specific examples.

david
02-Dec-11, 17:18
Poll Tax
Riots in England
Anti Union Laws
Falklands "War"
Privatisation
Nepotism

4: Nothing better or worse than labour (Gaddafi, continued support of Saudi royal family)
7: Her policies worked, as evidenced by the fact the country had to call in the IMF just before her and the 90s was almost entirely filled with growth due to her policies.
9: Your likely unwilling to pay higher tax to help pay nurses wages and the like, yet seemingly support subsidising loss making industries. A contradiction in terms

Thatcher only sent troops to the Falklands because she was going to lose the next election.

squidge
02-Dec-11, 17:34
The woman was focussed, independant and hard as nails and flourished during a time when women were still struggling to deal with discrimination - she should be admired for that. She was also in charge of a government who encouraged the me me me me me me me attitude to flourish and grow. Her government had little compassion for the people who were struggling - unemployment rose massively and her reaction was much the same as this Government - punitive not supportive. There was no political will to make a better society just a focus on making things better for the individual and there was no understanding of the need to be responsible for others in society. Whilst she is often quoted as saying there is no such thing as society I dont think she meant that fully, I think she meant that there was an over dependence on the state but the message she gave and her lasting legacy is the "Im alright Jack and I dont care whether others are not because I am alright Jack".

golach
02-Dec-11, 17:57
In 1981 John Nott, Maggies Secretary of Defense ordered a defense review with thousands of men being made redundant, also many of our ships were to be phased out and scrapped

http://dalyhistory.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/the-john-nott-1981-defence-cuts-revisited/

Then in 1982 , the Agentinians conveniantly invaded South Georgia and the Falkland Islands, this was right up Maggies street, she wanted to be known as the female Winston Churchill, so she ordered a fleet to be assembled to retake the Falklands. Well it was going to be election year in 1983.
Many of the Officers and Senior Rates on board the armada had their redundancy notices in their back pockets as they sailed.
I wondered then and still do, how many did not make it back to collect their redundantcy monies?
All Maggies fault in my opinion.

Corrie 3
02-Dec-11, 18:13
In 1981 John Nott, Maggies Secretary of Defense ordered a defense review with thousands of men being made redundant, also many of our ships were to be phased out and scrapped

http://dalyhistory.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/the-john-nott-1981-defence-cuts-revisited/

Then in 1982 , the Agentinians conveniantly invaded South Georgia and the Falkland Islands, this was right up Maggies street, she wanted to be known as the female Winston Chruchill, so she ordered a fleet to be assembled to retake the Falklands. Well it was going to be election year in 1983.
Many of the Officers and Senior Rates on board the armada had their redundancy notices in their back pockets as they sailed.
I wondered then and still do, how many did not make it back to collect their redundantcy monies?
All Maggies fault in my opinion.Yes Golach, we must have been the laughing stock of the world...going to war on a bloody cruise liner, what a joke. Mind you, if it happened today Cameron would have to send the Marines out on fishing boats.....Oh no, sorry, there aren't any of those left either are there!!

C3......[disgust][disgust]

picturegifts
02-Dec-11, 18:55
Poll Tax
Riots in England
Anti Union Laws
Falklands "War"
Privatisation
Nepotism

See all of above posts. How many posters think was a fair tax
Is it purely down to coincidence that the two largest events of civil disobedience have occurred whilst Thatcher and her disciple Cameron have been at the helm?

So all the faults of the 1970's were down to Unions and had nothing at all to do with some pretty bad management at the likes of the Leyland, NCB etc

Agreed, "Tory Bliar" was just as bad as Thatcher

Golach's post mirrors mine on Falklands

So that is alright then?

When Thatcher came to power the number of Unemployed was 1,500,000. and inflation rose to 9.5% Her policies saw this more than double, and thousands of people lose both their homes and their livelihoods.

Where did I state that would be "..unwilling to pay a higher tax.."

Mark Thatchers construction deal in Oman in 1984.
Mark Thatchers involvement in an arms deal between BAE & Saudi Arabia in early eighties
Her refusal to back sanctions against South Africa because of her husbands lucrative dealing in that country

golach
02-Dec-11, 19:57
Mark Thatchers construction deal in Oman in 1984.
Mark Thatchers involvement in an arms deal between BAE & Saudi Arabia in early eighties
Her refusal to back sanctions against South Africa because of her husbands lucrative dealing in that country

And her son Mark and his interferance in Africa
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4169557.stm

George Brims
02-Dec-11, 21:29
She worked very hard at it for the whole 11 years!

golach
02-Dec-11, 21:34
She worked very hard at it for the whole 11 years!

Yes she was very good at it George, why else would 2million miners want to make love to her at the same time

George Brims
02-Dec-11, 21:39
It's always amazing to me the high regard in which the damn woman is held over here in the US. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them she was the biggest danger faced by British democracy since World War II.

ducati
02-Dec-11, 21:41
Interesting no one credits her and Ronnie with ending the Cold War.

orkneycadian
02-Dec-11, 22:57

Out of interest, how many "bins per gallon" does the wagon do round your way compared to in the towns?

orkneycadian
02-Dec-11, 23:22
Poll Tax
At last - A fair scheme that ensured we all paid the same - There are very few shops where the price charged is proportional to your income. Same price for us all - Local tax should be the same!

Riots in England
I think you'll find those have been happening for centuries, irrespective of who is Prime Minister!

Anti Union Laws
And where would be we be today if the unions had the same grip as they did then?

Best not mention the present SNP government, Gadaffi and a certain Al-Megrahi....

Falklands "War"
Now yer really having a laff!
Falklands war - Duration = 74 days - British Deaths = 255 - Result = British Territory succesfully defended
Iraq/Afghan/Libya/Syria war (sorry, starting to lose count.....) - Duration 10 years - British Deaths = >600 - Result = Not a lot really

Probably saved us from a nuking!

Maybe she could foretell how congested the country would become 30 years later....

Whilst of course it has worked so much better under Labour....

If only modern day politicians could resist meddling in the affairs of other countries to the same extent....

Privatisation
Without which we wouldnt get to see programmes like The Apprentice and Dragons Den!

Nepotism
Did someone mention Peerages for Cash?

George Brims
03-Dec-11, 02:14
Interesting no one credits her and Ronnie with ending the Cold War.
Crediting those two nitwits with ending the cold war is very fashionable among the right wing in the US. It's nonsense. Jimmy Carter did more, for instance, by financing the forerunners of the Taliban so they provoked the Russians into invading Afghanistan. Not that that particular mess has turned out well for everyone in the long run.

Trajan
03-Dec-11, 03:46
She was also rupert murdochs first british pm, that he had in his pocket. and yee wonder what went wrong wee this country ,, lol.

sandyr1
03-Dec-11, 04:24
It's always amazing to me the high regard in which the damn woman is held over here in the US. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them she was the biggest danger faced by British democracy since World War II.

She was not what most Politicians are...gutless!
Are you another Non Believer?

And the Prime Minister/ President does not make these Major decisions by themselves/ they don't have the power.. Consensus/ agreement by the Majority of the Party....Come on guys/gurls.....think, Maggie Thatcher didn't wake up one moring and think Poll Tax....it was in the offing for years....

Trajan
03-Dec-11, 13:16
She was a vile bully nothing more or less,, here cabinet colleagues did as they were told or they were out on there ear,or there careers were doomed, you should read some of her cabinet colleagues memoirs,,
they hated her more than the labour party at the time, lol,

Dialyser
03-Dec-11, 13:38
This song takes me back to that terrible goverment and in many ways I think it as true now as it was then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRtFqoVW6k

sandyr1
03-Dec-11, 13:41
She was a vile bully nothing more or less,, here cabinet colleagues did as they were told or they were out on there ear,or there careers were doomed, you should read some of her cabinet colleagues memoirs,,
they hated her more than the labour party at the time, lol,

Any kind of Democracy doth not give a Leader the Ultimate Power. You have to have support.
I don't know if you have ever been part of Govt., or any Organization, but one person has to have support of other to get their job done.
So she had full support of her....'Management' for her time in power. Gawd...she had to!

sandyr1
03-Dec-11, 13:44
This song takes me back to that terrible goverment and in many ways I think it as true now as it was then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRtFqoVW6k

You got it right...Neurotics!
Perhaps you can all tell me how she stayed in Power for so long when everyone hated her.
I am not advocating one way or the other/ someone had to support her party....11 years.
Must be 'closet Maggies' here!

Dialyser
03-Dec-11, 13:58
The 1983 election was won on the back of the Falklands conflict.
1987 She had the benefit of tabloid media support (more important then, than it is now). Also Kinnock was never going to be electable. It should also be noted that it was the south of England that voted her in, she had little support elsewhere.

golach
03-Dec-11, 14:02
Sandy, the Scots started the demise of Maggie at 1987 GeneralElection (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1987), the Conservatives had their number of Scottish seatslowered from 21 to 10, their worst performance since before World War I. They lost the seats of Aberdeen South (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Aberdeen_South_(UK_Parliament_constituency)),Angus East (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Angus_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)),Argyll and Bute (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Argyll_and_Bute_(UK_Parliament_constituency)),Banf f and Buchan (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Banff_and_Buchan_(UK_Parliament_constituency)),Cun ninghameNorth (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Cunninghame_North_(UK_Parliament_constituency)), EdinburghCentral (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Central_(UK_Parliament_constituency)), Edinburgh South (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Edinburgh_South_(UK_Parliament_constituency)),Fife North East (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Fife_North_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)),Mora y (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Moray_(UK_Parliament_constituency)), Renfrew West and Inverclyde (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Renfrew_West_and_Inverclyde_(UK_Parliament_constit uency)) and Strathkelvin and Bearsden (http://forum.caithness.org/wiki/Strathkelvin_and_Bearsden_(UK_Parliament_constitue ncy)).There is only one Scottish Tory MP in Westminster now, all down to Maggie

secrets in symmetry
03-Dec-11, 14:05
That's correct golach, but don't forget Michael Forsyth's role in the Tories' demise in Scotland. He was hated almost as much as she was. John Major didn't exactly help either.

secrets in symmetry
03-Dec-11, 14:12
Perhaps you can all tell me how she stayed in Power for so long when everyone hated her.
That's easy. She won easily in 1983 after the jingoistic Falklands campaign and an opposition vote that was split between Michael Foot's left-wing lunatic party and the brand new Liberal-SDP Alliance. Labour was a good bit better in 1987, but they still had a lot of lunatic policies, and the Alliance still didn't have the localised power bases necessary to succeed in the Westminster electoral system. Labour should have won in 1992, but the electorate had bad images and memories of them, and John Major fought back hard on his soapbox towards the end of the campaign. Last but not least, poor Neil Kinnock was never the darling of the British electorate that Tony Blair became a few years later.

Trajan
03-Dec-11, 16:34
She stayed in power for so long because she had mr murdoch backing her,she crushed eh unions, and just in case that wasnt enough , she sold all the countries assests on eh mega cheap to all and sundry,for better or for worse,
its called eh triple whammy ,, lol.
I wonder what lek a pension she gets,,lol.
for all that hard work.

secrets in symmetry
03-Dec-11, 16:51
She stayed in power for so long because she had mr murdoch backing herYes, indeed. Gordon Brown knows more than anyone just how bad things can be with Murdoch's snivelling rats at your neck.

Trajan
03-Dec-11, 17:14
Yes, indeed. Gordon Brown knows more than anyone just how bad things can be with Murdoch's snivelling rats at your neck.

yip yer right there lass, why do you think he,s been lurking in the shadows lek eh bad smell, murdochs got shedloads on him,still, and most oh other rats in westminster, including wavy davy and co,Rebbeca being such close friends an all,, lol.
we as ordinary people just have no idea how fecked up our whole system of government is and has been for donkeys ages. mmm maggie, damn i hope she got final salary.lucky moo,, she is a pensioner,lol.

sandyr1
04-Dec-11, 00:28
Whatever.....If she did not have the support of her 'peers', she would not have survived. It is a very simple process. Yes Mr G., she/they may have cooked her/their goose because of that, but I am sure everyone knows that even the Prime Minister does not have the Power. The P.M. is purely a figure head for the Gov't. ...She had to have many people on her side.
And Scotland is a population of 5 mil compared to the rest of the UK of 57 mil.
And of course it seems strange that everyone hates her, but no ones 'hates' her MP's.

In the Political Business, everyone has 'shedloads' on everyone!