PDA

View Full Version : The BBC....25% less!

sandyr1
29-Nov-11, 02:37
Was just watching CBC, and on there the Wifie from the BBC....Person in charge
Under the Gun they are, and reducing Content by 16% by 2016 with a goal of 25%. 2500 people to be laid off/ a samller Service!
Someone did say that there were No Ads on the BBC in the UK.. She is going to stick with that idea.
But in the Foreign Service, we the Foreigners are and will continue to be charged for adverts.. interesting!

Kodiak
29-Nov-11, 14:00
Quite right too, you should have to pay pay for adverts to enable you to watch the BBC in Canada. It is not as if you are paying the BBC for a TV Licence. You might be paying the Canadian Government for a TV Licemce but none of it goes to the BBC. So if you want to watch BBC you need to pay for it somehow.

Saveman
29-Nov-11, 14:08
Quite right too, you should have to pay pay for adverts to enable you to watch the BBC in Canada. It is not as if you are paying the BBC for a TV Licence. You might be paying the Canadian Government for a TV Licemce but none of it goes to the BBC. So if you want to watch BBC you need to pay for it somehow.

Unless you watch BBC iPlayer.....

sandyr1
29-Nov-11, 15:27

We pay nothing for Television...It is free, other than Big Time Boxing matches etc, which is pay per item/view. I had forgotten you pay the equivalent of $240.00 per year for your TV Licence.. no we watch the BBC World news and any others in the World we wish...'tis free. But we have ads....
Just interesting that you are cutting back, and we are also going thru a turmoil over the salaries etc paid to 'big time presenters'!

George Brims
29-Nov-11, 22:08
Unless you watch BBC iPlayer.....
Unless they have fixed that, it doesn't work outside the UK. They were promising to do that but I don't know if it's happened yet. Bet it will have ads embedded for us furriners.

Tugmistress
29-Nov-11, 22:15
just as a sarcastic thought, maybe someone would put me forward for the BBC weather forecast presenter for up here and pay me £25,000 p.a. (which is double what i earn now) and it would probably be cheaper than what half the pay is for one of those on the telly now lol

Corrie 3
29-Nov-11, 22:24
just as a sarcastic thought, maybe someone would put me forward for the BBC weather forecast presenter for up here and pay me £25,000 p.a. (which is double what i earn now) and it would probably be cheaper than what half the pay is for one of those on the telly now lol
You undersell yourself Tuggs, I bet they are all on around £100K !!! At least with you we would get an accurate forecast not like we get now from the Beeb. Have you seen the new BBC weather website? Absolute rubbish and a waste of money if you ask me, it's total Crap with a capital C!!!!
(And of course you would be more pleasant on the eye than Michael Fish)!!!....;)

C3...........:roll:;)

Tugmistress
29-Nov-11, 22:32
You undersell yourself Tuggs, I bet they are all on around £100K !!! At least with you we would get an accurate forecast not like we get now from the Beeb. Have you seen the new BBC weather website? Absolute rubbish and a waste of money if you ask me, it's total Crap with a capital C!!!!
(And of course you would be more pleasant on the eye than Michael Fish)!!!....;)

C3...........:roll:;)

lol corrie, never seen the bbc website let alone the weather bit! only bit i have seen is the iplayer when i have missed casualty!

Corrie 3
29-Nov-11, 22:52
lol corrie, never seen the bbc website let alone the weather bit! only bit i have seen is the iplayer when i have missed casualty!
Here you go Tuggs, have a laff at this!!!

C3....:(:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/kw1

Tugmistress
29-Nov-11, 23:11
here you go tuggs, have a laff at this!!!

C3....:(:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/kw1

yuk!!!!!!!!

gleeber
29-Nov-11, 23:35
There was a time when the only subjects people were reluctant to discuss was poitics and religion. Nowadays, with the internet you have to be careful about everything so I am reluctant to mention the weather forecasts. :lol:

I have an admission to make. The bbc are the tops. All the other news agencies are just as competant, and tugmistress too but ive been with the bbc for a long time. Theyve rarely let me down although sometimes the weather didnt respond as they forecast.

carols a weather girl on BBc Breakfast and shes from Fort william. I dont know much about how datas collected and then analysed and then the various departments that are dependant on the weather are informed and what they do with it. Theres bound to be openings for enthusiasts in the weather business.

jimbews
30-Nov-11, 10:35
Unless they have fixed that, it doesn't work outside the UK. They were promising to do that but I don't know if it's happened yet. Bet it will have ads embedded for us furriners.
It is deliberately like that: they look at where your ISP is based and allow or deny access based on that.
So Brits living abroad get software to fool the system such as Expat Shield:
http://download.cnet.com/Expat-Shield/3000-2092_4-75211377.html