PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness?

Kingetter
23-Oct-06, 01:51
No more Manhole cover but Person Cover.
All are Actors no more Actresses.
Ms and not Miss or Mrs.

Well if we go down this route does Female become Fe?
Can't be Feperson because of the use of 'Son' it could be Feper instead.
We can't use Woman because of 'Man' Can't use Person because of 'Son'
So is it Wo or Woper for woman?

So where do we go from here then?

JAWS
23-Oct-06, 02:48
It's as bad as those who insist on addressing "The Chair". I really do worry about people who think they are going to get a response from an inanimate object.
I really think they should seek treatment, especially when they insist they got a response.

Kingetter
23-Oct-06, 02:50
Along with "Chair" I'd put "Table a Motion". When I was in hospital, I was asked about my motions - could hardly "table" them eh?

pultneytooner
23-Oct-06, 08:59
No one fails a class anymore, he's merely "passing impaired."

You don't have detention, you're just one of the"exit delayed."

Your bedroom isn't cluttered, it's just "passage restrictive."

These days, a student isn't lazy. He's "energetically declined."

Your locker isn't overflowing with junk, it's just "closure prohibitive."

Kids don't get grounded anymore. They merely hit "social speed bumps."

Your homework isn't missing, its just having an "out-of-notebook
experience."

You're not sleeping in class, you're "rationing consciousness."

You're not late, you just have a "rescheduled arrival time."

You're not having a bad hair day, you're suffering from "rebellious
follicle syndrome."

You don't have smelly gym socks, you have "odor-retentive athletic footwear."

No one's tall anymore. He's "vertically enhanced."

You're not shy. You're "conversationally selective."

You don't talk a lot.. You're just "abundantly verbal."

You weren't passing notes in class. You were "participating in the discreet exchange of penned meditations."

You're not being sent to the principals office. You're "going on a mandatory field trip to the administrative building."

It's not called gossip anymore. It's "the speedy transmission of near-factual information."

The food at the school cafeteria isn't awful. It's "digestively challenged."

Kingetter
23-Oct-06, 09:12
Awfy stuff really isn't it? But the more of it that is added, the greater the 'window of opportunity' for more, right?

Jeid
23-Oct-06, 11:23
I think it's time for a PC backlash. We can only take this so far and in my opinion, it's gone way over the top.

cuddlepop
23-Oct-06, 11:27
Mr Cp was corrected when he asked for black coffee and was told :Sir thats coffee with no milk::eek:

Jeid
23-Oct-06, 12:42
That's crazy. I always ask people if they want black or white coffee. I'm sick of PC. It's just gotten out of control.

Sairheed
23-Oct-06, 12:48
Reminds me of a true story and the guy is Irish - when asked whether he wanted white or black coffee, replied: " I'll have black with milk".

squidge
23-Oct-06, 14:45
I agree that political correctness is an absolute pain, person hole covers - whoever heard the like!!!!!

I dont like "the chair" either although i think chairperson is acceptable. I dont agree with Kingetter including Ms though.

I am a Ms. I was a miss before i got married then i was a Mrs whilst i was married but now I am on my own again I use my maiden name and find i prefer Ms. Im too old to be a "miss" Being called MIss makes me think of that "miss" that Dick Emery used to do - the " Oooh you are awful but I like you" :roll:. I will answer to Mrs but i prefer to be referred to as Ms.

connieb19
23-Oct-06, 19:17
I agree that political correctness is an absolute pain, person hole covers - whoever heard the like!!!!!

I dont like "the chair" either although i think chairperson is acceptable. I dont agree with Kingetter including Ms though.

I am a Ms. I was a miss before i got married then i was a Mrs whilst i was married but now I am on my own again I use my maiden name and find i prefer Ms. Im too old to be a "miss" Being called MIss makes me think of that "miss" that Dick Emery used to do - the " Oooh you are awful but I like you" :roll:. I will answer to Mrs but i prefer to be referred to as Ms.So at what age are you too old to be a miss? I always class myself as Miss because I think Ms is for the oldies lol. :eek: I want to be Miss when I'm an old biddie of 90.

cuddlepop
23-Oct-06, 20:13
Connie19,miss is much to prime and proper being a ms is much more fun;)

rockchick
23-Oct-06, 20:24
Is it ridiculous? Yes...but no...

Calling manholes "personholes" just doesn't sound right, and is a bit over the top in my opinion...but changing the title of "mailman" to "mail carrier" accurately reflects they that do the job, whether they have a y-chromosome or not...

I will always be a "Ms"; not a miss, or a mrs., even though I am happily married to a wonderful man who's name I've taken. Why am I a Ms? Well, where is the "R" in Missus??? I am not a "Mr's", I am my own person, who happens to be married, just like my husband. Why should my title denote my marital status, as though that was the most important part about me?

Women should have their own value, not based on their marital status, and the jobs they do should reflect that.

peedie
23-Oct-06, 20:32
ok a person hole just sounds rude i'm sorry to lower the tone but i couldnt help but giggle when i read that, and i am not going to even try not to laugh if it does get changed (childish i know but i cant help it!)
as for the black/white saga, i'm not bothered, its gotten to the stage where ppl are so fussy its all gettin a bit basil fawlty and dont mention zee war! [lol]
instead of asking what colour people are why dont we ask their names instead and call them by that :)