PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination?

cuddlepop
19-Oct-06, 21:08
Tonight in the news it was reported that :the Veil:woman lost her fight to be allowed to wear the veil as she pleases.She was awarded£1000 for Injury to her feeings and is at present suspended on full pay.
Is it me? but didn't she know that as a teaching assistant that is employed as a bilingual support worker it is important that the children can clearly see her mouth and can communicate clearly with her.IT must be like speaking to someone with their hand over their mouth.What if there were deaf children in the class that had to lip read,would another veilless support worker be employed.
This is taking being politically correct to extremes.[disgust]

Cazaa
19-Oct-06, 21:11
I did an Open University diploma and had to communicate with people over a telephone. Just imagine that? Couldn't see their lips moving at all. Still managed to cope.

pultneytooner
19-Oct-06, 22:23
Tonight in the news it was reported that :the Veil:woman lost her fight to be allowed to wear the veil as she pleases.She was awarded£1000 for Injury to her feeings and is at present suspended on full pay.
Is it me? but didn't she know that as a teaching assistant that is employed as a bilingual support worker it is important that the children can clearly see her mouth and can communicate clearly with her.IT must be like speaking to someone with their hand over their mouth.What if there were deaf children in the class that had to lip read,would another veilless support worker be employed.
This is taking being politically correct to extremes.[disgust]
Thank whoever, it's a blow for common sense at last. She lost her case but got £1000 compensation, what a waste of taxpayers money. ;)

pultneytooner
19-Oct-06, 22:25
I did an Open University diploma and had to communicate with people over a telephone. Just imagine that? Couldn't see their lips moving at all. Still managed to cope.
She was in the wrong, was proved to be wrong, end off.[disgust]

jacktar
19-Oct-06, 22:26
Do you think she wore the veil at her interview?

caithness import
19-Oct-06, 22:29
Please advise me here, if it's illegal to go into a bank wearing a motorcylce helmet, is it the same for religous headwear? Slightly off the beaten track but I'm curious.

Also, is there a difference in principle between hoodies and all this muslim headgear? Again, am curious?

Cheers

pultneytooner
19-Oct-06, 22:33
Please advise me here, if it's illegal to go into a bank wearing a motorcylce helmet, is it the same for religous headwear? Slightly off the beaten track but I'm curious.

Also, is there a difference in principle between hoodies and all this muslim headgear? Again, am curious?

Cheers
I don't know if it's illegal but I am sure if I worked in a bank then I would be pretty suspicious of anybody not showing their face.

j4bberw0ck
19-Oct-06, 23:12
it's illegal to go into a bank wearing a motorcylce helmet

No, it isn't. You are asked to remove headgear which obscures your features so that the security camera can photograph you.

No, there isn't. Not from the point of view of a Western democracy, as opposed to a Stone Age repressive theocracy.

scorrie
20-Oct-06, 12:22

Ah, but you have to remember that you can hear a smile on the telephone. Can you hear one from behind a veil?

sweetpea
20-Oct-06, 12:35
I'm not really bothered one way or the other about the veils but I don't agree with it being worn in certain situations like in the classroom. Communication relies on being able to read facial expressions etc not just about spoken words. Plus the fact that she could have a deaf child in her class at any time.

Kingetter
20-Oct-06, 14:27

Cheers

You asked but maybe many more are wondering the same thing!

canuck
20-Oct-06, 14:44

Cheers

I am just guessing on this because I do not know the muslim law, but it is very likely that veiled women do not enter banks because it is too public a function for them to be engaged in. Those who wear the veil practise a form of the religion that reflects the ancient practise of separating men and women in public and private lives. Men work in the public realm, women in the private realm. Education would have traditionally been a household function, thus a school would be an area suitable for women to work now. Banking was a public function and woman would not be engaged in such activities. So following those traditions we would likely not see veiled muslims in modern banks.

Tristan
20-Oct-06, 16:52
I am just guessing on this because I do not know the muslim law, but it is very likely that veiled women do not enter banks because it is too public a function for them to be engaged in. Those who wear the veil practise a form of the religion that reflects the ancient practise of separating men and women in public and private lives. Men work in the public realm, women in the private realm. Education would have traditionally been a household function, thus a school would be an area suitable for women to work now. Banking was a public function and woman would not be engaged in such activities. So following those traditions we would likely not see veiled muslims in modern banks.

The veil seems to worm much more openly in Britain.
There has been a lot of debate and opinions being expressed in the media.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6068408.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5413012.stm