PDA

View Full Version : Suspect phone call.

Seabird
01-Nov-11, 18:29
Wife received call from a windows so called engineer asking for computer access because of call they received saying internet was slow. Wife thought at first our son had put in complaint and this was an engineer trying to repair the problem. when he asked her to take off the security settings because they were corrupting the system and said it will cost £26 she smelt a rat and refused, then he became more insistant that it must be done now, she then terminated the call. My son had been complaining that the internet was slow but had not contacted anyone.

Colin

starfish
01-Nov-11, 18:37
there was something about this on here a few weeks ago

david
01-Nov-11, 18:44
We get a call like this every few weeks. Just tell them that your OH is an IT expert and you know it's impossible for them to know you have a "problem"

Kodiak
01-Nov-11, 18:52
I had a phone call from a person who said thst they were a Windows Engineer about 2 weeks ago. I got him slightly confused when I told him that I already had Double Glazing, I dont know how I did not burst out laughing. [lol]

poppett
01-Nov-11, 18:57
Loving your style Kodiak. But easy to be taken in by these folks, especially if you have pc problems.

purplelady
03-Nov-11, 00:55
had the same call last week told him did not have the internet and hung but this guy knew my name xxxx

Wizzbang
05-Nov-11, 01:18
I wonder where they get the phone numbers from. Were supposed to be ex directory and still get these weird calls. I knew he was talking rubbish when he mentioned there was a problem with my windows as I use linux.
The last time my girlfriend answered and told him to hold a minute. we it off the hook for ten minutes. He wasn't there after that and have so far not had any more calls....touch wood

purplelady
05-Nov-11, 12:54
have not heard from them again either he knew my name and my email address scarey x

Gronnuck
05-Nov-11, 14:22
After a couple of calls and a blast of my survival whistle they know better than to cold call me, ;-)

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 15:05
This is what I did when I got "the call" in the summer (edited for brevity):

That reminds me, I received a call from one of the faux Microsoft scammers yesterday morning. You know, the ones that insist you have a virus on your computer and want to help you remove it.

I gave this joker the verbal runaround for what seemed like about 20 minutes. I played dumb and talked him round and round in circles. I got him so frustrated that he was getting angry because I wouldn't understand what he was saying. Eventually, he gave up and hung up before he blew his top.

I spent ages trying to get him to give me his bank account details, and I think I almost convinced him that he'd promised to send me a new computer to replace the one with the virus!

RecQuery
05-Nov-11, 16:55
This is what I did when I got "the call" in the summer (edited for brevity):

I finally got one of those calls, I spent a good hour being the worst tech support customer ever before finally letting the guy into a VM I brought up.

For anyone that cares a quick way to end it is just to say you have a Mac or run Linux.

secrets in symmetry
05-Nov-11, 17:51
You must have the patience of a saint RecQuery - I thought I was doing well keeping him going for about 20 minutes!

I also pulled Kodiak's stunt of telling him I had new windows in the house, and a whole gamut of other nonsense. I'm surprised he didn't cotton on to my games early on.