PDA

View Full Version : sir humphrey davy

pirateeye
17-Oct-06, 23:06
he is my great great great great great uncle. has anyone heard of him? noone seems to have up here but he was a great inventor...

connieb19
17-Oct-06, 23:13
he is my great great great great great uncle. has anyone heard of him? noone seems to have up here but he was a great inventor...
What did he invent pitateye? :)

pirateeye
17-Oct-06, 23:16
the minors lamp

Kingetter
18-Oct-06, 00:56

Yes - well known for the lamp, but had other interesting stuff too - see:-http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/history/davy.htm

pirateeye
18-Oct-06, 01:14
thanks for that, is an interesting page. i've heard a lot about him from my family. i love finding out about relations from the past. my great granny was a davy. came from her side of the family. theres a statue of him in cornwall...

Kingetter
18-Oct-06, 01:18
thanks for that, is an interesting page. i've heard a lot about him from my family. i love finding out about relations from the past. my great granny was a davy. came from her side of the family. theres a statue of him in cornwall...
The power of google! Yes, quite an interesting life he had. A good 'relation' to have I'd say.

ciderally
26-Oct-06, 19:30
lived in penzance for a number of years, and there are a few wickers that attend the sir humphrey davy school, plus a rather large statue of him on the main street in penzance

Kingetter
26-Oct-06, 19:34
Really? maybe you ought to get a thread going on the General Board about the Wick connection? If there's enough to say I suppose and you will know the answer to that.

Wizzbang
27-Oct-06, 05:45
I heard about him in School but also had a book of "Silly verse" by Spike Milligan he had a poenm if I remember it rightly :

Sir Humphrey Davy Abominated gravy.
He lived in the odium Of having discovered sodium.

Although I think it was someone else who wrote it and not Spike.

Ian baker
26-Mar-08, 14:10
My Mother when she was young saw a family tree that had sir humprey davy on it as part of our family tree.
I am trying to trace the connection as we no longer have that family tree in our family to relate to.
My mother has worked back from the present generation as far as she can go and i am working on the Davy part to try and find the connection.
any information on this would realy help.
My Email address is i.m.baker@btconnect.com