PDA

View Full Version : Marine Inn, Thurso

dragonfly
14-Oct-06, 17:04
I see that the Marine Inn is up for sale (£130k), hope whoever takes it over will restore it to a pub/restaurant again and not buy it for housing development - maybe a good place for a Wetherspoons in Thurso???

http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk/uploaded/marine%20inn.web.jpg

Billy Boy
14-Oct-06, 17:12
don't be to surprised if it's turned into flat's lol,a lot of good memories there, got my first pint there at fifteen:eek: ooooh the good old day's

DrSzin
14-Oct-06, 17:31
£130,000 eh? How does "Szin's" or "Szin's Bar" sound?

changilass
14-Oct-06, 17:33
Sounds great Doc, I'll def be there for a drink:lol:

Kingetter
14-Oct-06, 17:33
Or the "Szin" place to be?

dragonfly
14-Oct-06, 17:39

sounds like "skins" but as long as its lot like it inside, that will do fine Dr! are you tempted then??

cuddlepop
14-Oct-06, 17:41
Szins z bar,like the sound of that one too ,its almost esotic:lol:

Rheghead
14-Oct-06, 17:48
I doubt if it would get a drinks license now after all this time. A lot of residents would complain about the noise and stuff.

connieb19
14-Oct-06, 17:49
Whereabout in Thurso is it?

DrSzin
14-Oct-06, 18:05
The Marine Inn is down by the harbour - Shore Street perhaps? It's roughly in the centre of this map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=kw14&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=58.597166,-3.515346&spn=0.003813,0.011029&om=1) and there's another pic of it here (http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/marineinn/index.htm).

When did it close? And has it been used for anything since?

golach
14-Oct-06, 18:09
The Marine Inn is down by the harbour - Shore Street perhaps? It's roughly in the centre of this map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=kw14+7pn&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=58.597144,-3.515818&spn=0.003505,0.011029&om=1) and there's another pic of it here (http://www.caithness.org/atoz/thurso/marineinn/index.htm).

When did it close? And has it been used for anything since?
Been closed for sometime now I think last time I was there was in the 80's and the bar staff had never heard of Vodka and Coke, Mrs G's tipple not mine [lol]

dragonfly
14-Oct-06, 18:14
must have closed late 80's early 90's, been lying empty since then I think, its in such a lovely setting it was a shame seeing it becoming derelict - walk past it most days if going along the beach and always wished something would be done with it

acameron
14-Oct-06, 18:19
It was a good pub - shame what has happened to it. Why dont all the orgers chip in together and buy it.

Rename it "Orgers Marine"

engiebenjy
14-Oct-06, 18:37
Is it not a listed building because it is an original 'inn'?

dragonfly
14-Oct-06, 18:46
according to Caithness Solicitors Property Centre (http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk/asp/viewpr.asp?range=3&townid=1&curpage=3) its now delisted

buggyracer
14-Oct-06, 19:45
it is a lovely setting, who owns it? why has it lay in this state for so long??

Jeid
14-Oct-06, 19:53
In all honesty, I doubt it'd get turned into a Wetherspoons. There's a good pub cirlce in Thurso again... Holburn, Comm, Top Joes, Newmarket, Liquid(a millions miles away admittedly) why would we need another pub to steal business from locals?

In Wick, I thought it was a great idea, just can't say the same for Thurso.

I think it's probably gonna be developed into flats. Would be a great place to live.

dragonfly
14-Oct-06, 20:22
it is a lovely setting, who owns it? why has it lay in this state for so long??

Jackie Gulloch used to run it but don't know if he and his wife owned it too, no doubt someone will know?

Jeid, Thurso has a good "BAR" circle not a good pub circle, I feel totally alienated when I go to places you have mentioned - think there is a gap in the market for a pub that has a more old-fashioned feel to it - old guys in the corner playing dominoes, playing pool, darts, enjoying a drink with partners/friends and being able to hear the conversation and see who you are talking to - maybe I am going to the wrong places but please point me in the right direction if you know of anywhere in Thurso like this - and I'm too young for the Legion before anyone names it ;-)

haha, see its made it onto the front page of the Org (http://www.caithness.org/index.htm)

dozy
14-Oct-06, 20:33
I heard that Wetherspoons have already done a deal for the Post office building at the lights ...I'm a little older that some on ORG and the Marine closed due to the owner trying to open up the downstairs and extend the bar .They took out the loadbearing wall and the building near collapsed .The front off the building parted company with the end wall .If you go to the beach end and look at the end wall you'll see for yourself .The building was condenmed and they had to stop trading. The insurance company said it was self inflicted and walked away ....Sorry to say it but its better demolished and rebuilt in keeping ...It was a quaint little bar in its day ,with a stone floor and a fire .Thats the proper Marine not the 80s version .It was a bar for Fisherman ,so it was pints , rum and sawdust on the floor ..The fisherman were the Oags.. Simpsons. Reids and the Macintoshs ..and of coarse the Down tooners .....

Billy Boy
14-Oct-06, 20:36
did jocky omand not have it at one point?,i know he used to have the house's at the side of it,

Bobinovich
14-Oct-06, 20:40
I heard that Wetherspoons have already done a deal for the Post office building at the lights

Oooh that would sting where it hurts [evil] - a Wetherspoons right next to Skins - perfect for the pub crawlers, and also somewhere to take on the Central serving decent reasonably-priced pub grub and which is kid friendly. Would see some gnashing of teeth over that I believe ;)

cullbucket
14-Oct-06, 20:55
Jackie Gulloch used to run it but don't know if he and his wife owned it too, no doubt someone will know?

Jeid, Thurso has a good "BAR" circle not a good pub circle, I feel totally alienated when I go to places you have mentioned - think there is a gap in the market for a pub that has a more old-fashioned feel to it - old guys in the corner playing dominoes, playing pool, darts, enjoying a drink with partners/friends and being able to hear the conversation and see who you are talking to - maybe I am going to the wrong places but please point me in the right direction if you know of anywhere in Thurso like this - and I'm too young for the Legion before anyone names it ;-)

haha, see its made it onto the front page of the Org (http://www.caithness.org/index.htm)

St Clair Public Bar

dragonfly
14-Oct-06, 20:59
I believe that even that is getting modernised Cullbucket, course there is always the Parks public bar!?!?! though I cut my teeth on the barstools in there when my Mum worked there

golach
14-Oct-06, 20:59
I heard that Wetherspoons have already done a deal for the Post office building at the lights ...I'm a little older that some on ORG and the Marine closed due to the owner trying to open up the downstairs and extend the bar .They took out the loadbearing wall and the building near collapsed .The front off the building parted company with the end wall .If you go to the beach end and look at the end wall you'll see for yourself .The building was condenmed and they had to stop trading. The insurance company said it was self inflicted and walked away ....Sorry to say it but its better demolished and rebuilt in keeping ...It was a quaint little bar in its day ,with a stone floor and a fire .Thats the proper Marine not the 80s version .It was a bar for Fisherman ,so it was pints , rum and sawdust on the floor ..The fisherman were the Oags.. Simpsons. Reids and the Macintoshs ..and of coarse the Down tooners .....
Have shared a dram or two with Gilbert Reid a few times when up on holiday.

evelyn
14-Oct-06, 21:50
The Marine was always a mecca for Wickers in Thurso as I recall. It would be great to see the old place opened again.

Fran
15-Oct-06, 00:02
I remember it well, it was very popular. One of the
old Thurso lifeboat crew members who had a leg amputated, cant remember his name, was well known for sitting there and talking about old times. He was quite an age and lived a few doors away. When it closed he used to get taxis to another pub.
I think it will be turned into flats/houses as the other property around it has been converted into houses.Also next door is housing.

cullbucket
15-Oct-06, 01:34
I remember it well, it was very popular. One of the
old Thurso lifeboat crew members who had a leg amputated, cant remember his name, was well known for sitting there and talking about old times. He was quite an age and lived a few doors away. When it closed he used to get taxis to another pub.
I think it will be turned into flats/houses as the other property around it has been converted into houses.Also next door is housing.

Are you talking about Hootnah?
His picture is on the wall of the Comm...
Cant believe the St Clair Public is getting done up, there'll be nowhere left soon....
The Mountain Dew in Wick was pretty good the few times I went there and the Melvich Hotel Public Bar was also good last time I looked.

Fran
15-Oct-06, 02:32
Yes, thanks for that, it was hootnah.

Sporran
15-Oct-06, 06:37

Or how about "Szin's Seaview Inn" or "Szin's By The Sea"? Perhaps even "Szin's Viewfirth" or "Szin's Pentland View"? :cool:

Does anybody know when the Marine Inn was built?

Kingetter
15-Oct-06, 15:12
It was a good pub - shame what has happened to it. Why dont all the orgers chip in together and buy it.

Rename it "Orgers Marine"

Maybe not such a daft idea - look at front page of CCWS -
Many New Funding Opportunities For Charities And Voluntary Groups, Schools Etc (http://www.caithness.org/links/fundingforcharities.htm)

Not sure about a pub, but an Orgers Club maybe?

Gleber2
15-Oct-06, 15:34
Ah, the good old days when I could get pie-eyed for 2/6. A certain Wick based dentist is, I believe, the present owner. It was the only pub in Thurso where you would never see Old Chobbers, my father, which made it the only pub for my first underage experiments with booze.

Kingetter
15-Oct-06, 15:36
Then maybe its high time the place was 'in use' again?

Gleber2
15-Oct-06, 15:39
Then maybe its high time the place was 'in use' again?

Can't see it happening. The housing was much sparser when it was open but now it is surrounded by houses.

Kingetter
15-Oct-06, 15:40
And nae orgers living in them I suppose?

DrSzin
15-Oct-06, 18:08
I've just downloaded the details from CSPC (http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk/asp/viewpr.asp?range=3&townid=1&curpage=3). The place is much bigger than I thought, so you'd get a lot of real estate for your money. However, it'll take a lot more money to turn it back into a pub, restaurant or whatever.

I quite like cuddlepop's idea - "Szin ze Bar" sounds cool. What about the "Orgers' Return"?

I only remember going in there once. It was hot, busy, and noisy, and I think everyone was steaming! And, yes, it was indeed full of fishermen - I recall a couple of Simpson brothers standing by the door. Was the bar quite small, or is my memory playing games?

peter macdonald
15-Oct-06, 19:24
Hootnah s real name was Angus Reid and I had a few drams with him on more than one occasion His yarns were the stuff of legend!! especially when he told about his times with Magnus Mackay aboard the Sealgair !! Angie MacIntosh was a very fine guy as well I was also one of the Weekers who thought the Marine was about as good as it got ....Its beer even rivalled the IPA in the Station!!

mareng
15-Oct-06, 19:36
Are you talking about Hootnah?
His picture is on the wall of the Comm...
Cant believe the St Clair Public is getting done up, there'll be nowhere left soon....
The Mountain Dew in Wick was pretty good the few times I went there and the Melvich Hotel Public Bar was also good last time I looked.

I believe that Hootnah got the nickname when he was a baby and pronounced "Ha'penny" as "Hootnah" repeatedly, and the name stuck throughout life.

So, what chance is there for "Frantic Fred"? (of Frantic Fred's Disco) - Is he going to be known as "Frantic" when he is 80?

Jeid
15-Oct-06, 20:29
He's too old for the name Frantic as it is!

Check your tiger feet at the door...

mareng
15-Oct-06, 20:34
He's too old for the name Frantic as it is!

Check your tiger feet at the door...

Good one!................................

thebigman
20-Oct-06, 18:42
The gable wall collapsed when they were excavating to build the flats which are attached, nothing to do with any work to the pub and the pub was shut by that time.

Wizzbang
21-Oct-06, 00:08
Wow £130K it was only £65K a few years ago and it doesnt look like any improvements have been made.

Watched a few local bands on a saturday night in there in the 80s after the station had closed for the night