PDA

View Full Version : NDA Consultation On Archive For Wick Today Thursday 29 September

Bill Fernie
29-Sep-11, 11:04
The NDA is holding a consultation event in the Norseman in Wick today between 10.00am and 8.00pm.

It would only take a few minutes of time to pop in and look at the posters and speak to the staff if you have questions.

This is potentially a very important facility that could be based at Wick creating up to 20 jobs if the nuclear archives for the UK were to be based up at the airport. Highland Council has offered land as a contributuion to make the deal attractive. the archive at wick library would also go to the new facility with modern public access to records etc.

We have been keen to encourage this new facility and the jobs that go with it. Like all public bodies the NDA is looking closely at its projects and what it can afford in the light of current spending reviews.

The NDA will probably be partly gauging the public interest.

If you can manage to go for a few minutes it would be good.

Thanks

Bill Fernie

John Little
29-Sep-11, 19:17
I believe that they are putting in Wick because of the airport.

I'm sure that it will be packed out.

Moira
29-Sep-11, 20:18
<snip>
The question is WHY are they putting it in Wick ..This seams to many that this is the same under the counter shame as the Caithness Heat and Power Project ...
There's a lot of information out there in connection with this project. I would answer your question with another question. Why not Wick?

A quick google search did bring up a link which suggests that the original funding may be cut back.
http://www.investcaithness.com/news/archive/nuclear-archive-for-wick-pledge

Further searching did not bring to light any connection between NDA & The Caithness Heat and Power Project. Do you have a link?

robbain
30-Sep-11, 00:30
Is this NDA archives going to a pie in the sky? If wee Eck Salmon gets his own way, Scotland would be Independent, UK government would mothball the project? Wee Eck Salmon and SNP cronies are dangerous to the project. Tories/Libs could put this project on hold with several reasons, save money or wait until Wee Eck gets own way with Scotland. Also the way the Highland Council going, it would not be in their remit to carry on with this, as the Archives under the Council are going into HLH trust. So do you trust your councillors?

John Little
30-Sep-11, 08:12
I think from what I read, that 'Nuclear Archives' is not really an accurate term. It will really be the Highland Archives with the Nuclear bit tagged on.

I cannot imagine that folk will be flocking in from all over the world to visit a Nuclear Archives - in fact I think the building would mostly be empty apart from the staff, and that it would not long survive.

But as the Highland Archives will be housed in the same building I think that would get a lot lot more visitors..
So why not just call it the 'Highland Archives'?

Eilanboy
30-Sep-11, 09:01
Its more jobs for the east side of the county ,i dont think they would be going to Wick if the Highland Council did not sweeten the pot in Wick's favour.
The question is WHY are they putting it in Wick ..This seams to many that this is the same under the counter shame as the Caithness Heat and Power Project ...

You sad sad person

Green_not_greed
30-Sep-11, 20:12
Wick's being archived - really ! When?

Bill Fernie
01-Oct-11, 08:53
Just a couple of points on the Nuclear Archive.

The reason the council offered the land in Wick was that one of the stipulations for location was that they wanted it to be near an airport.

The nuclear archive will not be open to the public. It will mainly be used by professionals in the nuclear industry and will probably use state of the art computers etc. It is expected that many visitors will be professionals, scientists etc from all over the world who are allowed access to the material stored.

A small part of the new facility would be made over to the councils Highland Archive and would be open to the public as the present one is. Storage and public access would be hugely improved.

dozy
03-Oct-11, 18:50
Bill thanks for putting us straight on the matter of the NDA and Highland Council. The question is still WHY. The Highland Council were the ones behind the CHaP fiasco and that cost Millions and we have them cutting services and jobs all over the place. Now we find them handing over land to the NDA for FREE. Now on the other side of the coin we have local housing associations struggling to pay the going rate of Council land to house local folk. The hundreds of thousands of pounds they are asked to pay for this land means there is less to spend on homes , as they say " charity begins at home" so lets see the council give back some of the land that we taxpayers have paid for and lets see the Highland Council hand over some land in Thurso to a local RSL.