PDA

View Full Version : tarmac

patsy1
15-Sep-11, 16:01
does anyone know who does tarmac need drive & forecourt done, please

joxville
15-Sep-11, 18:15
It's not tarmac, the word these days is asphalt; I make it but can't quote you a price, it would be too high and the asphalt would be cold travelling from Hampshire. :D

Check the Yellow Pages or Yell.com for asphalt contractors, they'll visit you and give a quote for the job. It's not just a case of spreading it around, it needs a decent base and depending on your landscape, ie if the drive slopes towards the house, you may need a drain asphalt which will be dearer. If it's just a drive in/reverse out area you'll just need a 10mm (the stone size) wearing course laid about 30mm thick. If the surface will have vehicles turning on it then a harder wearing course will be needed but it will be more expensive. You can also have the asphalt coloured, it will probably be an extra £20 per ton.

A reputable contractor is worth paying the extra for, if the asphalt starts to break or rut within months of being laid then you can get them to fix it free of charge. The aspahalt should meet BS EN ISO 9001:2008 so ask the contractor if the manufacturing plant meets that criteria. Another important factor is where it's travelled from. I'm assuming you live in Caithness so I'd advise not to accept anything made further south than Inverness. The hotter the asphalt is the better it compacts, ideally it should be in the range of 150-190 degrees, allow for the lower end if it has travelled a substantial distance. I'll hazard a guess that the contractor won't be using a mini-paver, instead it'll be hand spread and rolled with a mini-roller, so the temp. of the material becomes even more crucial.

I won't tell you what you can expect to pay per ton because you'll then feel you could be paying over the top if I'm too low, or feel you could be getting a cowboy if I say too high a price.

chordie
15-Sep-11, 18:43
It's not tarmac, the word these days is asphalt;

Are you suggesting that the OP is therefore asking where can she get her asphalt ?

Boom, tish.

Corrie 3
15-Sep-11, 18:51
Just wait for the Travellers coming round again in the white van, I am sure they would love to do the job for you!!!

C3..............:roll:;)

joxville
15-Sep-11, 19:09
Are you suggesting that the OP is therefore asking where can she get her asphalt ?

Boom, tish.
In that case I'm the man for the job :Razz

joxville
15-Sep-11, 19:28
Just wait for the Travellers coming round again in the white van, I am sure they would love to do the job for you!!!

Be wary of those people too, we sell asphalt to 'travellers' but have no control over how they use it. However we won't sell them coated grit, sometimes called bit-grit, which is mainly used as a temporary surface during large road builds, that is what the cowboys use to do cheap jobs. As a rule of thumb, asphalt usually has a *shine to it and has stone in it, coated grit is flat coloured and is just as the name implies.

*Coloured asphalt loses some of the shine due to coloured fibres added during production.

orkneycadian
15-Sep-11, 19:37
Damn - Now I know why my mobile "Temporary surfacing during large road builds" business has not been doing too well lately.....

gleeber
15-Sep-11, 20:50
Holt's on Thurso 892004. First class job.

gillsbay
15-Sep-11, 20:51
Holt's at Scrabster do these sort of jobs, also Gunn's, Lybster who have the local plant at Bower which produces the product. I am a sure there will be others too.

Bazeye
15-Sep-11, 21:02

Try ringing Dale Farm.

Bazeye
16-Sep-11, 12:26
Oops, forgot. Those travellers dont do travelling do they.

Corrie 3
16-Sep-11, 13:01
Oops, forgot. Those travellers dont do travelling do they.
They will be doing in the next few days!!!!

C3...............:roll:;)

aidipi
16-Sep-11, 19:46
Got tarmac on my drive in May by Gunn's of Lybster. Very happy with result

Bazeye
16-Sep-11, 20:17
They will be doing in the next few days!!!!

C3...............:roll:;)

Heard theyre pitching up on the dammies. :eek: