PDA

View Full Version : Phone Scam????

thirsaloon
25-Aug-11, 10:47
Word of warning folks, ignore a phone call which has an English spoken girl saying “hello, hello, can you hear me and then the line goes dead – when you call back it goes to an answering machine with a guy saying “thanks for your call, we will get back to you as soon as possible – I’m presuming it likely charges a fair bit per minute. We have had it yesterday and today – each time I have done 1471 it gives a different mobile phone number.

Beat Bug
25-Aug-11, 14:33
If the line goes dead after we answer the phone, we don't try to ring back. If it's important, they'll ring back! We don't even bother doing 1471.

cherokee
25-Aug-11, 14:46
Really appreciate the warning thirsaloon ! Thank you

poppett
25-Aug-11, 18:08
I had a call to my mobile yesterday from America trying to get me to go online and click on something on their website, which I already knew was a scam as they had got money three months ago from my credit card for services which don`t exist. The credit card company knew it was fraud and changed my card number so they couldn`t re-charge the payment once they had the so called fee taken from them. Trouble is it costs to receive calls from the USA, so needless to say the call was very short and sweet and the fraud team made aware right away.

orkneycadian
26-Aug-11, 19:33
What kind of mobile do you have that costs to accept calls from the USA?

oldmarine
27-Aug-11, 23:54
Looks like some good advice on this subject to stay clear of the enticement.

orkneycadian
28-Aug-11, 11:38
Lots of enticements out there! Just surprised at how many folk can fall for them! Like Beat Bug, I would never dial 1471 and call back a failed call - If its important, then they will call again! Same with all the spam mails in email, and texts. If I need to know about their service, then I can easily find out about it as and when I want to!

Torvaig
28-Aug-11, 13:01
Word of warning folks, ignore a phone call which has an English spoken girl saying “hello, hello, can you hear me and then the line goes dead – when you call back it goes to an answering machine with a guy saying “thanks for your call, we will get back to you as soon as possible – I’m presuming it likely charges a fair bit per minute. We have had it yesterday and today – each time I have done 1471 it gives a different mobile phone number.

At least your caller speaks English! I have had seven unavailable calls over the weekend where I can't understand what is being said; same person I think. And he has the nerve to get annoyed with me for not knowing what he is saying!

I left the receiver off the hook for twenty minutes the last time he called but maybe I am paying for the call! Call shows up on the screen as unavailable but luckily most of my friends have my mobile number as well.

P.S. I wonder if I have won the Lottery in India; can't remember if I bought a ticket the last time I was there!

katarina
30-Aug-11, 11:33
I keep getting calls that come up as 'withheld' and no one answers. It's annoying especially as it's sometimes late at night and I have to get up and answer the phone