PDA

View Full Version : What Fruit Trees to plant?

Beat Bug
03-Aug-11, 17:33
I'm hoping to plant some eating, cooking and crab apples, as well as perhaps pears and plums. Does anyone else grow any of these? And how successful are they? I've already got gooseberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants, as well as my rhubarb, but I'd love to have some fruit trees. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Humerous Vegetable
04-Aug-11, 11:00
I have 4 stepover apple trees up here near Thurso, which I planted behind some screening to give protection from the wind. Even so, we lost a lot of the blossom before it was even pollinated this year with the bad gale in May. We usually get a reasonable amount of fruit, considering the conditions. I also have a plum tree which I planted about 6 years ago, which has never flowered, although it is now about 9-10 feet high. I doubt you would get away with planting pears, they like a much kinder environment.

annemarie482
04-Aug-11, 11:23
i have planted apple and cherry trees this year, so will awaiting what happens in the coming years.

my in laws have a plum tree they get fruit off and elderflower for making wine etc.

Beat Bug
04-Aug-11, 13:26
Thank you both for your replies. Hopefully the area I want to do my planting will be cleared of all rubble, weeds and excess soil ready to plant at the right time.

essex boy
04-Aug-11, 19:41
Got about ten apple trees in a very sheltered garden but the apples have never got larger than golf ball size. Also got four pears and never had one fruit stay on the trees for more than a month or two. Three plum trees and this is the first year any fruit have set, so I wait to see what happens!