PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly pubs!

Phill
18-Jul-11, 16:26
Does there be any kid friendly pubs in this part of the world with a play area for the little kiddy winkles???

(with food n stuff too!)

annemarie482
18-Jul-11, 17:37
not much here im afraid.

the central in thurso (if its open?!) had a bouncy castle to entertain wee ones.
and wetherspoons wick have a menu they can colour in to pass the time. :roll:
the portland arms lybster have a box of toys for young kids to play with (under 5's really)
but thats all i've come across so far.

linnie612
18-Jul-11, 17:54
Think I saw something in the 'Groat recently, about a kids play area available on Saturdays in the Holburn, Thurso, but not sure

amybeth
18-Jul-11, 17:56
the Holburn has a play area and during the holidays a bouncy castle on a wednesday and saturday, good food too

Corrie 3
18-Jul-11, 19:11
Yes, please list them so I can give them a wide berth.
There is nothing worse than a screaming Kid to put you off your pint or your Sunday dinner in a pub.
I also believe that they are held responsible for the smoking ban in pubs......has a working Man no sanctuary these days????

C3......:roll::roll:;)

golach
18-Jul-11, 19:18
Kid friendy pubs!!!!!!!! They should be banned, who in their right mind would take a bairn in to a pub? Squalling screeching bairns, disturbing me as I peruse my Racing times. Ban the Brats.....and their bairns [disgust]

I dont go to kids playgrounds, why should they come to my pub.

Fran
18-Jul-11, 21:13
The Norseman in wick

sjr014
19-Jul-11, 19:50
Castletown Hotel!

starfish
19-Jul-11, 19:53
The Norseman in wick we went to the norseman in wick with the kids was made to feel un welcome after we had spent our money

linnie612
19-Jul-11, 21:37
we went to the norseman in wick with the kids was made to feel un welcome after we had spent our money

How were you made to feel unwelcome?

Bobbin
19-Jul-11, 23:00
Yes, please list them so I can give them a wide berth.
There is nothing worse than a screaming Kid to put you off your pint or your Sunday dinner in a pub.
I also believe that they are held responsible for the smoking ban in pubs......has a working Man no sanctuary these days????

C3......

Kid friendy pubs!!!!!!!! They should be banned, who in their right mind would take a bairn in to a pub? Squalling screeching bairns, disturbing me as I peruse my Racing times. Ban the Brats.....and their bairns [disgust]

I dont go to kids playgrounds, why should they come to my pub.Totally agree, why dont people teach their kids that going out for a meal is just that, a meal and not an oppertunity to run around annoying everyone else. Who on earth would want to feed their kids up and then put them on a bouncy castle? People with children seem to think everything should revolve around them. Whatever happened to the day when children were seen and not heard?

Moira
19-Jul-11, 23:51
Is there not some common ground here? Wetherspoons have a Family Friendly Area. If you have a dog you're not welcome inside the premises.

Good luck Phill.....

golach
20-Jul-11, 00:00
Is there not some common ground here? Wetherspoons have a Family Friendly Area. If you have a dog you're not welcome inside the premises.

Good luck Phill.....

Now dowgs in pubs Moira thats a different scene all together, Dowgs are better behaved, my local is dowg friendly, but bans children thats why I go there.

linnie612
20-Jul-11, 00:35
Maybe leave the dogs at home.. and the kids..;)

RIR
20-Jul-11, 00:44
Maybe leave the dogs at home..

Definitely not. :(

and the kids.. ;)

Yep. :D

Ian.

sandyr1
20-Jul-11, 03:09
Maybe leave the dogs at home.. and the kids..;)

I concur/ why introduce Children to Pubs? I read the UK News and it the drinking situation isn't too good is it! ASBO isn't it?

I am sure that I shall get a reply on this............

Droopy
20-Jul-11, 08:50
Does there be any kid friendly pubs in this part of the world with a play area for the little kiddy winkles???(with food n stuff too!)

As a parent myself, l can appreciate the fact that its nice as a family to go out for a meal together. But what l dont expect is for the place l visit to provide me with a nursery service for my kids while lm there. Pubs are pubs, and for kids wellbeing are adult domains. In my opinion society has presurrised them into becoming creche facilities for young mums to go there with their young mum friends and drink alcopops while updating thier facebook pages. Meanwhile young Courtney or Brandon are running wild and have become upset because the other has puked up thier processed pizza (cause they dont lek anyhin else!) over them.

Surly by having children, some sacrafices have to be made, and going to the pub all afternoon is one of them. Table manners and how to respect others is still important and the earlier kids are taught these, the better it will be for them in their future lives. I cant help but feel that a certain element of people would rather complain about how 'theres not much for the kids to do while l get drunk' rather than have a meal, (with a glass of wine or a pint even!) and then go to the park with an ice cream, which lm sure the kids enjoy more anyway.

squidge
20-Jul-11, 10:03
There are enough pubs to meet the needs of families wanting a meal and curmudgeonly old men wanting to pick their winners. Play areas for wee ones are a good help if as a mum you want to meet other mums for lunch and a chat. Pubs sell coffee and soft drinks too. Most parents in pubs are not their to get drunk and the suggestion that they are all getting drunk is a bit off. And then there are pubs and pubs aren't there? Some you could take your wee ones in and others you would not dream of doing so because they don't cater for that Market.If Caithness wants to attract visitors then it needs to cater for the family Market at mealtimes. Most Parents with children don't feel that everything should revolve around them ... There is no demand here that EVERY pub should cater for families just a request to find places that do. I like to do the playarea lunch on occasions with my wee ones but then I also like to do meals in just restaurants ... It depends what's happening and who in with. It's nice to have a choice.

golach
20-Jul-11, 10:23
There are enough pubs to meet the needs of families wanting a meal and curmudgeonly old men wanting to pick their winners. Play areas for wee ones are a good help if as a mum you want to meet other mums for lunch and a chat. Pubs sell coffee and soft drinks too. Most parents in pubs are not their to get drunk and the suggestion that they are all getting drunk is a bit off. And then there are pubs and pubs aren't there?.

Oh Squidge, I love that term "curmudgeonly" I will add that to my CV. I noticed you ranted on about mothers needing lunch and a chat, mothers should not have time to lunch and chat, there are meals to buy and cook and ironing and washing to do for their husbands and children, there are plenty non alcohol establishments if there is a real need to "lunch".
And Squidge, I notice you never mentioned Dowgs, are they a lower class than brats? :)

squidge
20-Jul-11, 10:51
You know it's meant with affection Golach. And Of course we have time to lunch on occasion. As a stay at home mum we work very very hard doing all the stuff you so eloquently pointed out for my husband and bairns. I guess i should count myself lucky that my husband allows me time for a bit of lunch with my friends on occasions and he even allows me to go without him!!!! I am SO lucky lol!!!! As for dowgs well, I have a dog but I never feel the need to take my dowg out for lunch, my husband, babies, big boys, and friends are enough company
for me.

Phill
21-Jul-11, 23:48
Oh dear, simple questions hey!

Kid friendy pubs!!!!!!!! They should be banned, who in their right mind would take a bairn in to a pub? Squalling screeching bairns, disturbing me as I peruse my Racing times. Ban the Brats.....and their bairnsThe Racing Times! I divnea know that one, surely you mean the Racing Post! (obviously the kids are distracting you far too much)

Totally agree, why dont people teach their kids that going out for a meal is just that, a meal and not an oppertunity to run around annoying everyone else. Who on earth would want to feed their kids up and then put them on a bouncy castle? People with children seem to think everything should revolve around them. Whatever happened to the day when children were seen and not heard?Ooops, I thought feeding kids a mix of pop, ice cream and sweets before throwing them on a bouncy castle was a sport!

I concur/ why introduce Children to Pubs? I read the UK News and it the drinking situation isn't too good is it! ASBO isn't it?With the amount of pubs closing I thought it would be a rather good to start the kids off early to keep the publicans off the dole!

As a parent myself, l can appreciate the fact that its nice as a family to go out for a meal together. But what l dont expect is for the place l visit to provide me with a nursery service for my kids while lm there. Pubs are pubs, and for kids wellbeing are adult domains. In my opinion society has presurrised them into becoming creche facilities for young mums to go there with their young mum friends and drink alcopops while updating thier facebook pages. Meanwhile young Courtney or Brandon are running wild and have become upset because the other has puked up thier processed pizza (cause they dont lek anyhin else!) over them.

Surly by having children, some sacrafices have to be made, and going to the pub all afternoon is one of them. Table manners and how to respect others is still important and the earlier kids are taught these, the better it will be for them in their future lives. I cant help but feel that a certain element of people would rather complain about how 'theres not much for the kids to do while l get drunk' rather than have a meal, (with a glass of wine or a pint even!) and then go to the park with an ice cream, which lm sure the kids enjoy more anyway.

I do believe I asked about kid friendly pubs, not a nursery. What I do expect though is for Tesco's delivery service to drop me off a couple of cases o'Stella and take me kids out fer a while, mebbe they could have 'em stacking shelves fer a bitty while I get bladdered.

By having children, by choice I may add, we did make sacrifices. Many sacrifices. Additionally we kind of think now and again it would be good to go out as a family and enjoy a meal together. (stupid idea I know)

So, normally we keep our children out of sight, mind and (thanks to recent improvements in acoustic insulation) out of earshot under the stairs. Being fairly decent human beings we allow them a couple of days out per year, this year it turns out to be the occasion of our daughters 5th birthday. This has occurred at the same time as my father's "good behaviour" week release from the institution so we, rather selfishly and without consideration for anyone else, thought it would be good to have a family meal out somewhere.

We gave though to avoiding kid friendly pubs and possibly taking the kiddy winkles to a fine restaurant one evening. To do this we would have to keep them awake beyond their normal bedtime so we would have to feed them mostly sugar products in the later part of the day to keep them awake and their energy levels up into the evening, however we do normally try to keep them on a reasonably balanced diet without much refined sugar from sweets so the result would be two young children completely 'off their tits'.
Additionally this would very rapidly play on my patience, and that of my father (the knock on effect of my father being agitated would send my mother over the edge and she'd resort to snorting Bailey's again). And, what I do know is very few fine restaurant's have bouncy castles, so we would have 2 very bored children on a sugar high in a restaurant without a bouncy castle trying to be taught table manners by (my now highly agitated) Father and (Bailey'd up) Mother. This is not a recipe for success as by this time I would be turning to alcopops (and I don't do alcopops), wifey (being a bit more forethourted (yep, new word alert)) would have started on the alcopops way before feeding the kids full of the sugar they needed to get through the evenings fine dining and would most probably be asleep under the table.

The end result, taking into account the needs of the readers of the Racing Post and the 'puked processed pizza' risk assessment and method statement, we took out our Charlene & Scott with their Grandparents for an alcohol free meal in the Weigh Inn. (they have a small outdoor play area)

I regret to say their table manners fell short but I am in the process of rectifying this with electric shock therapy, the kids however behaved rather well and subject to judicial review may see their (possibly lobotomised) grandparents before the end of the decade.

Oh, and I did update my Facebook during the course of the meal. I find it an easier way of communicating with wifey seeing as the conversations are documented (my legal council considers this good practice).