PDA

View Full Version : Doing your bit

bagpuss
17-Jul-11, 00:01
If you as an individual could give up one thing and send the Chancellor the money to put towards destroying the deficit, what would that sacrifice be?

would you be willing to pay more tax for example?

I mentioned a possible 50% rate of VAT- nowthink- that's not income tax- its a tax that everyone who buys anything would have to pay. Is it fair that a pensioner on a limited income should be paying that - while a high earner who will hardly notice it gets away with tax avoidance- no not tax evasion- avoidance is not a criminal act.

Some of the orgers get a bit carried away with party politics, but we do have a cabinet full of wealthy dilettantes who can't imagine what a poor person ie anyone on a low income (not benefits) has to forfeit to ensure they can put food in mouths and keep a roof over their heads.

The squeezed middle are facing an old age that will be much less attractive than the recently retired enjoy now. Working until over 70; higher contributions for a pension they possibly won't ever get to take, and cuts to the NHS.

I'm not poor- but my stingy husband gives me a strict budget- a loaded travel card- and that's all the money I get for his bills (and from my own small earnings I often have to meet the shortfall)- and I'm aware that for example the cost of breakfast cereal has gone up by 25% over 3 months. I've given up brand names. (but I don't tell him for example he's eating tesco Value bread instead of Kingsmill

ducati
17-Jul-11, 00:12
If you as an individual could give up one thing and send the Chancellor the money to put towards destroying the deficit, what would that sacrifice be?

would you be willing to pay more tax for example?

I mentioned a possible 50% rate of VAT- nowthink- that's not income tax- its a tax that everyone who buys anything would have to pay. Is it fair that a pensioner on a limited income should be paying that - while a high earner who will hardly notice it gets away with tax avoidance- no not tax evasion- avoidance is not a criminal act.

Some of the orgers get a bit carried away with party politics, but we do have a cabinet full of wealthy dilettantes who can't imagine what a poor person ie anyone on a low income (not benefits) has to forfeit to ensure they can put food in mouths and keep a roof over their heads.

The squeezed middle are facing an old age that will be much less attractive than the recently retired enjoy now. Working until over 70; higher contributions for a pension they possibly won't ever get to take, and cuts to the NHS.

I'm not poor- but my stingy husband gives me a strict budget- a loaded travel card- and that's all the money I get for his bills (and from my own small earnings I often have to meet the shortfall)- and I'm aware that for example the cost of breakfast cereal has gone up by 25% over 3 months. I've given up brand names. (but I don't tell him for example he's eating tesco Value bread instead of Kingsmill

I've had to cut the weekly Champagne deliveries to 3 cases. So we now have a strict rashion of 3 bottles a day. (Although when we run out I do nip out to Tescos for more). I don't fill up the Roller quite so often and we've had to reschedule some of therealducati's cosmetic surgery in to the next fiscal year. :(

bagpuss
17-Jul-11, 00:23
Ironic huh?

Okay- now think this one through
you're in a job that nolonger looks as secure as it did last year. The wife has just told you she's pregnant again, and that she is also facing having her part time job's hours cut once she goes back to work after maternity leave. You've got a mortgage that you can just about afford while interest rates are low- but they might well be going up soon.

Your boss however has just taken a bonus of over 6 figures.

The government however have decided to cut family allowance, increase VAT on the things you have to buy and allof a sudden the life that you thought was okay becomes difficult.

The filthy rich won't be shedding any tears or losing sleep- as you so rightly say, they might cut back onthe champers and Botox- but their bank accounts won't suffer.

Now rewind to 1979- all those tax cuts- which drained the treasury dry

Who was right?

ducati
17-Jul-11, 07:45
Ironic huh?

Okay- now think this one through
you're in a job that nolonger looks as secure as it did last year. The wife has just told you she's pregnant again, and that she is also facing having her part time job's hours cut once she goes back to work after maternity leave. You've got a mortgage that you can just about afford while interest rates are low- but they might well be going up soon.

Your boss however has just taken a bonus of over 6 figures.

The government however have decided to cut family allowance, increase VAT on the things you have to buy and allof a sudden the life that you thought was okay becomes difficult.

The filthy rich won't be shedding any tears or losing sleep- as you so rightly say, they might cut back onthe champers and Botox- but their bank accounts won't suffer.

Now rewind to 1979- all those tax cuts- which drained the treasury dry

Who was right?

S'alright. I've found a solution. I've fired the gardener (and thrown him out of his cottage) and contracted an enterprising Polish university graduate who will work for £2 an hour.

Renting the Gardeners cottage as a summer let for £750 a week.

Corrie 3
17-Jul-11, 09:11
What would I give up and pass over to the Chancellor?????

Why, my credit card payments of course......over to you George!!!!!

C3........:roll::roll:;)