PDA

View Full Version : Riverside Road Thurso Speed Humps

s_watten
07-Jul-11, 22:56
Riverside is a closed road for me now, not such a bad thing as it makes you park the car in town and walk.

BUT

Planning permission none, Local support questionable.

PS: Who paid for the humps ?

Metalattakk
07-Jul-11, 23:44
You can drive over the speed humps you know. I've even seen cars do so, in front of my very eyes.

The road is closed to no-one.

gollach
07-Jul-11, 23:55
I didn't realise community councillors were allowed to live at the end of roads. Thanks for the heads up. :lol:

Blazing Sporrans
08-Jul-11, 01:23
And I think those living in the lower part of Springpark get a bit of peace from the boy racers who ran riot at Riverside seven nights a week... And don't start blaming the police, I walk my dog along there regularly and used to see the police cars drive by there and the minute they were gone, the little darlings in cars that mummy and daddy probably paid for would start right on cue. Do any local councillors live at the swimming pool s_watten? Can you give us the scoop on that one?

Blazing Sporrans
08-Jul-11, 01:25
Plus Castle Terrace has the brick built sleeping policemen..... I'd say the plastic bolt-down ones on Riverside are undoubtedly the cheaper option!

rogermellie
08-Jul-11, 01:32
it's only moved the problem on to other roads in town where daft wee lassies will go ga ga at some pube going 45mph along a 20 metre stretch.

castlegreen road should be next to get the hump, move the problem on to burnside/scrabster where they'll all be squished in a corsaccordian

Gronnuck
08-Jul-11, 09:49
The use of speed bumps is a good excuse for the police to do nothing and have the problem move elsewhere. There is already a raft of legislation to deal with drivers who break the law if only the police and the judiciary made the effort.
The residents of the sheltered housing complex at Tom Mathison Court have swopped the noise of the 'boy racers' in the evening for the clatter of heavy trucks running over these speed bumps all day. The other day I saw a truck loaded with scaffolding making a hell of a din and it was only doing about 20 mph! God help anyone who needs an ambulance.

Kells
08-Jul-11, 11:53
" if only the police and the judiciary made the effort."

It would make more sense for the drivers to make the effort to stop speeding.

Blazing Sporrans
08-Jul-11, 15:04
" if only the police and the judiciary made the effort."It would make more sense for the drivers to make the effort to stop speeding. Exactly my point. When walking the dog, I have seen the Police there plenty times but the minute they were gone, these mindless and selfish little brats resumed their anti-social behaviour. What can be done about that except installing deterrents? Why should the small minority be allowed to thumb their noses at the rest of us? If only the Police made the effort indeed, what an ignorant and mindless response that is, displaying little or no knowledge of this issue. I'd love to know what fantastic ideas you have to combat this menace in other ways? Next on your agenda will be world peace I suppose? And by the way, since these speed bumps went in, both my dog and I feel a lot safer walking there now.

mi16
08-Jul-11, 17:12
If they have a valid drivers licence, Mot, road tax and insurance they are entitled to drive on the public roard whenever or wherever they like, end of.
If they are speeding or driving recklessly then its up to the police to sort it out

Kells
08-Jul-11, 17:55
If they have a valid drivers licence, Mot, road tax and insurance they are entitled to drive on the public roard whenever or wherever they like, end of.
If they are speeding or driving recklessly then its up to the police to sort it out

They are well sorted out with speed bumps, end of.

s_watten
29-Jul-11, 23:22
@Blazing Sporrans

Blazing or not do you keep your dog on a muzzle I supect not, I have lost 1 cat to a none muzzeld dog, do you keep it on a leash at all times in puplic ?

Dogs scare people ?

The question is why on a road that nobody lives on for half it's lenght is there speed bumps ? Who paid for them ?

Metalattakk
30-Jul-11, 00:56
The question is why on a road that nobody lives on for half it's lenght is there speed bumps ? Who paid for them ?

The speed bumps are there to stop the anti-social behaviour of the testosterone-fuelled boy-racer idiots that used to continually use that piece of road as a personal, private race track.

If they've forced you to stop using that piece of road, then I would suggest the initiative has been an unmitigated, resounding success.

Leanne
30-Jul-11, 02:00
@Blazing Sporrans

Blazing or not do you keep your dog on a muzzle I supect not, I have lost 1 cat to a none muzzeld dog, do you keep it on a leash at all times in puplic ?

How is this relevant? Dogs do not have to be muzzled by law (unless a 'dangerous' breed) - it is however illegal to speed... Speed humps stop the speeding - result :)

As a cat owner we have to accept that they stray and may get into scrapes :(

rogermellie
30-Jul-11, 02:36
and as a garden owner, my neighbour's cat needs it's arse muzzled as they are too lazy to use a litter tray, or would this be illegal in the western world ?
the next scrape my neighbour's cat gets into will be their shovel as they take it's remains home

is this thread drift or what ?!

theone
30-Jul-11, 02:52
How is this relevant? Dogs do not have to be muzzled by law (unless a 'dangerous' breed) - it is however illegal to speed... Speed humps stop the speeding - result :)

As a cat owner we have to accept that they stray and may get into scrapes :(

Is it not a legal requirement for a dog owner to keep that dog under control?

If a dog can maul an animal, or person, due to lack of muzzle or leash, that is then surely illegal.

The amount of irresponsible dog owner who think it's acceptable to have dogs off the lead in public places is, in my opinion, as much of a problem as the boy racers taking the swimming pool corner too fast.

ducati
30-Jul-11, 07:51
Now if we could only combine the effects of, say, speed bumps, with, I dunno, dog muzzles, we would really be getting value for our council tax. :eek:

Walter Ego
30-Jul-11, 08:01
Dog bumps?

Walter Ego
30-Jul-11, 08:02
And maybe speed muzzles?

pentlandlad
30-Jul-11, 08:38
Just curious, but can not remember seeing warning signs saying approaching speed bumps?

northener
30-Jul-11, 09:19
Just curious, but can not remember seeing warning signs saying approaching speed bumps?

But should there be any need for any?

If someone is travelling so fast that they cannot slow down sufficiently for a speed bump, then they're travelling too fast anyway. They're not difficult to spot.