PDA

View Full Version : New gardener!

linnie612
03-Jul-11, 12:50
Hi, I have an old brazier that I thought I could use to plant flowers. Not having done much gardening (apart from mowing and pulling weeds), I am unsure of the best way to proceed. What sort of compost should I use and what would be the best type of flowers to plant etc? I know I am practically asking someone to plant the thing for me, but I'm sure I'll learn things with practice!! Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks:)

Kenn
05-Jul-11, 10:42
Make sure you have plenty of stones or crocks in the bottom for drainage or make a couple of holes in the bottom, use a good multi purpose compost , the best you can afford. (John Innes or similar.)
Decide whether you want to plant for summer or all year and then choose what you are going to put in it.
Put in an area where it is not in full sun all day and water regularly.
Liquid feed about once a month during summer or use the feed sticks that are available and just placed in the soil releasing nutrients at a steady rate.

linnie612
05-Jul-11, 11:22
Thanks Lizz:)

porshiepoo
05-Jul-11, 13:38
Pretty much what Liz said. lol.
As for plants, Fuchsia do fabulous in containers and their flowers are gorgeous and there's a newish Buddleia called Buzz that is a miniature version and mine are doing great in pots. Depends on what time of year you want plants really, there's simply so much to choose from.
If you want all year round flowers then pop to the garden centre (such as they are here) and get annuals, that way you can re-pot it at the end of the year with winter flowering plants and then start with the annuals again next year (if that makes sense). Plus save your seeds so that you don't have so much expense next time round.

Also, get into composting everything and you'll have enough compost winter time or next year to not have to buy in again.

TBH I've only just gotten into the feeding lark. I've tried loads of stuff in the past and never really noticed a difference so always ended up stopping. Have to say though Flower Power from QVC or Ideal world (can't remember which) is brilliant stuff.

plantman
05-Jul-11, 17:08
Westleaplants at lybster have Buddleia Buzz at £4.50 and a wide range of perennials to suit most of the conditions Cathness can offer. Give us a call or visit. 01593 721499