PDA

View Full Version : John o' groats hotel

rockyrider
28-Jun-11, 12:38
Anyone know why the John o' groats hotel has gone red and white.????

Duncansby
28-Jun-11, 12:52
probably something to do with the Art's weekend thing:

http://www.hie.co.uk/about-hie/news-and-media/archive/iconic-john-o-groats-landmark-set-for-transformation.html

rockyrider
28-Jun-11, 13:15
Thanks,that explains it.

Flyermonkey
28-Jun-11, 14:22
http://www.facebook.com/JohnOGroatsTransformation

Interesting!

Gronnuck
28-Jun-11, 15:48
Call me a cynic - but more than half the buildings are empty and the place has nothing to make people want to spend time (and money) there. I'd love to see the place change but touristy Groats has nothing to commend it. :confused

Walter Ego
28-Jun-11, 17:26
Call me a cynic - but more than half the buildings are empty and the place has nothing to make people want to spend time (and money) there. I'd love to see the place change but touristy Groats has nothing to commend it. :confused

The painting is to publicise the forthcomeing redevelopment, IIRC, Gronnuck. I hope it goes ahead OK.

ducati
28-Jun-11, 18:54
Phill probably painted it, you want to see what he wants to do to the Wick Coastal Rowing Club HQ building! Don't nobody let him near the dome :eek:

John Little
28-Jun-11, 19:05
Why not? He couldn't do any worse with it than the current mob.

Gronnuck
28-Jun-11, 21:11
The painting is to publicise the forthcomeing redevelopment, IIRC, Gronnuck. I hope it goes ahead OK.

What is different about the proposed new development? Which part of it is being created to keep visitors on site and spending money? Lots of money thrown around on new architecture and landscaping does not a tourist attraction/retail park make!
The last development didn't succeed why should the next?

Duncansby
28-Jun-11, 21:46
John O'Groats is the tourist attraction - you don't need to build one! I hope that these chalets do get more people staying in Caithness for longer periods of time, using John O'Groats as a base and spending their money throughout the county.

The last re-development didn't even start so it couldn't really be said not to have succeeded.

theone
28-Jun-11, 23:31
I'll repeat what I've said before.

I think they're trying to run before the can walk....

I hope John o Groats gets its improvement and is successful, but I also fear that it is doomed.

I've taken dozens of friends a tour around Caithness when they've been visiting, and JoG's is always one of the stops.

But the thing is, there's really not much to do there. A few gift shops, selling the same tat that you'll get at Scone, Loch Ness and the royal mile, some interesting craft shops. But that's it.

What is the "attraction"? What's the draw? For me it's the whole "end of Britain" thing, JoG's to Lands end. It's nice to say you've been there and got the photo, but that, for me and the visitors I have taken there, is it. It's rare that we stay more than an hour or two.

I can't imagine for the life of me why you would need such a large hotel development there. I just can't see that many people wanting to stay there for any length of time.

I personally think the money would be better spent building attractions for the area, not more accomodation for those who may or may not come.

Gronnuck
29-Jun-11, 00:22
John O'Groats is the tourist attraction - you don't need to build one! I hope that these chalets do get more people staying in Caithness for longer periods of time, using John O'Groats as a base and spending their money throughout the county.

The last re-development didn't even start so it couldn't really be said not to have succeeded.

Are you serious? If JOG is the attraction why do the majority of people stay less than 45 minutes? It's only claim to fame last year was that it was awarded The Carbuncle of the year and there was no one to accept it! The refurbished hotel building is to become self catering accommodation and later there will be chalets - but Caithness already has plenty of good quality accommodation. What is planned for JOG to make visitors choose to stay there?
JOG needs something else - something to hold people's interest - something to keep people there and relieve them of their money. I don't see anything in the development proposals that will do this.
All I see is HIE throwing tax revenue at a project to create some short term employment. I fear five years from now JOG will be the same as it is now, a refurbished car park surrounded by a collection of newer empty buildings. :~(:confused

northener
29-Jun-11, 06:41
Same old, same old.

"Something needs to be done".

I've been hearing that for years, unfortunately those who are the most vocal when it comes to this never actually come up with something viable that will attract backing.

JOG (and the Far North in general) only has a short season, simply chucking a large lump of cash at some 'attraction' (what, exactly?) will not hold people here. The infrastructure must be in place to give some staying customer base in the area, many people will not use 'B&B's - and the Seaview/Caber can only take so many. There is no facility for self catering apart from the campsite, nor are there any chalets. So this will add to the customer base in the area.

Plus, many of JOG's detractors have stated that the Hotel is an eyesore and that this should be the first thing that is tackled - I agree. But now something is being done....people are pulling their face at what is being done.

Everyone is good at spending someone else's money when it comes to things like this, I wonder how many would actually put their money where their mouth is and invest in any project?

I think I can guess the answer to that one............

Regarding the 'Carbuncle' award - nothing more than a irrelevance awarded by pointless nobodies - just look at the lists they come up with for 'candidates'.

Duncansby
29-Jun-11, 09:59
Are you serious?

Of course I'm being serious, I wouldn't have said it otherwise! John O'Groats is the attraction, people visit because they want to have done the End to End thing! Besides this there is fantastic coastal scenery: a sandy beach, the opportunity to see an internationally important breeding seabird colony, breathtaking (and nationally important) geology. We need to capitalise on what we have, not create some 'attraction'. There are plenty of businesses in Caithness which will benefit from the people staying in the county for longer periods of time. Time will tell whether the chalets will be successful but I for one hope they are.

Also quite how a rural village can win an award for the worst urban architecture is beyond me!

northener
30-Jun-11, 09:49
Of course I'm being serious, I wouldn't have said it otherwise! John O'Groats is the attraction, people visit because they want to have done the End to End thing! Besides this there is fantastic coastal scenery: a sandy beach, the opportunity to see an internationally important breeding seabird colony, breathtaking (and nationally important) geology. We need to capitalise on what we have, not create some 'attraction'. There are plenty of businesses in Caithness which will benefit from the people staying in the county for longer periods of time. Time will tell whether the chalets will be successful but I for one hope they are.

Also quite how a rural village can win an award for the worst urban architecture is beyond me!

When I was crewing on North Coast Explorer (the wildlife trip RIB) at Groats harbour I found that when vox popping* people they fell into two distinct camps.

Group one would get off the coach or out of the car and after five minutes begin wailing that "there's nothing here" and lament the lack of kiddie rides/Pizza Hut and bingo halls. Buy a card off Walter or Karen and then slope off somewhere else.

Group two would always say how much they preferred JOG to the overdevelopment down at LE as it was more 'unspoilt' and they felt that JOG should not be developed as a mini Blackpool (for want of a better analogy). The opinion seemed to be that the area should promote it's natural attractions and not attempt to be a 'seaside resort'.

I'm definitely in the latter camp. Provide an attractive environment and infrastructure in the first place and it will grow, just chuck in a few short lived 'attractions' and we'll definitely be on a hiding to nothing.

(*MPH word;))