PDA

View Full Version : Bank shares giveaway

weezer 316
23-Jun-11, 12:33
I see they are thinking about giving every tax payer around £800 of shares purchased during the bail out, with the individual keeping anything sold past a break even price.

Superb idea if you ask me, although this does make me a hypocrite seeing as I didnt back the bailout in the first place

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13884271

ducati
23-Jun-11, 12:37
I see they are thinking about giving every tax payer around £800 of shares purchased during the bail out, with the individual keeping anything sold past a break even price.

Superb idea if you ask me, although this does make me a hypocrite seeing as I didnt back the bailout in the first place

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13884271

Yes you did, with your cash!

weezer 316
23-Jun-11, 12:44
Yeah but I mean I didnt back the idea of the bailout. Seems to set a precident where a class of large companies are unable to fail. Plus I dont like the idea of a government acting as one big risk insurance fund almost

charlie
23-Jun-11, 14:35
"Under the plan, the 45 million people on the electoral roll would be given free shares in the bailed-out banks ."

Yes that probably does include every taxpayer.....but it will also include a lot who contributed virtually nothing in taxation.

NickInTheNorth
23-Jun-11, 14:59
"Under the plan, the 45 million people on the electoral roll would be given free shares in the bailed-out banks ."

Yes that probably does include every taxpayer.....but it will also include a lot who contributed virtually nothing in taxation.

and we must of course ensure that the no good money grabbing benefits scum don't get a single penny they don't deserve. Never mind that some may have paid lots of tax over the years, or may pay a fortune in tax in the future...

Or were you referring to the wealthy who manage to comprehensively avoid their tax liabilities?

oldmarine
23-Jun-11, 17:52
Nothing comes free. Someone eventually will have to pay even though things appear to be free.

Gordon Bonnet
23-Jun-11, 19:24
Within a savings portfolio I have over 5,000 shares in Lloyds,my initial investment was made when assured 'the banks cannot go lower' in 2008. They went a lot lower.
Having managed to bring my 'average' down and take my holding up at minimal cost I am not in favour of 'giving' shares away.
However, there is still a very good clearing bank in there somewhere and They should be sold eventually and the cash returned to the taxpayer via public spending projects, thereby spurring employment.
It will take about four years before these shares equal my initial investment - it's a gamble of course and I'm not asking for sympathy.
However, there are peoppe paying tax here now who took no part in the bank 'bail out' and may prosper.
- and Lloyds never needed to be 'bailed out' in the first place. Only a Brown inspired mis-guided merger with the Halifax/Bank of Scotland dragged Lloyds down into the gutter of the bail-out, thereby helping the Govt. out of a hole and avoiding financial disaster for UKplc..

We need banks to restore their balance sheets, start lending more readily to small time businessmen AND to be more tightly regulated. Only then will we be confident about the future, only then will my shares buy me a £15k car for my retirement...surely a modest requirement from a 49 year taxpayer with a prudent bent. No give-a-ways please... chavs, opportunists and ne'er doo wells will prosper.

Bazeye
24-Jun-11, 02:05
Nothing comes free. Someone eventually will have to pay even though things appear to be free.

What that man said.