PDA

View Full Version : No Olympic Legacy for Scotland

RecQuery
21-Jun-11, 09:54
I couldn't care less about sports or the Olympics in particular but I found this article (http://news.scotsman.com/news/Scotland39s-39minimal39-Olympic-legacy-revealed.6787885.jp) in the Scotsman interesting.

Some £150m of Scottish National Lottery money will be ploughed into the Olympics, but no equivalent legacy project has been put forward for Scotland – or the other devolved nations, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The lottery funding handed out to Scotland as part of a separate legacy initiative for the Commonwealth Games in 2014 is 24 times less than the amount of cash England stands to receive as part of the Places People Play programme unveiled by Games chairman Lord Coe last year.

In contrast, a similar legacy programme to mark Scotland hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2014 will receive just £6.8m in Lottery funding over five years – while the UK government will not contribute a penny to the Glasgow event.

weezer 316
21-Jun-11, 10:36
Quite bad we are losing £150m of lottery funding, but to be fair the Olympics is a monumental event and as such will always swallow up the lions share of funding thats available. You cant really hold the commonwealth games as anything like a direct comparison either. The scale and level of them not even closley related.

Leanne
21-Jun-11, 20:58
How much does it work out per capita?

Cattach
22-Jun-11, 11:58
Quite bad we are losing £150m of lottery funding, but to be fair the Olympics is a monumental event and as such will always swallow up the lions share of funding thats available. You cant really hold the commonwealth games as anything like a direct comparison either. The scale and level of them not even closley related.

You are quite correct - getting the lion's share - The Lion Rampant's share. We in Scotland are totally neglected by the powers in London and the media so the grabbing of our money to pay for what is basically a London event should not surprise us.

theone
22-Jun-11, 12:12
I wonder what commonwealth games legacy there will be for Caithness?

weezer 316
22-Jun-11, 12:41
You are quite correct - getting the lion's share - The Lion Rampant's share. We in Scotland are totally neglected by the powers in London and the media so the grabbing of our money to pay for what is basically a London event should not surprise us.

Pipe down! It is a london event!! We will see how enthusiastic we are about the olympics when the games at hampden are being played for the football. I bet the place is empty, maybe 4 figures show up. We only moan about legacy when used as a stick to say "they dont care about us" when in reality you coudlnt care about the olympics either!

Your not neglected by London, your just looking for a scapegoat to moan about.

Cattach
22-Jun-11, 14:48
Pipe down! It is a london event!! We will see how enthusiastic we are about the olympics when the games at hampden are being played for the football. I bet the place is empty, maybe 4 figures show up. We only moan about legacy when used as a stick to say "they dont care about us" when in reality you coudlnt care about the olympics either!

Your not neglected by London, your just looking for a scapegoat to moan about.

Central government and the media treat Scotland as a county not a country. eg Snow in Scotland (where?), media - snow in Hampshire (very specific). Thousands of small but significant examples can be found and all add up to the Scots being treated as second class citizens as far as the English and the Media is concerned. I think you should go and put your head back in the sand as you clearly do not see or want to see the colonial attitude to this country of ours.

theone
22-Jun-11, 14:55
Central government and the media treat Scotland as a county not a country. eg Snow in Scotland (where?), media - snow in Hampshire (very specific). Thousands of small but significant examples can be found and all add up to the Scots being treated as second class citizens as far as the English and the Media is concerned. I think you should go and put your head back in the sand as you clearly do not see or want to see the colonial attitude to this country of ours.

Small man syndrome.

I'm sure the Geordies think the same of the Southerners.

You even see it on here when "them in Inverness" are getting everything from the council.............

weezer 316
22-Jun-11, 14:56

Lmao! Ludicrous example and one thats wholly inaccurate. I have heard news bulletins refer to southern England (home of 20m people) and then mention places like Braemar (population: 850 ) on its own! Childish to say the least cattach. And I am sure you have never referred to England as "down south" in all your puff you bastion of modernity you are!

I suggest the BBC website btw, you can stick your postcode in and it will give you a very local outlook.

Corrie 3
22-Jun-11, 15:05
I am with you on this one Cattach !
But you are wasting your time discussing it with Weezer, the 29year old who has been everywhere, done everything, has a far superior knowledge than everyone else on here and is always right !!!!
I am still wondering though why he is living in Scotland when he loves London so much and fights their every corner!!

C3.......:roll:;)

RecQuery
22-Jun-11, 15:35
I am with you on this one Cattach !
But you are wasting your time discussing it with Weezer, the 29year old who has been everywhere, done everything, has a far superior knowledge than everyone else on here and is always right !!!!
I am still wondering though why he is living in Scotland when he loves London so much and fights their every corner!!

What does age have to do with it? many in history were younger.

Corrie 3
22-Jun-11, 16:14
What does age have to do with it? many in history were younger.
You mean the history of "Forum know It All's" ?

weezer 316
22-Jun-11, 16:19
Corrie give it a break will you. If it aint in scotland, or scottish, your anti-it by all accounts. A narrow mindedn and bordering racist attitude I desperately hope my fellow scottish people help stamp out.

Im 27 actaully but what thats gotta do with anything is beyond me.

In short, grow up.

weezer 316
22-Jun-11, 16:23
You mean the history of "Forum know It All's" ?

Desperate quote. I pick your manic points apart becuase they make no sense, are irrational and because they clearly conflict with the reality of the world. It doesnt make me a know it all, just a rational person. Should try it sometimes.

Corrie 3
22-Jun-11, 18:28
Corrie give it a break will you. If it aint in scotland, or scottish, your anti-it by all accounts. A narrow mindedn and bordering racist attitude I desperately hope my fellow scottish people help stamp out.

Im 27 actaully but what thats gotta do with anything is beyond me.

In short, grow up.
There you go again Weezer, telling people what to do cos you know best!!! You call me racist but you never have anything good to say about Scotland or her people, its all England and London for you, I do get the feeling that you are not in fact Scottish but English, I mean, would a true Scotsman ever dream of voting for the Tories?

Carry on Laddy!!!!

weezer 316
22-Jun-11, 22:06
There you go again Weezer, telling people what to do cos you know best!!! You call me racist but you never have anything good to say about Scotland or her people, its all England and London for you, I do get the feeling that you are not in fact Scottish but English, I mean, would a true Scotsman ever dream of voting for the Tories?

Carry on Laddy!!!!

hahaha! Carry on alright, all in your head! Plenty good to say about scotland, nothign good to say about small minded people like yourself who are driving this country down the wrong path. Its all the tories/english fault. get independence, it wil be the ginger haired peoples fault, after them, you can start blaming the jews perhaps? Your cynicusm knows no bounds. You treat politics like its football, suporting your own to death even of they are talking nonsense and damning the others.

And surely even you can see the point you amke accusing me of being a know it all then say somehting ludicrious like "no true scotsman would ever vote tory" hahahaha! No hope for common sense when you making huge mistakes like on the same post.