PDA

View Full Version : Scots Guards...

John Little
11-Jun-11, 19:38
... trooping the colour on BBC 2 right now...

John Little
11-Jun-11, 20:07
Very impressive the Scots Guards - lines are ruler straight and all is precision.
It never fails to amaze me what humans can orchestrate.

HM is tapping her foot.

Quite spectacular.

And quite a contrast to what they were doing a few weeks ago.

ducati
11-Jun-11, 20:34
Yes it always amazes me that the people doing the ceremonial duties are same people that come to your country and kill you.

John Little
11-Jun-11, 20:36
:eek: Well if the Scots Guards come to your country and kill you - please let me know...

golach
11-Jun-11, 20:38
Yes it always amazes me that the people doing the ceremonial duties are same people that come to your country and kill you.
Because they are soldiers and are good at their jobs, I was proud of them today, and I will be marching down the Royal Mile on Armed Forces day on the 25th June, filled with the same pride, as a veteran and will be proud also on that day.

John Little
11-Jun-11, 20:40
What is it about pipes and drums?

John Little
11-Jun-11, 20:52
That

was

brilliant!

bekisman
11-Jun-11, 22:00
Is that you Anfield?

bekisman
11-Jun-11, 22:07
Enjoyed it - took me back to the early 60's, on a big exercise in Germany, been out for weeks, living rough in some wood or other.. the weather had been atrocious, everyone /thing was mud incrusted.. during a quiet time I did a bit of a wander; a couple of hundred yards through the trees, and peered over a mound, and there on the other side was a three-ton truck, with it's tail-gate down, and a Scots Guardsman using his hexamine burner to heat up an iron so to press his combat trousers! that image stayed with me for ages...

ducati
11-Jun-11, 22:24
Is that you Anfield?

Hey I didn't say they shouldn't come to your country and kill you. Obviously they should :eek:

John Little
11-Jun-11, 22:26
Hey I didn't say they shouldn't come to your country and kill you. Obviously they should :eek:

:eek: You're at it again! Why do you want them to kill poor Bekisman? :eek:

pat
11-Jun-11, 22:31
The RSM Alistair Ian Mackenzie was brought up just up the road from where I live over here, his mum still lives there.
Know his mother would be sitting glued to the television as well as recording it.
Will be watching it on i-player later whenever I have time.
If you ever get the chance to be there take the chance but it is much better on television as you see more.
The British Forces scrub up well and their drill is fantastic - they (as an individual) do not want to be the one picked on as being out of alignment, wrong movement or not in step, their pocket could not stand the hit it would take having to buy beers for everyone in apology for their slip.

Kenn
11-Jun-11, 22:48
I too enjoyed the spectacle as it's many years since I saw the real thing.
I also liked the personal notes which remind us that each and every one is a serving soldier and not just there for decoration as one piper pointed out.

Shame they did n't play "Flower of Scotland," that would have put the cat among the pigeons!

golach
11-Jun-11, 22:51
Shame they did n't play "Flower of Scotland," that would have put the cat among the pigeons!

Flower of Scotland is not a pipe tune Lizz, but they did play Scotland the Brave lol

bekisman
11-Jun-11, 22:56

Hey what have I done? I don't want some squaddie coming to my country and killing me; I'm innocent (honest), fair enough, I could understand it if I threw an empty can of beer out of me car, but I'm tee-total and can't drive, so it wasn't me!