PDA

View Full Version : Poly tunnel

loppylugs
09-Jun-11, 13:48
HI
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN BUY A POLY TUNNEL AS i'VE BEEN TOLD THEY ARE BETTER THAN A GREEN HOUSE IN WINDY! PLACES:confused

annemarie482
09-Jun-11, 17:04
i havent bought one.....
but have been looking here

http://www.highlandpolytunnels.co.uk/

they are a company based in nairn.
has anyone bought for them up here?

Croftergirl
09-Jun-11, 20:40
Iv got 3 here, 1 from national polytunnels (its the tallest one) and 2 from northern polytunnels.
The est advice i can give you is shop around and speak to different companies.
If you do go ahead and are in an exposed location, you are best to set the hoops at 5foot spacings, rather than what the manufacturers recommend.
Also make sure you get the snow bars, (this increases the strength too). You can now get fixing strips that you attach to the end hoops so that the polythene cover doesnt have to be stretched from a square to a half circle on the ends, ie it makes the ends smooth and not wrinkly!! (the wrinkles catch the wind and thats where the rips start!)
We've had ours up for about 10 years now and are getting 4 -5 yrs out of each cover now.
We're 330feet up, with very little protection, we do have an earth bank around the tunnels which helps deflect the wind a bitty......

good luck when you go ahead with it, polytunnels are great things!

Skirza
11-Jun-11, 13:49
We bought one from Citadel Polytunnels. The guy was really helpful and when we had the winds recently he gave some fantastic advice on keeping the whole thing together. We survived intact with only a tiny bit of stretching to they polythene. Reasonably priced too which was a bonus.

thomas1donald
11-Jun-11, 19:53
hi we got ours from first tunnels, they have a web site it shows you everything you need to know,ours are in a very exposed area and stood the heavy winds well,hope this helps

porshiepoo
12-Jun-11, 00:19
We got ours from Northern tunnels.
My advice would be to get the best you can afford. We got hoop spacings at 5ft, 2 top central supports plus crop bars - all will help with durability during high winds (we're very exposed and have no probs).
We also paid a little extra for some different kind of plastic (don't remember the name) and it really helps prevent sun burning through.
I would definitely advise NOT to get the aluminium base bars with the plastic T & U strips that keep the plastic in place on the base rails. The T & U pieces are very difficult to fix together and result in splits in the plastic if you're not careful (If you are careful, it's nigh on impossible to fix the bloomin stuff anyway). We had to complain about the plastic less than 2 months after putting it up and did get another roll sent to us but we shan't re-fix the aluminium base rails or the T & U pieces, we'll buy wood.

Definitely better than my greenhouse. My veg crops are way more advanced than they would normally be and I'm able to grow stuff I couldn't otherwise grow.

Leanne
12-Jun-11, 00:22
Please turn off your caps lock...

pads1
19-Jun-11, 11:36
Hiya we are the same as thomas1donald, I was convinced it was going to blow away this winter but withheld amazingly and we have NO shelter and we are on a hill, you have to position it correctly though I am sure