PDA

View Full Version : Pruning

Liz
30-May-11, 13:32
I have a tree/shrub (to be honest not sure what it is :confused) where I hang all the bird feeders.

It should have been pruned hard earlier but never got this done because of the awful weather.
Is it okay to do this now when the leaves are coming in or should I wait until Autumn?

Thanks!:D

cherokee
30-May-11, 15:04
Hiya Liz, I'm no gardener by any means, but, personally I would cut it back, though probably not as vigorously as you would have done earlier in the year.

We have a buddelia (sp?) bush in the back garden and about a month ago it was in dire need of being cut back of "stragglers", so I just carried on and did this with no detrimental effect to the plant at all.

As you're not sure what type of shrub you have, I would go relatively "gentle" with it, but if you use hand pruning-shears you can trim off any "stragglers" which'll give the shrub more sustenance to the main "stem", tidy it up and should, later in the year, produce a very healthy looking bush.

As I've already siad, Liz, I'm no expert on gardens, but IMHO, I can't see how you'd go wrong by trying this?

No doubt, someone will give you better advice tho !!

Take Care X

Liz
30-May-11, 22:49
Thanks ever so much for your advice and I will have a go and see how much I can remove whilst leaving the birdies plenty of space for their feeders. :) xx