PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholics Anonymous

gleeber
21-May-11, 09:58
Many years ago I was a regular member of Alcoholics Anonymous in Caithness. Times change but sometimes I go to the local weekend convention which happens annually on the third weekend of May. They have a weekend of meetings both open and closed. The Saturday night convention is an open public meeting and anyone is welcomed. There's no difference between public or closed meetings so the public meeting portrays the power that helps millions of people worldwide.
Public meeting starts at 7.30 pm tonight British Legion Hall Thurso.
They have a hoohaw afterwards with the inimitable Robin Young trio. Good night for all and a bit of therapy to boot. The bars open in the hall and coffee is served before and after meetings.
I have no connection with AA and have posted this off my own back.

shazzap
21-May-11, 10:18
Many years ago I was a regular member of Alcoholics Anonymous in Caithness. Times change but sometimes I go to the local weekend convention which happens annually on the third weekend of May. They have a weekend of meetings both open and closed. The Saturday night convention is an open public meeting and anyone is welcomed. There's no difference between public or closed meetings so the public meeting portrays the power that helps millions of people worldwide.
Public meeting starts at 7.30 pm tonight British Legion Hall Thurso.
They have a hoohaw afterwards with the inimitable Robin Young trio. Good night for all and a bit of therapy to boot. The bars open in the hall and coffee is served before and after meetings.
I have no connection with AA and have posted this off my own back.

Bars open? At an AA meeting. Not being funny, but is this not a bit too tempting.

gleeber
21-May-11, 14:35
Bars open? At an AA meeting. Not being funny, but is this not a bit too tempting.

I never thought about it to be honest. The alcoholic may say the problems not in the bottle. Wives and partners may like an alcoholic drink. I suppose thats why AA holds open meetings from time to time. just raises their profile a wee bit because AA doesn't get involved in promotion or advertising.