PDA

View Full Version : No Olympic Torch!

mostlyharmless
18-May-11, 21:19
The Olympic torch jumps from Inverness to Orkney! Where is John O Groats? [Surely its still iconic where many great journeys begin and end..] Do they know Caithness is here? Come on put us on the Olympic map!..Surely we will be added later?!

Gronnuck
18-May-11, 21:27
The comment was made that 95% of the population would be within one hour's travel of the torch's route. Well much of the population of Caithness will be a bit nearer than that as it flys over our heads on its way to Kirkwall. :eek::confused

lindsaymcc
19-May-11, 09:10
I discussed this with my husband yesterday, and was also surprised that there was no JOG stop - especially as it starts at Lands End.

It must get added in - or yet again, anything North of Inverness on the mainland is forgotten about!

golach
19-May-11, 09:19
I cannot understand the indignation with posters on this thread, its only a wee torch, it will be flying over you, is that not enough? The torch will be coming to Edinburgh.....will I go out of my way to see it........NO, could not care less about the thing.

Will this be seen as another reason for independance [lol]

rob1
19-May-11, 09:47
perhaps reading the articles would help before complaining that places are missed out. The places listed are those where the flame will be spending the night. There is to be another announcement later in the year with a more detailed program. The flame will be on the move for 12 hours a day. Do you real see it travelling round Orkney for all of that?

If you really want to complain about something it should be that the flame is going to the Isle of Mann, Jersey and Guernsey. Each of which is not part of the UK and therefore not paying for it, where as other island such as the Isle of Wright is not being visited.

Rheghead
19-May-11, 10:07
We shouldn't be too upset about being left out of the Olympic torch relay as it was invented by the Nazis in 1936.

Mister Squiggle
19-May-11, 15:40
Just wait until the torch relay goes through Portgower ... :(

Kodiak
19-May-11, 16:19
Well when I watched TV last night they said that the Olympic Torch was stopping overnight in Inverness and then was being taken up to John O'Groats by a series of Runners. Then from John O'Groats it was going across to Orkney by the ferry.

All sorts of differing information is being said about the route so all we can do is to wait and see what happens.

Shabbychic
19-May-11, 17:11
Just wait until the torch relay goes through Portgower ... :(

Now that I would go and see.....At a distance of course.

Corrie 3
19-May-11, 17:29
Will this be seen as another reason for independance
Of course Golach........Its all Nick Cleggs fault as usual!!!......
C3...........:lol::lol::lol:

John Little
19-May-11, 17:44
Like Golach I couldn't care less where they take their jumbo cigarette lighter.

As to the Olympics - I think I'll go on holiday somewhere remote without a telly.

dafi
19-May-11, 23:18
I think it is a crying shame that it wont come over on the JOG to Caithness. Groats is an iconic location of the UK and it really should be there!!!

Walter Ego
19-May-11, 23:21
Nah, it would take days to get past all the tightarsed Weekers asking for a light....

Torvaig
19-May-11, 23:26
I think it is a crying shame that it wont come over on the JOG to Caithness. Groats is an iconic location of the UK and it really should be there!!!

See Kodiac's post #8.....

theone
20-May-11, 00:13
Well when I watched TV last night they said that the Olympic Torch was stopping overnight in Inverness and then was being taken up to John O'Groats by a series of Runners. Then from John O'Groats it was going across to Orkney by the ferry.

All sorts of differing information is being said about the route so all we can do is to wait and see what happens.

I would imagine it may go like that.

We might even get the chance to see it, but I doubt JOG will be designated a "stopping off" point.

porshiepoo
20-May-11, 09:41
Who really gives a flying sausage where the stupid torch goes? If it went via JOG how many would actually bother to make the trip to go and see it? Not me that's for sure.
The Olympic games mean nothing more to me than days upon days of being forced to watch every athletic event going as OH loves it. I can just about tolerate the running events but the frisbee throwing event and the spear throwing event just do nowt for me. As for the hop, skip and jump event can anything get more boring? Yes, it can - seeing who can jump the highest over a pole and land on a mattress!

But then again I'm just cross because we don't get enough coverage of the one event that actually takes some skill (IMO) and that's the Equestrian events.
And don't get me started on the cost of tickets or the stupid system that grabs your money from your bank account but doesn't inform you what event you're actually going to see. How bizarre is that! I mean they must know what events they're charging you for to take the money from you, so why not inform you immediately?

Walter Ego
20-May-11, 09:55

But then again I'm just cross because we don't get enough coverage of the one event that actually takes some skill (IMO) and that's the Equestrian events.
And don't get me started on the cost of tickets or the stupid system that grabs your money from your bank account but doesn't inform you what event you're actually going to see. How bizarre is that! I mean they must know what events they're charging you for to take the money from you, so why not inform you immediately?

Who in their right mind would want to watch a load of horses jumping over a few sticks with an idiot strapped to their back?

It would be a lot more interesting if the horses went round by themselves. The riders are just annoying baggage.

Elephant polo, that's what we should be televising.

Oh, and you can stick the Olympics. Waste of money.

mostlyharmless
21-May-11, 22:35
Lol ,thanks guys just looked back at this…So, all in all you agree- I should have less indignation…or more depending on if I’m forced to watch athletics or if I’m worried about an Isle of Man[Mann] conspiracy.
I should look at pictures or maps less, and learn to read especially about the Nazi’s who ignited the wee thing in the first place. It’ll be here of course over my head somewhere, or if I’d watch tv more within easy reach, as long as I don’t want to sleep with it. In the end if I’d worked out how long it takes to go round the Orkneys I would have realised going on holiday not to see the Olympics was a better option than watching horses or Nick Clegg ride an elephant through Portgower…thanks for putting me straight.;]

Mystical Potato Head
22-May-11, 01:25
Lol ,thanks guys just looked back at this…So, all in all you agree- I should have less indignation…or more depending on if I’m forced to watch athletics or if I’m worried about an Isle of Man[Mann] conspiracy.
I should look at pictures or maps less, and learn to read especially about the Nazi’s who ignited the wee thing in the first place. It’ll be here of course over my head somewhere, or if I’d watch tv more within easy reach, as long as I don’t want to sleep with it. In the end if I’d worked out how long it takes to go round the Orkneys I would have realised going on holiday not to see the Olympics was a better option than watching horses or Nick Clegg ride an elephant through Portgower…thanks for putting me straight.;]

The Orkneys??????.Its either Orkney or The Orkney Islands.

mostlyharmless
22-May-11, 01:36
Quite right it is just "Orkney".

Strictly speaking the name is already plural as "Orkney" is simply a shortened version of the Old Norse "Orkneyjar", meaning "Seal Islands" No offence intended.

Bazeye
22-May-11, 02:34
I cannot understand the indignation with posters on this thread, its only a wee torch, it will be flying over you, is that not enough? The torch will be coming to Edinburgh.....will I go out of my way to see it........NO, could not care less about the thing.

Will this be seen as another reason for independance [lol]
Well l,unless its in the Navy Club or the Royal I wont be seeing it either

Mystical Potato Head
22-May-11, 10:07
Quite right it is just "Orkney".

Strictly speaking the name is already plural as "Orkney" is simply a shortened version of the Old Norse "Orkneyjar", meaning "Seal Islands" No offence intended.

Strictly speaking it was the Norse interpretation of the name Orcades where the Orc part became Orkn,their word for seal so what we have is Orkn and eyjar.So without the jar part
it now becomes singular and could be interprated as Isle of Orkney.
From a legal point,documents are signed in "the parish of (whatever parish),Orkney.
There is no doubt that in the past the term "The Orkneys" was used and there are several books that have it in their titles
but that was then and this is now and Orcadians themselves never call Orkney,"the Orkneys."