PDA

View Full Version : How does she do it?

bagpuss
06-May-11, 23:33
I refer of course to a star of last week's Royal Wedding, our dear Duchess Camilla. This year Prince Charles can sing to her that old Beatles stand by 'When I'm sixty four'. And doesn't she look good for her age?

She pretty much got her own way with the guest list for last week's do- no invites for Rosa Monckton or Lucia Flecha da Lima- Diana's friends- and no Tony Blair either.

However- just a thought- she looks good for her years- thanks to a pampered lifestyle. But have we heard her speak lately? Shouldn't she be doing the odd public engagement on her own? And why is she not speaking up as the patron of the Osteoporosis charities- the 'new Aids' of our time- which all of us who reach old age will find as a scourge.

So I'm starting the We Want Camilla fan club- lets hear it from the girl. Come on woman- speak up for old bats in Britain!

secrets in symmetry
06-May-11, 23:38
I am a big fan of Camilla, but I thought she looked dreadful last week. She appeared to be unsteady on her feet more than once, and she has more tram lines on her face than Edinburgh will have even in their Council's wildest dreams. I was worried about her health.

golach
06-May-11, 23:43
I am a big fan of Camilla, but I thought she looked dreadful last week. She appeared to be unsteady on her feet more than once, and she has more tram lines on her face than Edinburgh will have even in their Council's wildest dreams. I was worried about her health.
Edinburgh has very little tramlines, and I hope they never have. The bloody things have cost the city over £600m up to now.
Princes Street a mile long has tramlines, no where else

bagpuss
06-May-11, 23:53
The unsteadiness might be down to a gin and dubonnet too many?

However-after her encounter with those protestors, and the look of fear on her face, I think she needs to get out more and remind the public she's more than just a bidie in. She's ideally placed to speak up for pensioners- sooner or later the trendy causes will be taken up by the young and beautiful- and the clock is ticking

bagpuss
06-May-11, 23:55
How about getting Camilla to come and visit the Home Care organisation over next summer- have her filmed out and about speaking to the elderly and their carers?

secrets in symmetry
06-May-11, 23:58
Gin at that time of the morning? I hope not.

I'm sure I saw some tram lines way outside Princes Street recently - near South Gyle perhaps?

bagpuss
07-May-11, 00:03
The late Queen Mum was very fond of the bottle and guests at her parties were often very inebriated very fast- she was of the generation that took cocktails very seriously- and started long before the sun was over the yard arm. Nowadays we take a sterner view of all day drinking! We might in retrospect question if the lady in question was really just an old alcoholic?

Camilla's lines are I suspect down to her many years of smoking- which not only takes a decade off one's life span, but also adds ten years on to one's face. But it only makes her look like a battered and much loved old teddy

Bazeye
07-May-11, 02:09
The late Queen Mum was very fond of the bottle and guests at her parties were often very inebriated very fast- she was of the generation that took cocktails very seriously- and started long before the sun was over the yard arm. Nowadays we take a sterner view of all day drinking! We might in retrospect question if the lady in question was really just an old alcohol

Not that Im a royalist or anything but she sounds like a good craic and if ever she turned up on my doorstep slightly innebriated and wantad a taxi home I'de invite her in , phone her a cab, while she skinned up and got the Stella out, while I put the Stone Roses on.

Bazeye
07-May-11, 02:13
Camilla's lines are I suspect down to her many years of smoking- which not only takes a decade off one's life span, but also adds ten years on to one's face. But it only makes her look like a battered and much loved old teddy

Takes a decade off and adds 10 years on. That'll do for me.

The Music Monster
07-May-11, 10:00
I'm a big fan of Camilla's. I think she looked perfect for her role in the wedding, understated and quietly elegant. And if she looked unsure consider this: all the press and half the population were still drivelling on about Diana, it can't have been terribly comfortable for her.

Furthermore, I respect anyone who can grow old gracefully. I believe the lines you are talking about may have something to do with her age and accepting that, instead of trying to hide it, makes her more gracious.

golach
07-May-11, 10:11
Gin at that time of the morning? I hope not.

I'm sure I saw some tram lines way outside Princes Street recently - near South Gyle perhaps?

You maybe saw some road works, they are moving the underground Utilities before the tramlines are installed. Two years were spent digging up Constitution St, Leith Walk Picardy Place, and York Place, putting businesses to the wall due to lack of access, and now what are we being told is that the trams will not now come to Leith. At the moment there is no work being done at all because Edinburgh Council and the contractors are in dispute, a independent negotiator has been brought to resolve the dispute, more expense.

Kenn
07-May-11, 11:36
"Should have gone to Specsavers," comes to mind.....tram lines they're tattie furrows!
( Sheaths claws and dives into bunker to avoid the broadsides.)

Corrie 3
07-May-11, 12:29
Its her Ex husband I feel sorry for, to be an Adulteress is one thing but to do it with the future king of England is another. Its a pity we aren't more like Saudi where adulterers are stoned to death!!!

C3.....:eek::mad:

pmcd
07-May-11, 13:11
A pity we're not like Saudi? Yeah, love the idea of a repressive and all-embracing GOVERNING monarchy with cruel and repressive laws and customs, and a religious police well into the idea of stoning and chopping off hands. Really dig the idea of being watched and governed by a ruling class of swivel-eyed, medieval fundamentalists. And they're SO good to women, too!

Camilla? The girl done well. Pulled a Prince. Has had a jolly life doing nice things. Generally a good egg. Of course she's been around the block a bit, and yeah, she ain't no spring chicken. At least she gets to laugh behind the wrinkles. And the laugh lines keep her attractive!

secrets in symmetry
07-May-11, 13:54
You maybe saw some road works, they are moving the underground Utilities before the tramlines are installed. Two years were spent digging up Constitution St, Leith Walk Picardy Place, and York Place, putting businesses to the wall due to lack of access, and now what are we being told is that the trams will not now come to Leith. At the moment there is no work being done at all because Edinburgh Council and the contractors are in dispute, a independent negotiator has been brought to resolve the dispute, more expense.I think they were tram lines. I was on the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, just a few minutes from Haymarket but well west of the city centre, and I was looking down on the lines from the train. I think it was between Saughton and South Gyle but I'm not sure. This was about a month ago.

secrets in symmetry
07-May-11, 14:35
Look here (http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Edinburgh%20Trams)for photos of the tram lines I saw.

The first two photos taken on 23rd May 2010 show tram lines at Broomhouse. You can see the power lines for the railway on the right of the first photo.

Near the bottom of the page, there is a photo of lines being laid at Saughton in February 2010.

I'm no expert on trams, but I can recognise tram lines when I see them!

golach
07-May-11, 15:19
Look here (http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Edinburgh%20Trams)for photos of the tram lines I saw.

The first two photos taken on 23rd May 2010 show tram lines at Broomhouse. You can see the power lines for the railway on the right of the first photo.

Near the bottom of the page, there is a photo of lines being laid at Saughton in February 2010.

I'm no expert on trams, but I can recognise tram lines when I see them!

What you saw are the workings for the proposed Tramway, and all work has been stopped for many months now. The only actual tramlines are in Princes Street, and even they are falling apart. I have lived and worked in Leith and Edinburgh since 1964, I think I know my adopted city a little better than someone who glances out a train window.

I am glad your website mentions Waterloo Place and the remnant tramlines from our previous Tram works, they are in better shape than the newer version

secrets in symmetry
07-May-11, 15:43
These look like photos of tramlines to me.

http://www.railbrit.org.uk/images/29000/29063.jpg

http://www.railbrit.org.uk/images/29000/29068.jpg

http://www.railbrit.org.uk/images/27000/27816.jpg

Go to the link I posted above and read the captions for yourself.

You can also read what the Tram website says. CLICK HERE (http://www.edinburghtrams.com/index.php/local_update/by_tram_stop/?tram_stop=Saughton&route_section=Edinburgh%20West)

This is the Saughton progress page and it says

Excellent progress has been made on the guided busway with tram tracks completely installed along 1.4km on both the inner and outer sections. This constitutes the main section of track work for the guided busway.

I am now certain those are the tram lines I saw from the train. Go look for yourself if you don't believe me.

I didn't look at the whole tram website, but The Princes St and Saughton tramlines may be the only ones laid.

golach
07-May-11, 15:55
These look like photos of tramlines to me.

[This is the Saughton progress page and it says

Excellent progress has been made on the guided busway with tram tracks completely installed along 1.4km on both the inner and outer sections. This constitutes the main section of track work for the guided busway.

I am now certain those are the tram lines I saw from the train. Go look for yourself if you don't believe me.

I didn't look at the whole tram website, but The Princes St and Saughton tramlines may be the only ones laid.

That is the guided busway tracks, not the the tram lines, that busway has been in use for many years now, two different systems.

secrets in symmetry
07-May-11, 16:06
I think you are wrong.

I was on a bus travelling along the guided busway a couple of years ago and those tram tracks were not there then. I think you are misinterpreting what's written on the tram website. The guided busway is the "road" they built alongside the railway, initially to carry buses and eventually to carry trams. Note that the website refers to the "guided busway with tram tracks". The tracks are for trams, buses couldn't drive along those lines!

Here is a photo of buses on the guided busway when it was a guided busway:

http://www.railbrit.org.uk/images/19000/19496.jpg

Note the lack of tramlines.

golach
07-May-11, 19:47
Will give you that one, we were both correct to a fashion, you saw the former guided bus lane, now being converted to become part of the infamous tram system. But I stand by my statement that the only fully completed tram line runs the length of Princes Street.

secrets in symmetry
07-May-11, 19:54
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. You were right about it being a converted guided bus lane.

The bit I saw was not being converted, it looked finished to me. The first two photos I posted were evidently taken almost a year ago, and that is the bit I saw from the train. I remember the bridge, which is evidently over Broomhouse Road. The tram website says a 1.4km section has been laid. If I remember correctly, Princes Street is about that length too.

Corrie 3
07-May-11, 19:59
Reet, back on thread, is she ugly or not?

I think she is real ugly and would love a tram to run over her tram lines!!!

C3.....:roll:;)

golach
07-May-11, 21:50
How do you define ugly corrie 3? Beauty is only skin deep, so i have been told.

Corrie 3
07-May-11, 22:01
How do you define ugly corrie 3? Beauty is only skin deep, so i have been told.
How do I define ugly Golach?..Thats easy to answer, Something or someone who/what isnt very nice to look at to me!

C3....:roll:;)

bagpuss
10-May-11, 23:31
The object of the thread is to ascertain whether or not Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall should have a higher profile with her charity work, rather than simply follow Prince Charles three paces behind.

I was a huge fan of Diana- and I have a lot of time for Princess Anne and Charles' charity work. the Royals' 'Firm' exists to represent the State, and to do good works. Is Camilla doing enough to justify being a senior member of that firm?

bagpuss
11-May-11, 20:37
Is this really enough? and why no royal walkabouts in Caithness when Charles is at Castle of Mey?
http://www.midsussextimes.co.uk/news/local/camilla_visits_her_old_stomping_ground_middy_pictu re_spread_in_this_week_s_paper_1_2668292

shazzap
11-May-11, 21:04
Reet, back on thread, is she ugly or not?

I think she is real ugly and would love a tram to run over her tram lines!!!

C3.....:roll:;)

Mwahaha. Sorry, i know i shouldn't. But it made me laugh.