PDA

View Full Version : Sony usb flash drive.

Dialyser
04-May-11, 21:20
I have a 16gb sony flash drive, which isn't that old or been heavily used. When I plug it into my laptop it shows that there are no files and says the drive only has a total capacity of 200mb!

I have tried reformating it but it made no difference. Does anyone know if there is anything else I can try or is the drive just broken?

RecQuery
05-May-11, 14:03
I'd recommend trying it in a different computer and checking that other similar devices work on that one but I'd also try the 'Disk Management' utility:

Click on Start and in the search field type in the following: diskmgmt.msc then press Enter. Disk Management will start. If you're using XP click 'Run' and type the command in there instead.

Take a look at the partitions etc.

If you're using a OSX or Linux then there are other options also.

torisdale
05-May-11, 22:22
wow that's a new one, what file system are you reformatting it to?

Dialyser
06-May-11, 13:07
I followed your advice RecQuery and found that the primary partition is 200mb with the remaining 14.5gb sitting beside it. I am unsure how to correct it though?

When I tried to reformat I used FAT file system.

Many thanks for your help with this.

torisdale
06-May-11, 19:48
I followed your advice RecQuery and found that the primary partition is 200mb with the remaining 14.5gb sitting beside it. I am unsure how to correct it though?

Can you not right click and extend the volume in device management then or is it not an option?

Dialyser
06-May-11, 21:11
The extend volume option is greyed out when I tried this.

dx100uk
07-May-11, 00:43
are you sure this is not one of these sony thumb drives with the U3 software on it?

if it is you just need to download and run the U3 software again on the stick

dx