PDA

View Full Version : Saturn from the dark skies of Caithness

Pouleriscaig
03-May-11, 19:00
Hi! I don't know if anyone would be interested in this small picture, but I took this picture of Saturn last week during all this good weather which is the Picture of the week in the British Astronomical Association's webpage.

Just click on the link:

http://www.britastro.org/baa/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=100001

Dreamweaver
03-May-11, 19:33
Well I think that's flippin fab!!

Pouleriscaig
03-May-11, 20:11
Thanks Dreamweaver, that's kind.

richardj
03-May-11, 20:59
I love it, how did you photograph it, what type of telescope did you use?
Richard

wicker05
03-May-11, 21:50
Congrats, excellent shot.

astroman
03-May-11, 22:38
That's a great photo Pouleriscaig. Nice sharp image, and a good representation of what it looks like through a small telescope - not that a 6" f/9 refractor is all that small :)

tjc
03-May-11, 22:55
Amazing shot indeed.

Very well done. :)

Pouleriscaig
04-May-11, 17:36
Thanks for all your kind comments.

Richard, it was taken with a 6 inch/150mm Helios Refractor, using a webcam called a Neximager produced by Celestron. Both in astronomcal terms, are pretty low spec, (but as astro man suggests the 6 inch achromatic refractor is fairly large and heavy, particularly when I've got to carry it !),and then I processed the image using software called Registax.

Some of the images others produce, use high spec CCD cameras and are excellent, and kind of put mine in the shade, so to speak, but I liked the fact I got a bit of detail on this one with the equipment I have.

Thanks.

bcsman
04-May-11, 18:06
well done,you must be really chuffed

AndyMcD
06-May-11, 13:24
I don't know much about astronomy photographs but that one looks pretty good to me!

Andy