PDA

View Full Version : ebay

orkneylass
09-Sep-06, 16:59
I am an ebay junkie. I buy everything on ebay - my biggest purchase - car at £1895, smallest purchases - a blouse for 1p and a book for 1p. Have bought everything including the kitchen sink ( and one for the utility room).

What's the best bargain/ wierdest thing/ most expensive item you have bought or sold on ebay???

porshiepoo
09-Sep-06, 17:01
Had an old aga that was ripped apart by the previous owners of our derelict house. Hubby was gonna take it to the tip but I thought I'd give ebay a go. I got £920.00. for it and the guy came from England to get it - then he only wanted the cast iron bits. The state it was in we never thought anyone would be interested. :)

henry20
09-Sep-06, 17:12
I am an ebay junkie. I buy everything on ebay - my biggest purchase - car at £1895, smallest purchases - a blouse for 1p and a book for 1p. Have bought everything including the kitchen sink ( and one for the utility room).

What's the best bargain/ wierdest thing/ most expensive item you have bought or sold on ebay???

I laugh at your post - and not in a nasty way, but my mum always says she gets bargains on ebay - like shoes for 99p, but she always forgets to tell us the postage was £12, so her 99p shoes actually cost her £13 (with 1p change :) )

Saying that, I got addicted too and bought a lot of things for my wedding off ebay.

Have had many bargains too - jeans for £3, wedding shoes for £5ish (can't remember exactly)

But I also paid about £5 for a book with a price of £3.95 on it :lol:

My first purchase was an old fiesta for £285, but it cost me £150 to get it delivered from Newcastle & £300+ to insure.

sharon
09-Sep-06, 17:20
I bought a car for £3900 and made my hubby travel to birmingham for it.... last month he was delighted that i bought a car nearer to home just in stirling....but off auto trader this time!
one day my daughter and i was mucking about and she bought a hoody for 6p with £1.20 p&p and it never came off her until i put it to the bin a year later, as it had a hole in it, bargain :lol:

Dali
09-Sep-06, 17:39
Who is the bigest Ebay junkie what is your feedback for buying things only .
Mine is 786.

Billy Boy
09-Sep-06, 18:29
i am a total ebay junkie,mr bb and i have just bought a brand new fish tank & cabinet (thats over 5ft long ) and accessories for £400 including p+p a real bargain as they retail for over £600 in the shops

weirdest thing i sold was a 4 leaf clover for £2.70 + p+p ( only put it on for a laugh for 1p had 5 bids on it.
some folk will buy anything
had a lot of bargains :lol:

badger
09-Sep-06, 18:48
I'm another one. Bought masses of lego for the kids and got some really great bargains. I never buy unless postage its reasonable as think lots of sellers make their money that way and get frustrated sometimes with bigger things that are collection only from miles away but that's just bad luck. I just love ebay - totally addictive.

orkneylass
09-Sep-06, 19:00
We are building a house and I've bought lots of things for that. Bought a large quantity of vinyl floor tiles, the boxes are really heavy. I told the postman what they were for and he looked at me in horror "you're not getting the whole house delivered by post bit by bit are you?" - "not quite" I smiled......

Royster1911
09-Sep-06, 19:02
stung once so never tried it again. got a wife ( orcadian ) for offer. any takers????[lol]

engiebenjy
09-Sep-06, 19:14
I bought a stainless steel locking bathroom cabinet for £7, postage £8 - total £15. When the parcel arrived it had actually cost £16.40 to post!!! So it's not only us buyers who get stung with postage. Made me smile though.

Buttercup
09-Sep-06, 19:21
Mine is 786.

Trying (unsuccessfully) to wean myself off this addiction ;) ~ 857 and rising!

sam
09-Sep-06, 19:40
how many of you have actually bought items that you didnt really need?

orkneylass
09-Sep-06, 19:46
To be honest, the 1p blouse wasn't up to much.....

sharon
09-Sep-06, 19:56
Mine is 786.

my hubby thinks mines is bad, but is only 258

:Razz

sam
09-Sep-06, 19:59
The "eBay song"

A used ... pink bathrobe
A rare ... mint snowglobe
A Smurf ... TV tray
I bought on eBay

My house ... is filled with this crap
Shows up in bubble wrap
Most every day
What I bought on eBay
Tell me why (I need another pet rock)
Tell me why (I got that Alf alarm clock)
Tell me why (I bid on Shatner's old toupee)
They had it on eBay
I'll buy ... your knick-knack
Just check ... my feedback
"A++!" they all say
They love me on eBay
Gonna buy (a slightly-damaged golf bag)
Gonna buy (some Beanie Babies, new with tag)
(From some guy) I've never met in Norway
Found him on eBay
I am the type who is liable to snipe you
With two seconds left to go, whoa
Got Paypal or Visa, what ever'll please
As long as I've got the dough
I'll buy ... your tchotchkes
Sell me ... your watch, please
I'll buy (I'll buy, I'll buy, I'll buy ...)
I'm highest bidder now
(Junk keeps arriving in the mail)
(From that worldwide garage sale) (Dukes Of Hazzard ashtray)
(Hey! A Dukes Of Hazzard ashtray)
Oh yeah ... (I bought it on eBay)
Wanna buy (a PacMan Fever lunchbox)
Wanna buy (a case off vintage tube socks)
Wanna buy (a Kleenex used by Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre)
(Found it on eBay)
Wanna buy (that Farrah Fawcett poster)
(Pez dispensers and a toaster)
(Don't know why ... the kind of stuff you'd throw away)

(I'll buy on eBay)
What I bought on eBay-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y :lol:

heard this song a while back and thought it was pretty good

obiron
09-Sep-06, 20:14
just bought school trousers for the youngest and got 3 pairs in excellent nick for under £7. was from 2 different sellers. the dearest thing i bought was a mobile phone for my bro. not been buying for long so am only up at 75 i think.

engiebenjy
09-Sep-06, 20:22
http://www.imagestorepro.com/ebay_song.html

you can hear the song here.

Bobinovich
09-Sep-06, 21:12
Only sell occasionally but best one was when I managed to sell a new Nokia mobile (which I'd got with a contract) for £150 + p&p. Kept the contract SIM and put it in my (better) old phone. The contract cost me £11.99 per month for 12 months - a total of £143.88 - so I got all the benefits of the contract AND made a bit of profit too!

As far as purchases go I've bought loads of new laser consumables at approx. half the retail cost and have reaquainted myself with the joys of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans once more - Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

scorrie
09-Sep-06, 21:53
I bought a teddy bear on eBay for £5 and sold it later on eBay for £145

I don't buy all that much from eBay as there seem to be so many novices bidding items up way beyond the true value. I often find other online outlets to be way cheaper. For example, I was looking at shavers recently that were £73.99 on eBay and found the same thing elsewhere for £55. Even within eBay itself it seems that some users cannot master the search facility, far less the ability to filter items by lowest price first!!

orkneylass
09-Sep-06, 23:16
The secret is - always do your research to chack you really are getting a bargain. I, too, have bought stuff and when it was no good for me, ended up selling it at a profit. It's good fun. the other thing I have found is that the big sellers with good feedback give a quality of service that puts most businesses to shame.

engiebenjy
09-Sep-06, 23:31
The secret is - always do your research to chack you really are getting a bargain. I, too, have bought stuff and when it was no good for me, ended up selling it at a profit. It's good fun. the other thing I have found is that the big sellers with good feedback give a quality of service that puts most businesses to shame.

Absolutely, quite a few times i've paid for things from 'big sellers' at lunchtime, and the item is through my door the following morning. Where else are you getting service like that?

rainbow
10-Sep-06, 09:04
Hubby bought a nail gun for £277. When it arrived home we got an e-mail from ebay saying the seller had been removed due to a breach of the rules, and to check it out. we contacted the manufacturer who said the 'gun' was an import, you wouldn't get parts and it was not insured for use on a building site in the UK. We registered a dispute on paypal, and despite the seller not being happy we got a full refund after returning the item to him (although we lost out on our postage). A satisfactory resolution, and we are thankful to ebay for letting us know about this devious deal (the seller was selling these gun en masse). I dont't use ebay much and now I am very wary.
Hubby now the proud owner of a fully priced legit nail gun (at £350!!!).

willz320
10-Sep-06, 09:59
I bought my Dell laptop off of eBay for about £250, it is now four years old, and I could still sell it quite easily for the same price! I got it with courier within 2 days to Orkney! Very chuffed. :)

bobbyjoeufb
10-Sep-06, 16:32
I have bought and sold loads on ebay, the most expensive thing I have bought is a boat! The guy wanted almost £5000 for it as a buy now, but when I was looking on other websites I found he also had it for sale privately, contacted him direct and bought the boat for £4000 also got him to delivery it from Poole to Manchester. He could have easily got the £5000 if he had left it to run on ebay, bidding was at £3600 when I used the buy it now option to remove it from the auction. (still had 3 days to run) Got the boat home and delighted with it.

Sold my old drysuit on ebay was 4 years old, id had paid £300 for it, and a year eariler spent £70 getting it professional repaired. The neck seal and cuffs had perished but it still sold for over £80.00.

I always try to pay with paypal as any problems they are really good for getting your money back.

I recently sold a wedding dress and a complaint was made that it was not received, paypal refuned the buyer as I had not sent it by recorded delivery, but I managed to claim compensation through the post office.

Now every thing I sell on ebay is sent by registered post.

sassylass
10-Sep-06, 17:14
I buy and sell quite a lot on eBay and the vast majority of transactions are just fine. I've learnt a few rules to live by, namely:

Always do your homework to know the true value and postage rates.

Use Paypal.

Buy delivery confirmation.

Don't take the nutters personally.

mooncat
10-Sep-06, 21:36
I just bought some items from bodster on here via ebay, its a very small world...

kwbrown111
10-Sep-06, 21:39
1003 and still rising

Naefearjustbeer
11-Sep-06, 11:49
I think one of my most usefull ebay bargains was a leatherman tool. They retail at approx £100 I got mine for about £40ish. It gets used almost every day at home and work. The knife is sharp enough to fillet fish with. I spent a while browsing before commiting to buy one. When i started bidding I set a budget of £50. When it hit £50 I dipped out and went to a different auction. I noticed that every time I bid the same person would out bid me but not actually win the final auction. This would happen in the the last hour of bidding and happened about 6 times so taking a risk I bid up to £70 and they then outbid me and won. I was then able to win the next one for £40 ish and the twit that kept driving the prices up got his for £70 LOL .

Naefearjustbeer
11-Sep-06, 11:58
We have bought and sold stuff. Once an item got lost in the post but as you say we were able to reclaim the full value of the item from the post office because we used the correct recorded delivery for the value of the item. It was then a simple process to get our money back and to refund the buyer. Very easy to resolve.
I once ordered a welding mask for my brother It came from america in less that 5 days and cost half the price of the exact same item in the uk. Then again I let the wife use ebay and she has bought some rubbish that has been overpriced tatt! You just have to be carefull. What surprises me is the price that new digital cameras cost on ebay coming from hong kong. The price looks ok but by the time you pay up to £45 for delivery and then you have the risk of getting stug for import taxes and VAT at this end it makes them more expensive than a lot of online retailers such as pixmania or ebuyer.

newpark
11-Sep-06, 14:17
Only had 3 bad ebays - bought a mobile and ended up a scam luckily paid via pay pal so got full refund less £15 admin charge. sold mobile never got paid got full refund minus £10 delivery and finally sold a very expensive wedding outfit asked Mum to post for me she never got the correct postage so hence, outfit went missing had to give buyer full refund and only managed to claim the £32 from post office. Things happen you live you learn.

Piglet
11-Sep-06, 19:12
I have bought & sold a few things on ebay. Its great apart from a few time wasters on there but the majority are fine.

feedback 335 & rising

George Brims
11-Sep-06, 20:52
Don't take the nutters personally.

But Sassy, they're running the country!

wild1
11-Sep-06, 22:17
I've bought and sold things on ebay but you still have to be cautious as when I was new to it I did'nt check feedback of one seller I paid for item through paypal never received item so I emailed and asked when the item would be sent, they kept saying it would be shortly I waited 2wks nothing so I left negative feedback for them and they also left me negative feedback and I was fuming so unfair. So now i always check feedback you should have seen there feedback it was all from people complaining of getting riped off.