PDA

View Full Version : BT Enginer Advice

Kevin Milkins
20-Apr-11, 18:29
I have recently applied to have a phone line swiched on at a property in Wick that has two phone sockets and lines to them. Regardless of what I say to potential suppliers, they all seem to want me to part with money for a new line.

Is there any way that I can do a check to see if these lines are in working condition or is there a BT enginer that is looking for a homer?

Thanks for looking.

KM

orkneycadian
20-Apr-11, 19:22
Er, you could try plugging a phone into the sockets and making an outgoing and an incoming call from each? Or is that too obvious?

dx100uk
21-Apr-11, 01:35
urm

if there is the hardware there
then there is no need for an eng.

it'll just be a case of activating the line remotely
dx

Kevin Milkins
21-Apr-11, 07:19
urm

if there is the hardware there
then there is no need for an eng.

it'll just be a case of activating the line remotely
dx

I havn't got a spare phone to plug in, but will try the one from the house today. I phoned the number that is on the box on the wall, but it was dead,
It seems to me that whoever you go with as a phone provider they want to extract as much cash out of you as they can, and telling you that you need a new line is the new scam.

Bobinovich
21-Apr-11, 17:48
When you plug a phone in, if there's a dialtone on the line, dial 17070 and it'll tell you what the number is.

Kevin Milkins
21-Apr-11, 18:46
When you plug a phone in, if there's a dialtone on the line, dial 17070 and it'll tell you what the number is.

Cheers Bob, I will try that this evening.

angusk2
21-Apr-11, 23:11
This happened to me when I moved into my present house,ended up paying BT £120 to activate it,told SKY this when setting my broadband up with them and they gave me £10 off a month for a year so got the money back in the end kind off.Interested to see if you find a solution.

good luck