PDA

View Full Version : Happiness

pmcd
13-Apr-11, 08:55
Chap on the BBC TV Breakfast couch was mumbling something about happiness being a "flaky" concept which didn't sit right with all the grief and woe going on in the world. (All to do with the latest "Happiness Index" debate stimulated by government.)

The precedent lies in Bhutan, idyllic Kingdom in the Himalaya, where the government measures the Gross Happiness Product of the country (or some such, before pedants bite!)

So - is happiness a genuine part of what makes us tick? Do we tick better if we are happy? Or are we - er - happier to wallow in misery, doom and gloom because the world shows us that THIS is the default drive of the human race on this planet?

pig whisperer
13-Apr-11, 09:53
MYy husbands attitude is 'always look on the black side cos things can only get worse' [such a ray of sunshine] & fortunately Im very positive & fairly happy most of the time, i think that you are born happy or you arent.

weezer 316
13-Apr-11, 10:02
I think happiness is what drives everyone on. Well it does me. I spend a fair bit of time moaning but im not often unhappy.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that moaning doesn't equate to unhappiness

gleeber
13-Apr-11, 10:14
I think happiness is what drives everyone on. Well it does me. I spend a fair bit of time moaning but im not often unhappy.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that moaning doesn't equate to unhappiness
Ah but Weezer have you ever considered your moaning may equate to someone else unhappiness? :eek:
I think doom and gloom and unhappiness are connected to the outside world but how we handle it is connected to our inner world. I think there's more doom and gloom around now because of the instant global communications we have at our fingertips. Everyone and everything is interconnected like a web. We're the first generation to have this knowledge overload so time will tell whether the doom and gloom gene is real or whether happiness is a more dominant drive.

pmcd
13-Apr-11, 10:22
People sometimes speak of happiness as a journey, rather than a destination. Is happiness a static state (self-generated or intrinsic) , or can it be communicated to others (transmitted), or picked up from others (received)?

gleeber
13-Apr-11, 10:26
Yes, I think it can. Doom and gloom certainly can so why not happiness?

gleeber
13-Apr-11, 10:32
On reflection I'm not saying it can be transmitted or received but more probably felt.

ducati
13-Apr-11, 10:56
I pick up the transmisions (when I take my tinfoil hat off). When I am with positive people I am positive, when I am with negative people I leave :Razz

alistair harper
13-Apr-11, 12:40
Hello,Why not say hello to the next stranger you meet watch their face and see if it makes you both happy.
Too much doom and gloom in the world a smile costs nothing.

gleeber
13-Apr-11, 12:45
Well Alister it's bad enough acknowledging someone you know and have seen around the town most of your life and getting a blank without getting a reputation for chatting strangers up. :lol:

alistair harper
13-Apr-11, 12:51
a well gleeber did it make you smile if so my work is done take care and live life to the fool.this goes to all people in caithness

gleeber
13-Apr-11, 12:54
Aye it made me smile but it also made me realise how important other people are in my life whether strangers family or friends.

brandy
13-Apr-11, 13:04
i quite often smile at strangers.. and sing out loud as i walk along.. i do get very strange looks at times! but i find that when you smile at someone.. and say good day you tend to get the same in return.. not allways but mostly *grins*

golach
13-Apr-11, 13:08
This thread makes me think of Ken Dodd, I am not sure why.

pmcd
13-Apr-11, 13:57
'Cos it's full of lovable Diddymen?

Kevin Milkins
13-Apr-11, 13:58
Listen to this without tapping your foot or having a whistle, and you will know if your are a grumpy git.

Life Of Brian - Ending (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1lo yjm4SOa0&ei=qJqlTeGrB8mo8AOxx9G5Dw&usg=AFQjCNGTrjpuyE1d8ucIiYHaI5m_IsvWPA)

Vistravi
13-Apr-11, 19:51
Happiness is something we all strive to be either consciously or unconsciously.
I like to be happy and really notice when i'm not.
My son is a very happy boy. He's always smiling and laughing. Playing with him and seeing how i make him happy and giggly makes me very happy.

John Little
13-Apr-11, 19:55
This is Happiness.

The chap in the white suit is an ex student of mine. Leg muscles like steel springs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHlGONToIc

Carole
13-Apr-11, 20:05
Listen to this without tapping your foot or having a whistle, and you will know if your are a grumpy git.

Life Of Brian - Ending (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1lo yjm4SOa0&ei=qJqlTeGrB8mo8AOxx9G5Dw&usg=AFQjCNGTrjpuyE1d8ucIiYHaI5m_IsvWPA)

Thank you for that Kevin - lifted the spirits big time.

oldmarine
14-Apr-11, 03:36
Aye it made me smile but it also made me realise how important other people are in my life whether strangers family or friends.

Looks like you're on to something here.

therealducati
14-Apr-11, 10:10
I am an optimistic pessimist, or a pessimistic optimistic, as I hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Of course, how could I not be happy sharing my life with Ducati (I think that's where the "preparing for the worst" comes in!)