PDA

View Full Version : Threats to the Human race.

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 15:50
What are the greatest threats to the Human race?

Mine are meteorites, disease and climate change

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 15:51

Ourselves.

Gleber2
05-Sep-06, 16:01
Ourselves.
My thoughts also.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 16:06
Two out of three of the choices you gave are things we humans can have an effect on, but Dan Dare or Superman would need to deal with meteorites or similar.

changilass
05-Sep-06, 16:06
Have to agree with the 2 of you, which is why I went for war/terrorism, man-made disaster and polution.[disgust]

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 16:09
Have to agree with the 2 of you, which is why I went for war/terrorism, man-made disaster and polution.[disgust]

And after saying all that, maybe we as individuals can do very little about them.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 16:12
Our misplaced confidence in our own standards.

Billy Boy
05-Sep-06, 16:16

my thought's exactly lol,and religion is at the root of it all[disgust] (war/terrorism)

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 16:19
Our misplaced confidence in our own standards.

Really? I'd like to think it was so simple, but, as one individual, how can I make you who are another who I don't 'know', have no idea where you live, etc etc, live in such a way as to help keep us safe from the effects say of disease or global warming?

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 16:23
Really? I'd like to think it was so simple, but, as one individual, how can I make you who are another who I don't 'know', have no idea where you live, etc etc, live in such a way as to help keep us safe from the effects say of disease or global warming?

How does the government do it?

unicorn
05-Sep-06, 16:25
I also think we are our own biggest threat.

canuck
My first choice was "other" - by that I would mean "humanity itself" and more specifically inhumanity expressed through injustice and lack of mercy.

My second choice got genetic engineering into the mix on the poll results.

Saveman
I'm surprised noone has chosen "Energy Crisis."

The global effect of the decrease in oil availability is not to be underestimated.

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 16:28
I'm surprised noone has chosen "Energy Crisis."

The global effect of the decrease in oil availability is not to be underestimated.

Have you not voted then? You were allowed multichoices! :D

Gleber2
05-Sep-06, 16:31
Rampant consumerism is the underlying cause of most of our problems.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 16:31
Have you not voted then? You were allowed multichoices! :D

I have voted, I choose "Other." I never noticed the multichoice option....oops....:o

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 16:36
Rampant consumerism is the underlying cause of most of our problems.

Good one, I never thought of that though like religious fundamentalism it could be thought of as being a cause of a threat rather than the threat in itself.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 16:39
How does the government do it?

Actually, 'government' should have been one on the list, but brushing that aside for a moment - you originally referred to 'our standards' which i thought meant us as individuals, not as an elected body.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 16:43
Actually, 'government' should have been one on the list, but brushing that aside for a moment - you originally referred to 'our standards' which i thought meant us as individuals, not as an elected body.

I meant the human race's standards as a whole. We're so obsessed with our own perceived freedom to decide what we should and shouldn't do.....and look where it's got us.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 16:55
I meant the human race's standards as a whole. We're so obsessed with our own perceived freedom to decide what we should and shouldn't do.....and look where it's got us.

Yup, look just where - discussing it here on the board but not 'out there' doing anything about it.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 17:00
Yup, look just where - discussing it here on the board but not 'out there' doing anything about it.

If we could really succeed in doing anything for the benefit of all mankind would we not have done it already?

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 17:03
If we could really succeed in doing anything for the benefit of all mankind would we not have done it already?

The key word is if and mankind will never get past that word.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 17:10
The key word is if and mankind will never get past that word.

Now I understand your signature :p ;)

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 17:19
Now I understand your signature

Really?:lol: Well that's great:Razz maybe you can explain it to me - when, you've got past the word if. You see 'if' is hypothetical and like 'should' are words we ought to do without.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 17:20
Really? Well that's great:Razz maybe you can explain it to me - when, you've got past the word if. You see 'if' is hypothetical and like 'should' are words we ought to do without.

You could probably include "ought" in that list too.

....and "probably"? :)

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 17:24

'Might' be an idea too! but returning to the topic, I cannot see Mankind ever resolving the problems that he/she have created - and now we're 'polluting' the Moon as well?

MadPict
05-Sep-06, 17:34
All of the above - one or all will eventually see the end of mankind.

Orgageddon is not far away....

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 17:37

Sorry I'll miss it - I'll be gone before that happens.

_Ju_
05-Sep-06, 17:42
Other: fresh water. There will be a world war over water.

canuck
05-Sep-06, 17:52

I agree with Madpict that they are all threats, but I don't think that any one of them will be the eventual instrument to bring humanity to its end. I think that intrument will be something beyond our modern imaginations.

And it is still far away.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 19:23
Leave it to Mother Nature, she will resolve matters somehow - she usually does somehow or other.

percy toboggan
05-Sep-06, 19:50
Two out of three of the choices you gave are things we humans can have an effect on, but Dan Dare or Superman would need to deal with meteorites or similar.

Bruce Willis?

percy toboggan
05-Sep-06, 19:52
Other: fresh water. There will be a world war over water.

I doubt it. Regional conflicts and wars certainly but not world war.
That will probably be sparked by nuclear proliferation, possibly in your lifetime.I'm assuming you're much younger than I. Many people are.

pultneytooner
05-Sep-06, 19:55

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.:D

percy toboggan
05-Sep-06, 19:55
Rheghead, you forgot the Government's preferred options:

Cheese & Onion crisps.
Hamburgers & fizzy drinks!

pultneytooner
05-Sep-06, 20:09
Insects and viruses are gonna take over the world I tell ya......http://209.85.12.234/3847/26/emo/frightened.gif

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 20:12

Cheese & Onion crisps.

I can see a point here, guaranteed if taken unilaterally to reduce the chances of producing further human generations.:D

canuck
05-Sep-06, 21:08

Cheese & Onion crisps.
Hamburgers & fizzy drinks!

Which ultimately leads to genetic stress, mutation and modification or, from the options above, genetic engineering!

Tiger Jones
05-Sep-06, 21:12
Mother Nature will eventually wipe humans off the face of the Earth.

She'll then get down to the business of healing the planet, so allowing the flora and fauna to get on with their existence.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 21:14
Bruce Willis?

I'm not sure we can count Bruce Willis as a threat to the human race.....

;)

canuck
05-Sep-06, 21:31
I'm not sure we can count Bruce Willis as a threat to the human race.....

;)

I think that Percy was putting him in the superhero category, not the threat category.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Sep-06, 21:50
Think its gonnae be meteorites,cos one day,hasnae happened in a while,but their gonnae get us!!!!:lol: :lol:

Saxo01
05-Sep-06, 23:10
Sounds like the way to go mad max stylee dune buggies mad dogs & shotguns yeehaa

maverick
05-Sep-06, 23:16
Someone one told me that viruses were the biggest threat to the human race....

certainly a damn pest when the computer gets one...

pultneytooner
05-Sep-06, 23:31
The robbed sister who wrote ,”The Matrix” which she says was stolen by the Wachowski brothers stated in the screenplay that humans are not mammals because of the way in which they ravage the earth, multiply and move from place to place killing one another. There are only two such species with this characteristic therefore our true species are one and the same. They are called viruses.http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/thinking.gif

DeePee
06-Sep-06, 21:26
I'd have to go with religion, religion, religion. Oh and tv talent shows.

htwood
06-Sep-06, 23:08
Egocentric leadership, poverty, disease, illiteracy and spiritual emptiness. And not always in that order.

Also agree with Gleber2's comment on consumerism and "conspicuous consumption", and Ju's comment about fresh water. Living here in the wild west, drinking water is a hot topic.

lassieinfife
07-Sep-06, 06:13
mankind politics and religion

katarina
07-Sep-06, 08:18
mankind's preprogrammed propensity to control, destroy and own. In order to gain that control he/she will use force, and justify themselves by religious beliefs, politics, or anything else that they can claim to be an ideal.
The truth is - apart from natural occurences - we can blame nothing other than ourselves.

Lolabelle
07-Sep-06, 09:36
I think that eventually it will most likely be a meteorite and man's obsession with power combined. The bible prophesies that the earth will be knocked off it's axis, so I guess it would most likely take a meteorite to accomplish that.

Whitewater
07-Sep-06, 14:52
To repeat some of the things I said on another thread.

"This planet 'Earth' that we live on, is, in 'Geological' time, a very volatile place. There have been many climate changes, massive volcanic eruptions which we would have difficulty in comprending, polar reversals etc, happening on the planet itself. If we then look at the number of large and small objects which have struck us from outerspace, it is indeed a very dangerous place to be.

I once read that if the history of planet earth, from its birth, were to be condensed into an hour, man would have been in existance for the last 60 seconds. Not very long is it. There is an aweful lot we don't know about, and I think there is lot we don't want to know about. When one of the above happens again it will probably wipe out civilisation as we know it.

Yellowstone park in America sits on top of a massive sea of lava which they think is probably in the crater of one of the "mega" volcanos. Paentologists (spelling) have worked out from geological studies that an eruption in that area is now overdue, they expect one in the next 600 yrs."

That would probably take care of America.

We can dream up all the defences we want, and if we are good (along with the rest of the nations in the world) we could probably have them in place, but I doubt if that would help us. Perhaps the co-operation and help of all the other nations on earth would be too much to expect and probably not achievable. I guess America and Israel wouldn't come to the table if the Arabs were there.

But perhaps I'm being naughty in thinking that.

oldmarine
07-Sep-06, 15:03

Humankind!!!

oldmarine
07-Sep-06, 15:07
To repeat some of the things I said on another thread.
Yellowstone park in America sits on top of a massive sea of lava which they think is probably in the crater of one of the "mega" volcanos. Paentologists (spelling) have worked out from geological studies that an eruption in that area is now overdue, they expect one in the next 600 yrs."

That would probably take care of America.

At least a large portion of it.

oldmarine
07-Sep-06, 15:11
Also agree with Gleber2's comment on consumerism and "conspicuous consumption", and Ju's comment about fresh water. Living here in the wild west, drinking water is a hot topic.

It's certainly a problem here in the desert of Arizona.

katarina
07-Sep-06, 20:09
watter is no a problem in week!

Dreadnought
07-Sep-06, 20:46
The greatest threat to the human race is reality TV.

Soon everyone will want to be 'famous'.
Society will stagnate and then begin to break down because no-one will want to actually work for a living. Law and Order will fall apart because PC Plod and his fellow officers are all auditioning for Simon Cowell and Co. Schools will be empty because all the pupils are either trying to become premier league footballers or trying to marry a premier league footballer.
Already more people vote in Big Brother/X Factor/Celebrity Dancing/In the Jungle etc than vote in General Elections, so politicians will be able to do as they please.

Yup. Reality TV, mankind's greatest threat.

Saveman
07-Sep-06, 22:49
watter is no a problem in week!

Not yet...