PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes

billmoseley
26-Mar-11, 10:53
right has any one up here been brave enough yet to plant their potatoes yet? i'm so tempted but should i wait lololol

Beat Bug
26-Mar-11, 13:01
Mine are still chitting. Might be another week or so before being ready to plant.

puffin croft
27-Mar-11, 22:30
mine have been in for 3 weeks and are up but i must say thay are in the poly, its still to cold to put in outside one hard frost and thats that

Aaldtimer
28-Mar-11, 03:51
Easter Weekend is best up here! Even though it might be snowing!:eek:

gardeninginagale
31-Mar-11, 17:25
Obsessed with getting some earlies in before the end of March. Last year managed it on the 31st! This year got a few Swift and a few Sharpes in on the 21st. If they show too soon and frost is forecast, just pull some earth up over them. Don't worry about burying them. Two only in the polytunnel - don't have room for more - late Feb. Growing well and looking good for a few new tatties mid-May.

billmoseley
03-Apr-11, 16:25
well i have taken the plunge and put them in. lets see what happens.by the time they pop up most of the frost should be done with. he says hopefully

SunnyChick
06-Apr-11, 09:10
This is going to seem soooo silly a question, but I have never ever grown potatoes. Please, can someone walk me through it, from what to do, and when to do it, etc?

cazmanian_minx
06-Apr-11, 10:08
1. Buy some seed potatoes from Homebase/Serendipity/elsewhere.
2. Get some old egg boxes and put the potatoes in them, end with the most 'eyes' upwards, on a sunny windowsill.
3. Wait for them to sprout shoots.
4. When there's little to no chance of another frost, dig a trench about 4" deep and put the spuds in about 12" apart, sprouting ends upwards. Gently cover with earth. (You can also grow potatoes in deep planters on a patio - about 3 to a tub).
5. Once the plants are about 8" tall you need to 'earth up' - pull soil from either side of the plant in a mound up the stem. Repeat 2 or 3 times as the plant grows.
6. Depending on what variety you've planted, dig up in 12-26 weeks and enjoy :)

Beat Bug
06-Apr-11, 18:14
Any potatoes you've not eaten and have started to sprout can also be used to grow a crop. Try a few in pots to see what happens. That's what I did years ago, and got to recognise when they were ready.

billmoseley
09-Apr-11, 16:53
well i put lots more in today carrots,parsnips,swede and beetroot see what happens with them

porshiepoo
10-Apr-11, 16:38
Put mine in yesterday. Don't think I've ever done it so early but we'll see. Trying Kerrs Pink outside this year. Also stuffed in some Belles Blue.
Have had first & second earlies in bags in the PT for a couple of weeks now - nothing showing yet.