PDA

View Full Version : Caithness to Canada - "Young"

sgmcgregor
23-Mar-11, 20:46
Does anyone know how to search marriages in Canada?

I have Donald Young, born 1st March 1843 in Hempriggs, Wick. He was baptised 7th April 1843. Donald was the son of George Young and Isabella Fairweather.

From an application for Poor Relief by his father George in 1888 and 1891 it is known that Donald moved to Canada. In both entries he is recorded as living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. A website at http://automatedgenealogy.com gives the census records for 1901 and 1911 (there was also a special census in 1906 for Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Alberta which recorded population & livestock), and I have been able to track Donald and his family in Canada from the records.

I now know his wife is named Frances, but the records do not give her surname. From the records I can see that Frances moved to Canada in 1857, and Donald moved to Canada in 1873. Therefore they must have married in Canada.

From the 1901 census their eldest child is a daughter named Frances, born circa 1877. Maggie was born circa 1879; Donald born circa 1880; Howard born circa 1888.

I'm hoping someone can educate me as to how I can research marriages in Canada - I'm not having any luck in finding a site comparable to Scotlands People.

If anyone can offer any advice I would be very greatful.

Steven

Bonnie Parker-Duke
23-Mar-11, 21:29
In Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621 - 1967, there are 2 listings for:

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967 (http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1091&enc=1)
about Donald Young

Name:Donald YoungSpouse:Frances MartinEvent Year:1871-1875Event:Mariage (Marriage) Religion:CatholiquePlace of Worship or Institution:Valleyfield (Greffe de Valleyfield) (Index)Province:Québec (Quebec)
as well as:

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967 (http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1091&enc=1)
about Donald Young

Name:Donald YoungSpouse:Frances MartinEvent Year:1875Event:Mariage (Marriage) Religion:PresbyterianPlace of Worship or Institution:St-Louis-de-Gonzague (Beauharnois) St-Louis-de-Gonzague (Presbyterian Church)Province:Québec (Quebec)
Apparently, they were married in both churches?

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing for yu!

Bonnie Parker-Duke

sgmcgregor
24-Mar-11, 07:13
Bonnie,

Excellent, thank you very much for the information.

No idea why the marriage should be recorded in two churches. Unless this might mean that Frances was Catholic?

Steven

canadagirl
25-Mar-11, 16:12
I don't know about the east coast, but in B.C. we have to check the nearest large city/town registry. Remember that going back some time there weren't many towns. Sometimes it seems that people dropped off into space on coming to Canada!

sgmcgregor
25-Mar-11, 20:48
canadagirl,

I have a four families who ended up in Canada, and for 3 of them I have managed to find details. There is Bartlett, and there is Miller - for both of these I have been in contact with relatives. Bartlett were in Yellow Grass, Saskatchewan; Miller were in Toronto, Ontario.

For Oman I have managed to track details of the family in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. However I haven't been able to contact anyone about this line yet. It appears that there is nobody researching this line.

The final family is Young in Montreal - not much luck with this family at all.

Never mind, I'll keep at it and hopefully will find something. Hope I don't have to visit a registry office in Canada. I don't think my budget will stretch that far!

canadagirl
26-Mar-11, 00:53
Most provincial capital cities should have an online register that you can get basic info from. I have only used the one in Victoria, where I could do a basic search and then more info had to be paid for. We have capital cities for the provinces and that would be where to start- capital of Saskatchewan is Regina, Quebec is Quebec City, Ontario is Toronto, and Manitoba is Winnipeg. They should have some kind of online records check. Cities back east have more churches so don't know about those records. Something to be aware of is names could change between Scotland and here for whatever reason. My grandmother's middle name in Scotland was macdonald and it became campbell in canada - go figure! The people at the Vital Statistics (that's what we call registry) office are quite helpful too. I am on Vancouver Island and would be happy to do any local checking for anyone who needs it- within reason.

Bonnie Parker-Duke
26-Mar-11, 18:02
Who are your Millers? I have a Catherine Ann *Kitty* Miller in my family b. 1833 Ontario, Canada who we know nothing else about. Related?

Bonnie Parker-Duke

sgmcgregor
26-Mar-11, 21:58
Bonnie,

I'm afraid there isn't a connection (as far as I know). My Miller family moved to Canada in the early 1900s, so it is doubtful there is a link. Nigel Roberton Miller went to Canada first, then came back to Wick and married Christina "Teenie" Miller in 1912. They then moved back to Toronto. Teenie is my Miller family link.

Sorry I can't be of more help with your Miller enquiry.

Steven

Mamie_2
21-Apr-11, 22:41
For vital events in Canada you do have to look at each proviinve separately. The most complete ONLINE listings are for Ontario and Quebec(Drouin Collection). Just because someone's vital events are recorded in the Drouin collections does not necessarily mean they were Catholic. The next best ONLINE listing is for British Columbia - most other provinces have little or no ONLINE presence. You need to contact the Dept of Vital Statistics for the province of interest. Absolutely nothing like ScotlandsPeople or the great resources in Scandanavia.

Privacy rules apply in all cases but vary slightly from province to province. Most have email addresses lol so you ususally don't have to actually visit the office. A list of them should be available on www.cyndislist.com

Mamie