PDA

View Full Version : Veg Box - What to Plant in March/April?

SunnyChick
19-Mar-11, 11:20
Hey folks,

What vegetables should I be thinking of growing in my veg box over the next 6 weeks or so?

Veg box is south facing and relatively exposed.

Last years strawberry plants still in there looking sorry for themeselves. What do I do to revive them/prepare them for summer 2011?

Hope you can help. Thanks :D

gardeninginagale
31-Mar-11, 17:35
Just cut off all the old leaves and dead stuff from you strawberries, and they should look after themselves.

I don't know th size of your veg box, but right now I would sow fast growing stuff. Lettuce, mixed salad leaves, rocket. And meantime use a windowsill to start off in cell trays things like beetroot, dwarf broad beans, dwarf peas, for planting out once you have eaten and enjoyed your early salads.

SunnyChick
01-Apr-11, 13:38
Thanks for this. Sounds like a good place to start. Veg box is pretty small, only about 4 feet by 14 feet or thereabouts I'd guess. Will get my coldframe sorted asap! :O)

Beat Bug
01-Apr-11, 14:52
How about some early spuds? I grew Pentland Javelin last year, and had a great crop of very tasty white skinned ones, which lasted me for ages. I have some chitting right now, ready to plant in the next few days in my raised veg bed. I also grew some carrots, spring onions and beetroot, but was too late planting them so they didn't come to anything. But my courgetts did well, so will be growing them again this year.

linda.borgie
05-Apr-11, 20:51
beetroot, spring onion, courgette, kale, peas, beans and herbs are all good growers and don't require much attention.
Torrisdale Tunnel (facebook) between Tongue & Bettyhill, will have a small selection of all the tried and tested favourites and are good hardy plants