PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Bus Service - Thurso to Caithness General, Wick.

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 14:57
I gather this service is to be discontinued through lack of demand - as over 60's can travel for free with their passes, thus reducing the numbers needing the service. Donations are no longer accepted. Is this the story and how do folk feel about it?

katarina
31-Aug-06, 15:05
OMG! this can't be true! as soon as I get my bus pass, there is no bus! Story of my life!!!

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 15:07
Bus pass or not, on the hospital bus I think you still had to pay something but I don't really know as I never used it.

Bill Fernie
31-Aug-06, 16:40
Kingetter has only given half a story here.

The Hospital Bus Service from Thurso is paid for by Thurso Community Council. They have advised Rapsons they wish only to pay for the service on a Sunday from now on. It is only the midweek services on a Wednesday that is no ceased. The last service for a Wednesday night was last night 30 August 2006.

The Sunday hospital bus service is still available and has pick up points in Thurso then to Halkirk before continuing to Caithness General Hospital in Wick and later returning to the same points.

Other bus times for Caithness can be found on the Rapsons web site www.rapsons.com

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 19:27
Kingetter has only given half a story here.

The Hospital Bus Service from Thurso is paid for by Thurso Community Council. They have advised Rapsons they wish only to pay for the service on a Sunday from now on. It is only the midweek services on a Wednesday that is no ceased. The last service for a Wednesday night was last night 30 August 2006.

The Sunday hospital bus service is still available and has pick up points in Thurso then to Halkirk before continuing to Caithness General Hospital in Wick and later returning to the same points.

Other bus times for Caithness can be found on the Rapsons web site www.rapsons.com (http://www.rapsons.com)

Thank you for that. I think a virtual 'door to door' service might be preferable to the regular bus service particularly for those with mobility problems.
I'm sorry that I didn't have all the information about this matter - my source is:- From the John O' Groat Journal, dated Friday August 25th, 2006, pg 19.
"The days are numbered for the long-established bus service between Thurso and Caithness General Hospital in Wick.
Falling usage in recent years have led operators, Thurso Community Council, to pull the plug on the twice-weekly runs.
They agreed this week to cancel the Wednesday evening service with immediate effect.The Sunday afternoon run will also be axed when the community council's funding runs out, unless another organisation is persuaded to step in."
There is more in the article including -
"Secretary Jean Lipa said that reducing the runs to Sunday-only would leave enough in the kitty to keep operating until January."
I now ask, is there more than the Groat knows?