PDA

View Full Version : Miss Marple is that youuuuuuuuu?

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 14:24
Right, I was travelling down the A9 yesterday toward Perth, tootling along minding my own business (not many cars on road anyhow) when suddenly from nowhere this flying red matchbox type car appeared in the rearview mirror.
Thinking nothing of it I carried on going, tut tutting as young boy racer in said matchbox flies by. I mean why do they need to do this? I was doing 80 - hardly sitting still is it?
Anyway off he goes and I was quite suprised a little later when I caught him up suddenly only doing 65. I hate to overtake boy racers as I don't want them to think I'm inviting them into a game of tag (Been there - not a nice experience) but I couldn't stand the pace any longer so I started to overtake him on the dual carriageway. It may have been my imagination but I was suddenly up to 80 again and not overtaking him - he was obviously speeding up on my left in an attempt to stop me passing. So, with white knuuckles and bit lips I pushed on and managed to get past just for boy racer to then zoom past me in the matchbox again. Off he went into the sunrise.
Round the next corner there he is again, going ridiculously slow. So unintimidated I checked the road and just as I'm about to pull out and overtake he pulls the ultimate attack - The washer bottle.
Water over my entire screen - couldn't see a thing. So I put the wipers on that ridiculously fast speed and got by as quick as I could, again tut tutting at the childishness of the boy racers in cars that look like just a small gust of wind would see them on the other side of the coast.
Before long he was right up my bum again (one of those times I'd have loved one of those corny, neon says that light up in the back and say 'Do you want me to open the boot? NOW BACK OFF!)
This time I'm gonna give him an unimpressed glare as he goes by. so I turn and stare as he goes by -
Oh my god - Miss Marples just flown by! He was a she, and she was 80 if she was a day and to boot she had a bonnet on her head, the likes of which I've only seen on the T.V at ascot, it looked like something out of a comedy sketch, I had to laugh!!!!
Just goes to show I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about the small cars being driven very fast by only boy racers - Miss Marple had a bit of zing left in her old bones. lol

Miss Marple had the last laugh anyway, all of a sudden I clicked as to why she kept slowing down. Oops!
Now I don't think those speed cameras flashed, at least I never saw them but than again I didn't know they were there - obviously Miss Marple did!

Ricco
31-Aug-06, 14:30
Ah, PorshiePoo. You're a gonner. You never see them flash at you - happens before they appear in your rear-view. Start praying!:confused

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 14:32
But those cameras do work, especially the one catching northbound traffic by the Ballinluig junction - I got points on a clean licence to prove it!

Billy Boy
31-Aug-06, 14:39
well lol, if you were doing 80 mph do you deserve to get a fine:confused:

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 14:45
Actually I don't think seeing the camera flash is as bad as seeing the flashing lights growing ever larger in your rearview mirror - you can sweat buckets till its passed.

katarina
31-Aug-06, 14:57
Actually I don't think seeing the camera flash is as bad as seeing the flashing lights growing ever larger in your rearview mirror - you can sweat buckets till its passed.

nor are they as bad as seeing the flashing lights and hearing the wail of an ambulance, fire engine and police car - that is if you are still lucky enough to be able to hear/see them after you've crashed.

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 14:57
Eek! I ain't gonna get away with it am I! I'm gonna have no nails left till I know whether I was flashed!
God, heres a thought - what if I was flashed several times? I could lose me blinkin licence - my hitherto immaculate licence I might add!
How long does it take for them to send the dreaded naughty card?

No, surely I would have seen the flash???????? I've seen it before when others have been flashed so I would have seen it definately .......wouldn't I?:confused
Besides, 80's not baaaaaaad! Granted it's not the limit but in my defence, you have to do this to stop traffic backlogging don't you?and people honking horns?
Ah yes, I did already say there was nothing much else on the road didn't I!
O I'm doomed!! Doomed I tell you!!

katarina
31-Aug-06, 15:02
and all because you tried to get the better of a boy racer, who turned out to be Miss Marple. Shame on you!
OMG! was that you in the other car?????

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 15:03
nor are they as bad as seeing the flashing lights and hearing the wail of an ambulance, fire engine and police car - that is if you are still lucky enough to be able to hear/see them after you've crashed.

As I pointed out, in my very watery and dodgy defence, there was nothing else on the road.
Had there been I would have been crawling along at the designated 60, been late for my daughters orthopaedic appointments at Edinburgh hospital despite the fact that I left at 5.30 in the morning and still managed to get lost in stupid Edinburgh only just making the 1.30 allotted time.

Gosh! Miss Marple was up early, suited and booted, I wonder where she was going. Hmmmmm!

Sorry Katarina, I'm not playing the seriousness of my crime down. Really!
I'd be the first to admonish the badness of boy racers (and their like) doing ridiculous speeds - as I did in my first post.
I was going too fast I admit. I have no defence really cos I should have known better.

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 15:04
In my case, 62 in a 50 limit I think and I heard from Perth within a month - as I had a hire car and had to be traced through the company, that delayed things a little but I heard within a month. Wherever you were, if within Perthshire, I think they're on to a 'nice little earner'! If you were caught and we won't assume you were YET - you may get an option to pay a fine and send in both parts of the driving licence within a time limit - DO IT or you'll end up with another fine on top.

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 15:05
and all because you tried to get the better of a boy racer, who turned out to be Miss Marple. Shame on you!
OMG! was that you in the other car?????

Honestly I wasn't trying to get the better of him, sorry her!
I just wanted to get past when she was doing speeds I thought were a tad crawling like.
I'll know better next time won't I! If there is a next time that is, I may not have a licence now.

Ricco
31-Aug-06, 15:13
Gosh! Miss Marple was up early, suited and booted, I wonder where she was going. Hmmmmm!

Sounds like she was locked and loaded as well. I think it can take about two weeks for the notification to come through. I'm waiting with baited breath as I think I may have been caught doing 31 in a 30 limit - I'll be really upset if I am. :mad:

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 15:15
In my case, 62 in a 50 limit I think and I heard from Perth within a month - as I had a hire car and had to be traced through the company, that delayed things a little but I heard within a month. Wherever you were, if within Perthshire, I think they're on to a 'nice little earner'! If you were caught and we won't assume you were YET - you may get an option to pay a fine and send in both parts of the driving licence within a time limit - DO IT or you'll end up with another fine on top.

Or in my case probably, send it all and don't get the licence back at all.

Mind you, on our way back today I did get the kids writing down the exact co ordinates of the cameras. lol. Just kidding!

Did have a giggle on the way back though, albeit a very childish one!
You have to remember that my 2 girls are 15 now so they find most things amusing!
Well, we were at Broxden services having a snackette and one of my daughters starts laughing and tells me one of the lorry drivers has just got out and had a pee at the side of the lorry.
I didn't find it funny at first cos I had the girls with me but they couldn't see anything as such so I then found the funny side to it.
Anyway when he went in to get a coffee or whatever (obviously not to use the loo. Yuk!) we left a note on his cab window saying 'We know what you did'.
Exceptionally childish I know but we were in bits as we left the parking lot - god my life is soooo dull!
I didn't want to cause panic to the driver though so I did leave a bottom attachment saying 'Just kidding, we saw you take a pee'. (I don't believe I'm admitting to this).

By the way, the lorry was one of the ones from Scrabster. That company that has the 2 horses heads on the front of the cabs.

Rheghead
31-Aug-06, 15:15
I just wanted to get past when she was doing speeds I thought were a tad crawling like.

Is 65mph really a tad slow? I very rarely go above 60 mph on the A9 and if I do then it is because I've crept over unintentionally. It is not an 'oh holier than thou attitude', it is just that I've seen the damage that excessive speed can do. I'd hate to kill someone on the roads, it would be on my concience til the day I die if I did. As for driving at slow speeds can cause frustration, yes, this does happen, but it would be substantiated in the original post if the speed was ~30mph on a clear stretch, but nothing makes me think that this is the case.

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 15:30
Is 65mph really a tad slow? I very rarely go above 60 mph on the A9 and if I do then it is because I've crept over unintentionally. It is not an 'oh holier than thou attitude', it is just that I've seen the damage that excessive speed can do. I'd hate to kill someone on the roads, it would be on my concience til the day I die if I did. As for driving at slow speeds can cause frustration, yes, this does happen, but it would be substantiated in the original post if the speed was ~30mph on a clear stretch, but nothing makes me think that this is the case.

Maybe that was just another dodgy, watery attempt at a defence on my part!

No, I completely agree. Driving too fast is dangerous and in areas that have limits of 30,40,50 I never, ever break the limit.
I think it was just that I had so far to go and the fact that there was nothing else on the road - except Miss Marple of course!

Moira
31-Aug-06, 15:31
As far as I know, if you're doing within 20 miles of the legal limit, you get the chance of paying a fixed fine & accepting 3 penalty points on your licence.

I got "done" at the Ballinluig junction a few years ago, travelling at 68 mph in a 50 mph zone - £60 fine & 3 points. My "excuse" was I saw the dual-carriageway sign, speeded up to pass a lorry, oblivious to the 50 mph warning signs, which just goes to show I wasn't concentrating too well - the warning signs are just a bit obvious!

It was about two weeks later that the dreaded brown envelope arrived here. Worse than that, it was addressed to my hubby as owner of the vehicle & he took great glee in "spragging" me to the authorities [disgust]

All for the sake of a "stress management" course in Perth :o

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 15:39
It was about two weeks later that the dreaded brown envelope arrived here. Worse than that, it was addressed to my hubby as owner of the vehicle & he took great glee in "spragging" me to the authorities [disgust]

Hahahaha, I've done the same to my hubby - twice!
He'll take much delight in me getting caught, especially as I'm always laying down the law about limits etc when he's driving.

footie chick
31-Aug-06, 15:46
Hubby got done by hidden camera on Saturday letter arrived recorded on Monday fixed fine and three points

rockchick
31-Aug-06, 18:26
In our relationship I'm the one with the leaden foot - I rarely follow the posted speed limit outside of towns. My husband, on the other hand, rarely breaks the speed limit (which drives me absolutely insane!)

Anyways, who gets caught by a speed camera? Not me!!! hee hee....Mr Rock got dinged outside Glasgow at Steppes, where the speed limit dips quite quickly from 50 to 30, just before a traffic light. Nasty place to put a speed camera! I saw the flash, but he wouldn't believe me, until two weeks later when the brown envelope was dropped through the post.

While I still haven't got caught!...course, I've never been in an accident; maybe if I had I'd respect the speed limit a bit more.

_Ju_
31-Aug-06, 18:28

Porshie, she was only going home.......offcourse after a night on the tiles!!!![lol]
I loved reading that. Thanks for sharing it![lol]

porshiepoo
31-Aug-06, 19:09
Porshie, she was only going home.......offcourse after a night on the tiles!!!![lol]
I loved reading that. Thanks for sharing it![lol]

Glad to be able to provide some light entertainment Ju.
I must admit it made me giggle.lol. Mind you with Paris coming up tomorrow for a visit I'm sure I'm gonna be doing lots more of that. lol.

Elenna
31-Aug-06, 20:22
What a complete laugh, Porshiepoo! There wasn't any possibility that Miss Marple was really a boy racer in drag, though? ;) Nah...'course not....[lol]

I hope you didn't get caught by the camera after all, and that was too funny about leaving a note for the lorry driver...maybe he will use the gents next time!

cuddlepop
31-Aug-06, 20:27
You managed to raise a smile from me after a very bad day.Who needs therapy when you've got the likes of Porshipoo[lol]

connieb19
01-Sep-06, 14:16
I find it unbelievable that the same person who made such a song and dance about what might have happened when her fence was taken down, and all the rant, rant,grrrrrrrr, that went on about it, is driving down the road like a maniac at over 80mph, with kids in her car, and no though of the consequences had there been an accident. :~(
Speeding like this is not in the least bit amusing, especially with kids in the car.
If this had been a boyracer whos car her kids had been in I bet it would be a different story.

sam
01-Sep-06, 17:42
well said connie i fully agree with you on this.
porshiepoo what would you have done if you had, had a blow out in one of your tyre's at that speed or had an accident?
and yet your only concern was if you had been caught on camera.
a mate of mine was giving me a lift home the other day when some idiot in a car came round a corner towards us, he was obviously going far to fast and had to take the corner wide, i dread to think what the consequence would of been had we been a minute earlier.
so why dont you think of others and kill your speed before you kill some poor innocent person:(

angela5
01-Sep-06, 18:55
I'm so glad i logged on. Nothing has changed.[lol]

katarina
01-Sep-06, 21:33
Excuse me for being niave but isn't the speed limit 60? 70 at most? So therefore I would think 65 was about right?
Not having a go - and I did have a laugh at the lorry driver bit. I think I would have been tempted to write a wee bit more - something personal perhaps?

connieb19
01-Sep-06, 21:48
Lorry driver driving through Essex. Stops at a red light, and a car pulls up behind him, the door opens and a blonde woman gets out, runs up to the door and knocks on his window.
The lorry driver lowers the window and the woman says: "Hi, my name's Heather, you're losing your load from your lorry"
The lorry driver grunts and winds his window back up and as the lights change he pulls away, only to get caught at the next set of lights, where the blonde again knocks on the window, gets him to lower it and as if it never happened says: "Hi, my name's Heather, you're losing your load from your lorry"
He again rolls his eyes and pulls away as the lights change... once again he gets caught by the lights and he sees her running up once more. She again knocks on the window, he lowers it and again she comes out with: "Hi, my name's Heather, you're losing your load from your lorry"
He says something rather rude under his breath and roars away from the lights shaking his head. He swears like mad as he sees the next set of lights turning red and the woman's car tearing up behind him. Before she can get out he throws open his door, jumps down and legs it back to her car. She rolls her window down as he knocks and he says: "Hi, my name's Dave, and I'm driving a damn gritter!

pultneytooner
01-Sep-06, 22:14
I was doing 80 - hardly sitting still is it?
!

Be ashamed, be very ashamed...[lol]

porshiepoo
01-Sep-06, 22:26
I think embarrassed is more to the point - Miss Marple overtook me ..... in her bonnett! [lol]

pultneytooner
01-Sep-06, 23:29
I think embarrassed is more to the point - Miss Marple overtook me ..... in her bonnett! [lol]
lolol, that's what I meant.....you were shown up by miss marple, incidently I remember two catholic nuns in a gold mini doing handbrake turn doughnuts in the dunnets garage carpark........tis true.[lol]

porshiepoo
02-Sep-06, 08:05
lolol, that's what I meant.....you were shown up by miss marple, incidently I remember two catholic nuns in a gold mini doing handbrake turn doughnuts in the dunnets garage carpark........tis true.[lol]

Hahahahaha, that beats miss Marple any day of the week!

Kingetter
02-Sep-06, 11:52
Excuse me for being niave but isn't the speed limit 60? 70 at most? So therefore I would think 65 was about right?
Not having a go - and I did have a laugh at the lorry driver bit. I think I would have been tempted to write a wee bit more - something personal perhaps?

Oops! Not to make things worse for anyone, but in the area of road being referred to there's a 50 mph limit, not 60 and I'm quoting from my own case and paperwork. I was doing 62 in a 50.

angela5
02-Sep-06, 12:56
Doing 120 in a 65, he knew he was in trouble when the cop pulled in behind him with the roof lights on. Figuring he could just lose the cop he floored the Ferrari. 130, 140, 150 and still the cop was right on his tail. 170, 180, still could not ditch the cop. Giving up he pulled over.

The cop approached the car," Give me one damn good reason why I shouldn't give you the biggest ticket this world has ever seen"

"Well, he stated, " Just last week my wife ran off with a cop."

"SO WHAT!!!" the cop screamed.

"I thought you were trying to bring her back.":roll:

Niall Fernie
02-Sep-06, 13:07
This popped up in google (no I do not read the record):

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17661122&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=speed-kills-lorry-driver--name_page.html

highlander
02-Sep-06, 13:13
I hate travelling at the best of times, and find between golspie to invergorden the worst, this may answer a few questions.
http://www.nscp.co.uk/index.php

angela5
02-Sep-06, 13:14

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17661122&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=speed-kills-lorry-driver--name_page.html

Too many people choose to continue speeding. It's the same old saying, "it'll never happen to me.

sam
02-Sep-06, 13:14

thats 13 miles over the limit, yet porshiepoo thinks 30 miles over is ok[disgust]

sam
02-Sep-06, 13:16
Too many people choose to continue speeding. It's the same old saying, "it'll never happen to me.

and it usually doesnt lol, its usually some innocent person who is the one that gets killed:(

angela5
02-Sep-06, 13:17
thats 13 miles over the limit, yet porshiepoo thinks 30 miles over is ok

Kids in the car aswell!:eek: And just to overtake a boyracer (that turned out to be an old dear)[disgust]

porshiepoo
02-Sep-06, 14:54
Yup! It's amazing the speed you can get out of a reliant robin on a down hill stretch! :eek:

connieb19
02-Sep-06, 19:56
Yup! It's amazing the speed you can get out of a reliant robin on a down hill stretch! :eek:Great fun for the kids though eh? :roll:

porshiepoo
02-Sep-06, 20:22
Great fun for the kids though eh? :roll:

Yep! Especially when they're tied to the back on skate boards - they actually do love it!

footie chick
02-Sep-06, 20:50
Yup! It's amazing the speed you can get out of a reliant robin on a down hill stretch! :eek:

What speed did you get to going uphill at Berridale {front page of the groat} was that you or Del Boy paying Caithness a visit :lol:

Billy Boy
02-Sep-06, 21:07
Yup! It's amazing the speed you can get out of a reliant robin on a down hill stretch!

so this is where you abandoned it porshiepoo:lol:
http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/24/68/2a_1.JPG

maverick
02-Sep-06, 21:13
Its better to be 10 mins late in this world than 5 mins early in the next!

Billy Boy
02-Sep-06, 21:16
Its better to be 10 mins late in this world than 5 mins early in the next!

someone once told me its better to be known as mrs billy boy late, that the late mrs billy boy.
how very tue;)